If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

power steering pump problem on 99 gmc Z71.. need help

This is a discussion on power steering pump problem on 99 gmc Z71.. need help within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I was out on the beach today having a little fun with the Z. I hit a few ruts pretty ...

gmc owns you

power steering pump problem on 99 gmc Z71.. need help

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I was out on the beach today having a little fun with the Z. I hit a few ruts pretty hard and all of a sudden I lost my power steering. I checked the power steering fluid and all the hoses, and everything seems to be ok. I dont hear any squeals or otherwise different sounds from underneath the hood. The truck only has 40k miles on it. Could it be a power steering pump that is needed or possibly somthing else? If so, where should i get one and how difficult is it to install? Thanks in advance..

2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Z71
    RETIRED 1999 GMC Sierra 1500 RETIRED

Maybe you bent something?

Did you look at your steering linkage underneath to make sure?
    ___

gmc owns you
    As best as i could see there was nothing bent. I am going to take it to an autoparts store tommorow and have some one check it out. It doest feel as if somthing is bent or damaged, it just feels as if i am not getting any assistance from the power steering.

I too went playing around in some mud a while back and lost power steering. What the service people said is that there was some shaft that broke. They fixed it and has been fine ever since.
    My Cardomain link.. click on sig

Handicapped Accessible 2000 Silverado Z71 w/ Rancho lift, 33s Toyo M/Ts, 20x12 AF Rebels, & Bilstein 5160 Resi's

gmc owns you
    Originally posted by Rob4x4
    I too went playing around in some mud a while back and lost power steering. What the service people said is that there was some shaft that broke. They fixed it and has been fine ever since.
    Could you dig up a receipt and find out exactly what it was? Also, do you remember what it cost you? I have a feeling that its not the pump, because its not making any noise and its full of fluid..

Well all my receipt says repair for concern power steering inop check veh. p/s shaft broken r&r p/s pump bleed and cleaned. It didn't cost me anything since I'm still under warrenty and it didn't list the price of what it actually did cost. It just has a n/c for no charge. Mine didn't make any noise either and was full of fluid it was just really hard to turn.
    My Cardomain link.. click on sig

Handicapped Accessible 2000 Silverado Z71 w/ Rancho lift, 33s Toyo M/Ts, 20x12 AF Rebels, & Bilstein 5160 Resi's

gmc owns you
    Well since the GMC dealer was open today, i took my truck up there for a diagnosis. They told me that it was a common problem for 99+ gm trucks. Especially those that are taken off-road. A new pump would cost $350 and a rebuilt AC Delco pump is $75. I ordered the $75 pump, and bought a Haynes manual. Ill install it on wed. when it gets here. Thanks for the advice..

funny this came up. my brother in laws ps pump went out on fri in his 99 burb. you could almost pull the shaft right out of the pump. its easy to replace, went back with a factory one and good thing too, the dealer said they made 9 different pumps on those models! anywho best of luck to you.

gmc owns you

Re: power steering pump problem on 99 gmc Z71.. need help

lets go ahead an revisit this one ...

since the first incident back in 2002 that caused my power steering to fail, i have had the pump replaced 3 times. first one wined really bad so i had it replaced again. second one was hard to turn, had it replaced. finally on the 3rd one i gave up. the steering was improved but still not like it was when i first bought the truck. the steering has been stiff ever since the first replacement and takes about twice the energy to turn than most other FSC trucks ive driven, although moves way better than w/o power steering at all.

now 4 years later (and only 40k miles), the power steering is getting bad again. difficult to turn and now i am hearing a groan noise coming from under the hood between 20mph and 45mph (cant hear it past that from other noises, but its likely still there). the noise is still there when coasting in neutral.

i looked at the steering fluid when the car was on and didnt see any movement in there. what could possibly be wrong with this pump? considering it has been replaced a few times, what else could be causing the steering to be real tight and also groan? what is odd is i didnt get the groan until recently when i had an alignment done. is it possible the extra pressure on the system caused it to start groaning?
    Last edited by kjk330; 06-06-2006 at 10:30 PM.