***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Reset check engine light?

This is a discussion on Reset check engine light? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hoping somebody can help ou the newbie. My 2003 tahoe's check engine light came on the other day, so I ...

Reset check engine light?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Hoping somebody can help ou the newbie. My 2003 tahoe's check engine light came on the other day, so I took it into the dealer. Turns out the Mass Air Flow Sensor was bad, and was causing the computer to throw several codes. I could not justify spending the money on a factory replacement, so I purchased a Granatelli MAF. I disconnected the battery, and installed the new MAF today, but the check engine light is still on. I thought disconnecting the battery would reset the computer, but apparantly not. How do I reset the check engine light on my 2003 4.8L Tahoe?

Thanks!

Re: Reset check engine light?

I would get someone to clear it with a scanner
    2004 2500 ChevyCrew Cab 4x4 6.0L
    torsion crank and 2' block

I think AutoZone or Pepboys or one of those outfits will scan it and clear it for you.

Just curious, how much did the stealership charge you to tell you what was wrong? Do you still have a warranty? The only time I visit a stealership is for the CASE learn and parts I can't buy aftermarket. Otherwise it's just too much for too little.
    '99 5.3 1/2Ton Silvy Z71 LT NBS
    4.10 Richies, Auburn LSDiff, Spicer U-joints, BFG A/T's, Summit Sway Control, Energy Suspension Front End, Optima Redtop, FLT Stage3 Trans, Predator tuned, Corsa kitty-back...

Quote Originally Posted by OCTO13ER
    Otherwise it's just too much for too little.
    Isn't that the truth! I got gouged $95 for the diagnostic scan. Next time I'll swing by Auto Zone to see if they can help out with the scan. I had no idea that was somthing they could do.

Turns out I just needed to leave the battery disconnected for a longer period of time to re-set the codes. Light is now off, and running like a champ.