If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

U-Joint Replacement Cost

This is a discussion on U-Joint Replacement Cost within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; My truck is a 99' Z71 Silverado, Extended Cab, 4x4, 5.3L V8. Here is my problem. I am fairly sure ...

U-Joint Replacement Cost

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    My truck is a 99' Z71 Silverado, Extended Cab, 4x4, 5.3L V8.

Here is my problem. I am fairly sure that the problem is the U-Joints. I get a noisy clunking noise from 20-40 miles... and the noise usually only happens when accelerating. It drives me crazy and I need to fix the problem soon. Any other ideas if it isn't the U-Joints?

I recently moved from New Mexico to Portland, OR and didn't bring any of my tools with me. I'm going to have to get it worked on at a shop. Does anybody have a ballpark idea of what it is going to cost to get the U-Joints replaced?

Re: U-Joint Replacement Cost

well it is actually fairly simple. the only thing i am not sure about is on the nbs is if it has the same thing mine had. which is a plastic seal that is has to be heated out with a torch. then all you need is a hammer. to beat the end caps in. if it is the same as mine which i am pretty sure it is and the clips go on the inside but they only cost like 12 bucks a piece or so i think but nothing to it really.

I'm contemplating installing them myself but i'm not sure if I should. I dont think it could be too hard.

I didn't make myself clear about what I was talking about in the last post. Does anybody know the cost of what a dealer or mechanic is going to charge? That may be the decieding factor if I deciede to do it myself or not.

Thanks again.

I use a vise and two sockets,like what was said,you`ll have to melt the plastic,I`d change all four,wile I was at it,you would have $50 in parts and the labor cost would depend on who does it,around here(Indiana) the dealership gets $40 an hour

Quote Originally Posted by DoorNail
    I use a vise and two sockets,like what was said,you`ll have to melt the plastic,I`d change all four,wile I was at it,you would have $50 in parts and the labor cost would depend on who does it,around here(Indiana) the dealership gets $40 an hour
    its gonna cost you. heck i bought mine from the dealership and they were 100 bucks a piece, thank god i installed them myself.

took mine in had all 4 changed charged me $250.

Find a driveshaft shop. They're usually specialty shops that do hardly anything but driveshaft work. If you have an extra vehicle it's really simple to pull the shaft yourself (all that's really needed is an adjustable crescent, 4 bolts) and take it (the whole shaft) to them. I highly recomend the Spicer joints without the grease fitting (solid). They'll change them for you on the spot and since you buy the joints from them labor to change them is minimal (maybe $10 a joint). If you need new straps and bolts make sure you compare the old with the new. Sometimes the new bolts are longer, which is fine because the holes in the pinion yoke are tapped all the way through, but the OEM bolts don't go all the way to the back and you'll have a lot of rust and garbage in them. DO NOT try to force the strap bolt. Trust me, it sucks when they break. It should be relatively easy to screw in. If you're having difficulty screwing it in you'll need to re-tap the hole to clean the garbage out. Of course if you're using the old screws you shouldn't have this problem. I also recomend using serviceable Lok-Tite when you replace the strap bolts. It'll cost you minimum $300 to replace you driveshaft if one of those bolts comes loose.

Otherwise, you could try driving it to the driveshaft shop and seeing if they can give you a hand pulling the shaft and replacing it. If you go to a regular mechanic he's going to charge you mark-up on the joints and probably a minimum of 1 hour labor ($60-$80) which it's such an easy job I hardly find it worth it.
    '99 5.3 1/2Ton Silvy Z71 LT NBS
    4.10 Richies, Auburn LSDiff, Spicer U-joints, BFG A/T's, Summit Sway Control, Energy Suspension Front End, Optima Redtop, FLT Stage3 Trans, Predator tuned, Corsa kitty-back...

Quote Originally Posted by 6''98z71
    well it is actually fairly simple. the only thing i am not sure about is on the nbs is if it has the same thing mine had. which is a plastic seal that is has to be heated out with a torch. then all you need is a hammer. to beat the end caps in. if it is the same as mine which i am pretty sure it is and the clips go on the inside but they only cost like 12 bucks a piece or so i think but nothing to it really.
    My OEM's didn't have plastic caps, just clips and straps.
    4.10 Richies, Auburn LSDiff, Spicer U-joints, BFG A/T's, Summit Sway Control, Energy Suspension Front End, Optima Redtop, FLT Stage3 Trans, Predator tuned, Corsa kitty-back...

Quote Originally Posted by DoorNail
    If you decide to pull your front driveshaft make sure you pick-up a "cv joint boot clamp" and the tensioner tool. They're cheap, it'll run you $20 tops.

Hello, I paid 300 and change to have my u-joints replaced. People had told me it would be closer to 250 but go figure.