***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Intake manifold gasket problem on 2000 5.7L Vortec

This is a discussion on Intake manifold gasket problem on 2000 5.7L Vortec within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hey all. I just bought my 2000 escalade about 4 months ago with 57000 miles on it. One of the ...

Question Intake manifold gasket problem on 2000 5.7L Vortec

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Hey all. I just bought my 2000 escalade about 4 months ago with 57000 miles on it. One of the things the dealer did to the truck before i bought it was change the intake manifold gasket, which i know is a common problem with this block. I now have 60000 on it and the engine leaves a drop of oil every morning on my garage floor. After some investigation on my part, and pulling the distributor out to get a better look, i came to the conclusion that their intake repair didn't hold up for ****. The silicone looked like it was pushed out the back, front seemed ok. I called the dealer back (Thorstad Chevy in Madison) and told the used cars sales manager my problem and how i thought it was the intake again. The had me drop it off, they evaluated the problem, and found the intake was leaking. Imagine that.

Now today i spoke with the mechanic or lead, not sure which, and asked him a couple of questions on how he is letting the silicone cure before starting the motor. He told me that the motor is apart right now, and that they put the bead of silicone in the galley and will reassemble the motor tomorrow morning. I questioned what he was reassembling, he said the intake and accessories. That is how they did the dry time on the silicone was letting the bead dry, then mount the intake on. I find this very interesting and question this procedure. I have always put my bead down, bolted my intake on, then ran the engine the next day. Is his methods practiced or common, or is this the reason i had a leak in less than 3 thousand miles? Or was it a fluke?

Sorry for the book here, just wanted to get the whole story down. I have a feeling i will be doing it myself again this summer. But what do i know. I work on airplanes, not cars........

Re: Intake manifold gasket problem on 2000 5.7L Vortec

My 99 Denali drips coolant..haven't fixed it yet but I'm in the same boat...anyways, on the curing thing I always let the sealant "skin" and then assemble and let dry for 24hrs then operating temps...By skinning it only keeps it from squirting out when torqued...I dunno..that's my O.Only takes a few minutes to skin.usually pretty good when youcan touch it without it sticking to your fingers.

It should be assemble well it is still wet. If it is already cured it wont even stick to the intake and not seal for sh!t.

Just a little update to my dilema. I have found out, that the guy i was talking to was the service writer and he didn't know which way is up. I spoke with the mechanic that actually worked on my truck, and he told me his procedures which were corect and did not involve letting the sealant dry over night without having the intake on. So all is well.