GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

P1345 help

This is a discussion on P1345 help within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Help with code p1345. I just put a used engine into my 1997 Tahoe 5.7. I have used a scanner ...

P1345 help

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Help with code p1345. I just put a used engine into my 1997 Tahoe 5.7.
    I have used a scanner to rest the code and it comes back shortly after start up.
    I have checked to see if I have the dis. Set at TDC (hope I am not off one tooth)
    If I were off a tooth would the truck run?
    I looked on this and other forums and found some things to CK
    Yes I am getting some play in the rotor (will a new gear fix the code?)
    I have tried to move the Dis. And I can get the code to go away but the engine runs like crap. (Yes I know I can not change the timing this way.)
    Also is there a way to test the cam sensor?
    The scanner I am using dose not show me cam retard. So I tried to tune by ear.
    Also the tach dose not seem to read. Some time it will lag behind or read lower then the scanner (this is not a new problem) with moving the Dis. the seems to be working.(but I get the P1345 code.)
    The used engine I installed has 152K on it. The Dis. is from the first engine it had 184K on it.

Thank you for the help.

Re: P1345 help

Sorry I can't help, I am having the same problem with a 98 5.7. My problem started after I replaced the intake manifold gasket to take care of a leak, 127k miles. I can't get the code to erase even messing with the distributor.

That is a timing code ......Dont try to fix yourself . Just take to the dealer and have hime reset the distibuter . This take a computer to be done properly.
    sorry guys not a good speller

I got a scan tool that will erase the code for me, but it just comes back. I want to set it back to TDC but I can't find the tan/black striped wire to bypass the electronic spark timing. My scan tool doesn't have cam retard capabilities so am I better off taking it to the dealer?

the tan/black wire is for tbi trucks 95 and older.
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

thanks NEUMANNZZ,

whyshymass, check out this post if you haven't already, says even if the distributor is off by one tooth it will cause a P1345 code to come up. Let me know if you get your problem fixed

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/...ighlight=p1345

Yeah to dealer or just to a shop with a computer . My buddy did the same thing and it only cost him 45 bucks to redo it all .

problem fixed! took it to a garage and got it scanned. Distributor was a tooth off, I pulled distributor and turned rotor a little and no more P1345 code.

Great !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you everyone for al the input it was a big help. I talked to a tech at the dealer he said I could be of one tooth and run well and flag the CK engine light. I am waiting for Time and a different scan tool to reset the code and ck the CAM retard. Thanks again and I will let you know how it works out.

P1345 help

I have a 1999 4.3L with a P1345 code. It has a lack of power and noise coming from the intake. It started 2 weeks after a backfire and replacing the coil. Where should I look?

1345 is a timing code . Run it into the dealer ship to see if the timing is off. Witch it is ... Then just have them reset it. Its all computer controled so dont try it yourself.

Could it be a timing chain?

I am not gonna say no to that , but now days with computer controled trucks its really hard to hurt the timing chain . Now ten years ago I would have said yes more than likely it is. Your best bet would be drop the 50 dollars at the dealership and have them tell you what it is before you start spending money on stuff you dont need. If i was gonna tell you to replace something it would be the camshaft crankshaft positioning sensors. That is what that code is really all about. Once agian i can be wrong and this is just my opion , but for the sake of money just take it somewhere that can tell you what the real problem is or some where that has a sensor reading tool (most autozone are starting to carry these ) note the sensor reading tool is different from the obd2 code reading tool. If you can find one of those is should tell you if you have a bad sensor. And if your auto zone has a sensor tool they would read them for free! Good luck man let me know what you find out! How is the truck acting is it spark knocking or anything!

It lacks power and I'm getting a noise from the air induction system. I would think if I had a bad sensor it would have flaged a code for that. I would think it was like our FICM SYNC on a
    6.0L. That tells the PCM the cam and crank are in time. We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by estebbin
    Could it be a timing chain?
    could also be a worn out distributor gear. Ive seen it MANY times