If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

How long can i ride on a bad outer tierod?

This is a discussion on How long can i ride on a bad outer tierod? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I know im not susposed to the only thing is to get the moog heavy duty ones im going to ...

How long can i ride on a bad outer tierod?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I know im not susposed to the only thing is to get the moog heavy duty ones im going to have to wait cause kregen/napa auto parts both have them on back order till around the 12th. Right now im barrowing a tahoe from someone but they will want it back sometimes on/off thru the 12th. I have work and school would it be ok just to drive on it on days i dont have another car?

if possible i rather wait till i get the good ones,and btw i just notice today that it was shot. So i got no idea how much ive been on it already.
    Chevy 2001 z71 1500 5.3, 4.56, Flowmaster, K&N Generation II Air Intake Kit and a Tune by JESSEBUBB
    6inch Procomp /3inch PA bodylift / Micky Tompson 16x10 / 37x13x16 Boggers

s10er8

Re: How long can i ride on a bad outer tierod?

nope don't even risk it, get the cheap one if you have to drive it

Is it just overly worn? Bent? What's the damage to it? If it's worn so bad the end could pop out, don't drive it. But if it's just a little worn out or a tad bent, you will just do a little extra wear on your front tires.

1997 Sierra 2500HD 4x4, 454, ECSB
    1998 Silverado K1500 Z71, 350, ECSB
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT Sport

Its pretty worn out, like to the max. the next step would it jsut breaking off. But i found out that i'll have a car to drive till they come. So i'll justwait for the moog ones to come in. besides get to drive a 99 tahoe or 01 2wd silverado so its not really a big draw back.

Thanks for the input, im glad i asked here before i just started driving it again, makes me wonder how long ive been driving with it this bad. I always knew my aligment was off but didnt know i wore out a outer tie rod.
    Chevy 2001 z71 1500 5.3, 4.56, Flowmaster, K&N Generation II Air Intake Kit and a Tune by JESSEBUBB

Homesick NBer
    Edmonton, AB (but still an easterner at heart)

yeah definatly don't do it, hace been in a half ton that the tie rod broke, you loose control pretty quick.
    2003 Chev Silverado 4x4 4.10 gears and it has a 4.8L
    1997 GMC Sierra 4x4 4.3L 4L60E KOSS CD player,16mpg,3.73 gears z71 skid plates <<<sold

4th year apprentice at Chev Dealer

Needs project money chevyz71man's Avatar

I drove on a bad tie rod end, and the thing came apart. Don do it if you dont have to. Luckily mine fell apart in my g/fs driveway and the new one was in the passenger seat waiting to go in.
    1994 ECSB SAS 7" lift, satin black h2 wheels, 36" IROKS, 98 Interior
    Built 383 and Built 4l60E
    2007 Yamaha midnight warrior

Homesick NBer
    Edmonton, AB (but still an easterner at heart)

it ain't fun when your cruisn' at around 100 kph and she comes apart, that tire whips right out like it wants to turn the truck, scary, buddy and i had to use one of those bungy cord tie downs and lots of electrical tape, we limped the truck home, but it took a couple hours.
    2003 Chev Silverado 4x4 4.10 gears and it has a 4.8L
    1997 GMC Sierra 4x4 4.3L 4L60E KOSS CD player,16mpg,3.73 gears z71 skid plates <<<sold

4th year apprentice at Chev Dealer

Thanks for all the input, i have another car to get to school in and work. Also go moogtire rods both inner/outter on each side being shiped today. Witch is ok cause i dont really have the time to fix it till like sunday or monday due to school and work.

Until it snaps and you crash. Replace it asap. Like was mentioned in the above post, it is scary when they do come undone. I had one on a 1 ton delivery truck snap while turning at about 10 MPH. You could feel the truck dragging the tire, not to mention when I hit the breaks the truck shook so bad I had to let off and use the E break to stop the truck.
    03 Z71 LS Silverado Green
    5300 V8 , G80, Heavy Duty Towing Package
    Kenwood Sirius with Soundgate Adapter
    Bose w/ 6 disk (sounds good but not as good as the wave radio in the house)
    Chrome Nerf Bars
    Magnaflow Single In / Single Out
    Spray in Bedliner

Damn, am so glad i asked here for advice before i kept driving it! thanks alot guys you probably just saved me from ending up in a crash. Cause i was seriouly thinking of just keep going on it, but thought i better ask here frist. And i still havnt goten them yet and its been like a week or a little more. Just think i would of drivin on it daily..i dont even wanna think about wat could of happend.

Thanks alot

s10er8

that's scary