GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

GVWR vs GAWR

This is a discussion on GVWR vs GAWR within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I am trying to figure out how much weight I can carry in the back of my truck. I have ...

GVWR vs GAWR

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I am trying to figure out how much weight I can carry in the back of my truck. I have a 1500HD and according to the door, the GVWR is around 8500lbs. Then the front GAWR is about 4500lbs and the rear is 6000lbs. I was wondering how the axle weights could be more than what the truck could carry? Also, just wondering what kind of weight people have put into the back of their truck? I am redoing my kitchen and had about 1,000lbs of cement board and about 600lbs of cement. I debated putting in another 1,000lbs of tile but decided against it. It would have been about a 30 minute drive from Home Depot to my house.
    2007 Chevy Classic ext cab; Stock

Get in sit down hang on. SolMan98's Avatar

Re: GVWR vs GAWR

It means your truck is "under rated". What causes that? Any or all of several reasons: (1) Performance considerations, (2) Braking considerations, brake sizes and stopping distances, or (3) Frame size/strength. Ordinarily a truck frame is designed for the heavist axle system available. It would be more probably to find performance or braking requirements to be the governing factors of gross weight ratings.

D/D-2006 HHR 1LT 5-Speed.
    1996 Silverado, 5.7, FIPKII, Elect Fans, S/S Headers, Duals, Wait4Me, 4/5 drop on 18" Weld Evo Velosity's. STOLEN ON 9/9/2006

Drivin the LTZ350

I don't know what maximum weight is, but I just had a slide in camper on my C1500 w/t long bed and it weighs around 1500 pounds at least. I think it weighs more. I've had the bed completely full of sand more than once. The suspension was on the stops. I reckon it was at least a ton of sand, maybe more. I carried the sand before I had the 5.7 in it. That 4.3 was stressing something fierce. I also towed a 10ft by 15ft shed home on a trailer once. The trailer weighed around 4,000 pounds (it was huge) and the shed, while not heavy, was causing some serious wind resistance. Top speed floored on level road was 40mph. That was also with the 4.3.

Those trucks can take a whole lot more than any 1,000 pounds. It's controlling them when they're that heavy that's the trick. I've noticed a tendency for it to roll and bounce a lot with weight in the bed. An inattentive driver could easily wreck. Maybe that's why they are rated so low? Kinda like speed limits. Sure, it's safe to go 80 on an interstate, it's just that the people driving the cars are idiots and they can't handle it. Sure the truck can handle it, but those same idiots will also be driving the trucks and they can't. It's a theory at least

Quote Originally Posted by OokieWonderslug
    I don't know what maximum weight is, but I just had a slide in camper on my C1500 w/t long bed and it weighs around 1500 pounds at least. I think it weighs more. I've had the bed completely full of sand more than once. The suspension was on the stops. I reckon it was at least a ton of sand, maybe more. I
    a level bed full of sand is about 3 yds +/-.. a yard of sand weighs about a ton.. you had 6000lbs+ in the bed.
    02 K1500 Z71 Avalanche bone stock
    88 K2500 350 TBI, 10" Edelbrock OE, Ultimate TBI, Summit 1102 cam, MSD 8.5mm wires, built 700-r4, BFG AT/ko's, 3.73's, Flowtech Afterburner Headers, Magnaflow 3" cat, Flowmaster Super 40.

To be ordered: Holley 300-66 intake

Drivin the LTZ350

Quote Originally Posted by bretsk2500
    a level bed full of sand is about 3 yds +/-.. a yard of sand weighs about a ton.. you had 6000lbs+ in the bed.

I had no idea it was that much. I guess that explains why the tires were looking like they were about flat.