If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Fuel pressure regulator SPRING

This is a discussion on Fuel pressure regulator SPRING within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I got a question that would help alot of people out. My regulator spring on my 1992 Blazer with a ...

Fuel pressure regulator SPRING

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I got a question that would help alot of people out. My regulator spring on my 1992 Blazer with a 220 TBI rusted out and broke into 3 pieces and I have called everyone(parts stores and dealers) to try and find a replacement with no avail. The only way to get this spring is to buy the whole regulator assembly for ~$45 or buy aftermarket adjustable units for ^$60.
    Does anyone have information or get me information please on the dimensions of the spring. If I could get a length and diameter and wire size and possibly spring rate that would be awesome and help others replace that spring. I can't understand why they would put a regular steel spring in there, I will replace it with a stainless steel one that will not rust away and not possibly clog my injectors.
    Last edited by redhotrod; 02-23-2006 at 07:48 AM.
    '88 Silverado, dropped and shaved~sold
    '92 Fullsize Blazer, ~sold
    '84 Buick Grand National
    '67 Chevy Impala SS, big block, 12 second car Sold!
    '98 Cadillac STS
    '97 Chevy K1500 ecsb

Re: Fuel pressure regulator SPRING

A stock fuel pressure regulator is calibrated during design and manufacture. They are suppose to be replaced as a unit. They are not designed to be rebuilt by a mechanic. Something like that, that involves fuel under pressure in that environment needs to meet DOT and manufacturer's standards and shouldn't be messed with by a mechanic (trained or not). To allow that would pose a liability for the manufacturer (GM) and the owner.

i fabricated my regulator to be adjustable but my spring is broke so it is doing me no good unless I have a spring like the original, I just asked for dimensions not a lecture on enviormental needs, if I cared about that I would ride a bicycle! I am sure someone on this board is using an adjustable fuel regulator and I'm not the only one with a broken spring
    '84 Buick Grand National
    '98 Cadillac STS
    '97 Chevy K1500 ecsb

Borg Warner offers a TB rebuilt kit that has the spring. I can get the part number if you need it.

That would be great, I bought a kit from autozone, but none of their tb kits included that spring. Does Napa supply borg warner?
    '84 Buick Grand National
    '98 Cadillac STS
    '97 Chevy K1500 ecsb

Just a thought, how does the rest of the regulator look? If its in as good of shape as the spring was you might consider replacing the whole thing...
    Rest in Peace Jason Payne

rest of the unit looks great, cleaned it up with a wire wheel, looks just as good as new. I already have the new diaphram from the tb rebuild kit, just missing that darn spring
    '84 Buick Grand National
    '98 Cadillac STS
    '97 Chevy K1500 ecsb

Ah. Have you tried a junkyard? The spring on my dad's 300,000 mi suburban wasn't rusty at all when i rebuilt it, I don't know why yours has rusted...

I'd sell you my spring, but I'm using it.
    Rest in Peace Jason Payne

Junkyard wanted to be my last option, I hate the fact that the spring might be worn out if possible. And possibly coming across more broken springs. I would have to bet why my spring rusted is from the crappy winters and salt they spread on the roads here gets everywhere, remember, the spring is not submerged in gasoline
    '84 Buick Grand National
    '98 Cadillac STS
    '97 Chevy K1500 ecsb

lkr

I had the same problem about a month ago but found no reasonable source for a spring. I installed the tbi kit and had to buy the regulator. Considering all the trouble I had finding this problem, the money spent for the regulator was well worth it. My truck runs perfect now. Short of buying new a salvage unit would be your best bet.

I tried going to all the auto parts stores and even the dealer and no matter how you tried to get the spring, the only way was to buy the whole regulator from the dealer for ^$100 or buy an entire throttle body. Anyones best bet would be to buy an aftermarket adjustable one. I ended up going to 3 junkyards, no one wanted to part out a good throttle body, but luckily their was an S10 blazer that had the 4.3L throttle body ripped into and someone left the top part of the throttle body with the regulator just laying on top of the engine. So, sweet I got my part for $5, and I can modify another regulator housing to be adjustable.
    Heres the dimensions on the spring if anyone would ever need them~
    2 1/2" long, 15/16" OD wide with a wire size of around 1/16" (.062") I forgot to count how many coils, but they were closed ends on both sides.
    '84 Buick Grand National
    '98 Cadillac STS
    '97 Chevy K1500 ecsb

This is proably a year too late but I found this:
    http://www.top-downsolutions.com/Doc...structions.pdf

TEE

Why not a Jet AFPR...that's what I'm using and runnin' 14 1/2 PSI