If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Headlight Adjustment

This is a discussion on Headlight Adjustment within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have a 2006 Silverado that I recently lowered 4/6. It now seems that my headlights shine high, i've even ...

formerly 2002ssSilverado

Question Headlight Adjustment

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have a 2006 Silverado that I recently lowered 4/6. It now seems that my headlights shine high, i've even been flashed a few times. I wouldn't have thought that lowering the back 2 inches more than the front should have made a big difference. Maybe its just my mind messing with me........Anyways if you think that my headlights need to be adjusted how can i do this on a 06'? Thanks in advance...
    1999 2 Door Tahoe

Semper Paratus

Re: Headlight Adjustment

Yes I would like to know as well
    White 2007 NNBS 5.3

if im not mistaken, there are little like screws that are located above the lamps that adjust the aim (high to low) of your headlights....might want to wait for more replies though

Quote Originally Posted by simple02
    if im not mistaken, there are little like screws that are located above the lamps that adjust the aim (high to low) of your headlights....

There is no "t" in Dexron wilbilt's Avatar

Yes, if you lower the rear more than the front, it will make the lights shine higher.

Similar to hooking up a heavy trailer.

1988 C-1500 Silverado. Olympic White. RCLB, 5.7 TBI, 700R4.

resurrected post.
    Any other info on this topic would be very helpful.

Blackbike82

Its the screw in the center between the L shaped headlight release. Small star drive just turn it on way or the other. Lowering 2 in more in back is exaclty like towing a decent sized trailer. Since the trucks have such wide beams I get flashed too. With the high 6 mod they don't like it when you flash back and they deffinately know you didn't have your brights on. Just a hint park in front of the garage for a good level to adjust to from 10feet away from the garage door, lowering the beans an inch should should do the trick.
    03, 1500 Z71, K&N CAI, Brush Guard, Tint, LED strobes on Brush Guard, Siren, Phantom Signal LED undercover lightbar, Signal Mini Phantom led sides, rear led strobes. Hi-4 mod, Silverstar HI/LO/Fog/hella Aeroturbine 3030XL muffler, Signal Hideaway strobe kit.

hmmm.....I read on another forum that there are 2 screws, one for the up and down adjustment and another for side to side.
    To eliminate the possibility of disturbing the factory side to side setting, please clarify the location of both screws so I don't mess up the factory side to side adjustment.
    Thanks!

To adjust your lights
    On a level place pull your truck up to a garage door with your lights on.
    Take a roll of masking tape and tape cross hairs (+) where the lights shine on the garage.
    Now back up 25 feet and look to see where the lights shine in reference to the cross hairs (+).
    Adjust both screws to get the lights back into the cross hairs (+) that you marked when your truck was close to the garage door.
    Last edited by gmsuv; 01-23-2007 at 07:19 AM.

Pimpin' in style

I go to the local grocery store at night; they have long flat level sections of pavement and solid evenly colored walls of the back of the store. Park 25 feet from the wall then measure from the ground to the center of the headlamp. Now transfer that measurement to the wall with off colored masking tape (painters blue works well). Also mark the perpendicular measure straight ahead to the wall making a + for either headlamp. Now turn on the lights (assuming they were off) and adjust both screws (located on the tops of the headlamps, usually torx screws) until the most intense part of the beam is centered on the +. Even guys with stock trucks should look into this, the factory rarely gets the adjustment right.
    Removing road reflectors in a neighborhood near you- Dennis

This is a major safety item that is overlooked WAY to often!

I use my "HOPPY" Headlight aiming set ($$$). There are several adapters in the set to use on different style head lights. You calibrate them for your floor level, and go from there.

Yes, this is a professional shop set, and a must to get it right!

The aim is checked on my home fleet at least once a year, when any work that may change ride height is done, when the headlights are changed, new tires, ect.

The methods discribed in previous post should get the lights close. To get them right you need the correct tools.

No substitutes!

Getting the right aim, makes a HUGE differance in what you can see at night while not blinding on coming traffic.

Pimpin' in style

Quote Originally Posted by mjwhoopie
    The methods discribed in previous post should get the lights close. To get them right you need the correct tools.

No substitutes!

Getting the right aim, makes a HUGE differance in what you can see at night while not blinding on coming traffic.
    Not to discredit you or your methods but the method I described earlier is actually the only approved method by the DOT. It is the method outlined in the official brake and lamp manual.

Adjusting kits like you have are subject to wear, operator error, and a whole host manufacturing tolerance issues ranging from the headlamp locating pins to the kit adapter misalignment. The headlamp screen method is dummy proof, no calibrations, no equipment to learn, just stand back and measure with a tape. I guess you could not know how to use a tape but in that case there a whole other set of issues to be worried about anyways.
    Removing road reflectors in a neighborhood near you- Dennis

The punch line your forgetting is that the vehicle your setting up with that method requires that the vehicle be set PERFECTLY SQUARE to the screen, wall, door, ect, on A PERFECTLY LEVEL SURFACE. Then by all means this can work well.

I've seen both methods used for years. I have never worked in a shop or lived in a house that had a PERFECT surface to do the screen method accurately. When California Hiway Patrol was doing the road side vehilce safety checks, They used --- the Hoppy Aimers. The tickets that were wrote all held up in court.

The certified repair staions were required to also have this same equipment.

My money is on the aimers.

But, That's why there are different ways of doing things. WE'RE ALL DIFFERENT!

Great article with lots of tech data on this subject.

http://www.tfhrc.gov/safety/pubs/04132/index.htm

With the information in these reports, I would find it quite difficult to get the tolerances that are called for with a measuring tape ( 1.5 deg down, 2 deg right, from optical center, @ 35ft)
    Last edited by mjwhoopie; 02-06-2007 at 04:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gmsuv View Post
    To adjust your lights
    On a level place pull your truck up to a garage door with your lights on.
    Take a roll of masking tape and tape cross hairs (+) where the lights shine on the garage.
    Now back up 25 feet and look to see where the lights shine in reference to the cross hairs (+).
    Adjust both screws to get the lights back into the cross hairs (+) that you marked when your truck was close to the garage door.
    Worked like a charm :)
    I lowered my '09 Silverado when I bought it new, and I get hit with high beams all the time by oncoming traffic. So I figured it was time to adjust them before someone becomes blinded and gets hurt.
    I have the little star, or tork screw right on top of the headlight assembly, right in the middle of the "L-shaped" pin that holds the assembly in.
    I had to go buy the proper tool, but I followed the instructions you posted...aiming them at the garage door, back up a few feet and turning the tork screw clockwise to lower the beam, until the beam lined up with a mark I had put on the garage door.
    Had my wife go down the road a bit and check out my beams and they are right, safe, and lower!

Thanks FSC, and for all of you who took the time to reply to the original post!