***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

flickering lights

This is a discussion on flickering lights within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Alright guys, I've had my tahoe for about a month now. I've noticed when I'm driving at night the headlights ...

flickering lights

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Alright guys, I've had my tahoe for about a month now. I've noticed when I'm driving at night the headlights and interior lights will flicker. It's really annoying! It's an 03. Anyone else with my problem?

Project- 1976 C-10 472 Cadillac Big Block
    -Chad

There is no "t" in Dexron wilbilt's Avatar

Re: flickering lights

It could be an intermittent short. The headlights are on a circuit breaker instead of a fuse, and will flicker on and off as the breaker resets.

It could also be a loose connection on the power feed side of the headlight switch. Does it happen more when going over bumps, etc.?

i have the same prob now. it started happening after i installed my stereo system. i accidentally pinched a wire going to my tweet and i fixed that prob. but every now and again it'll do it again. it's not the same short. it may be something behind my head unit. they don't leave much room for even a single din for all the wires back there. may have pinched something back there, as well. mine is an '01 silverado. but mine even happens with the system off. i know it's not the constant power feed to the hu. i almost question the alternator/regulator.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbilt
    It could be an intermittent short. The headlights are on a circuit breaker instead of a fuse, and will flicker on and off as the breaker resets.

It could also be a loose connection on the power feed side of the headlight switch. Does it happen more when going over bumps, etc.?
    It doesn't seem to only do it over bumps. And I'm pretty sure its my whole electrical system but only noticeable through the headlights and interior lights. The lights don't black right out but have a slight flicker to them. It's not showing up on the volt gauge.

-Chad

Document ID# 1750221
    2003 Chevrolet Tahoe - 2WD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IPC, Interior Lights and/or Headlamps Flicker - keywords battery courtesy electrical fluctuation generator head intermittent lamp light #PIT3170E - (Jan 11, 2006)
    IPC, Interior Lights and/or Headlamps Flicker
    1999-2005 All Cadillac Full Size Utilities

1999-2005 All Chevrolet Full Size Trucks and Utilities

1999-2004 Chevrolet Blazer, S-10

1999-2005 All GMC Full Size Trucks and Utilities

1999-2004 GMC Envoy Classic, Jimmy, Sonoma

1999-2001 Oldsmobile Bravada

Without Regulated Voltage Control

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
    Customers may have comments of a flickering light condition in the IPC, interior lamps or headlights. This condition is most likely to be noticed when the engine RPM is low and when high electrical load requirements are in place on the generator.

Recommendation/Instructions:
    Important: Review bulletin 02-06-03-008A - Low Voltage Display on IP Gauge, Lights Dim at Stop Lights, Battery Discharged, before proceeding with this PI.

Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery/batteries.
    Slide the protective boot on the generator BAT terminal aside and remove the retainer and wire cable from the BAT terminal.
    Unplug the generator 4-cavity terminal from the top of the generator.
    Inspect cavity D on the generator connector for a red cavity plug. If a red cavity plug is present, it is not necessary to replace the generator connector. Remove the CPA and save. Remove the red cavity plug and continue with step 9. If a red cavity plug is NOT present, continue with the next step.
    Remove and save the orange Weatherpack seal and CPA from the 4-way connector.
    Using the proper terminal removal tool, remove the two or three wires from the 4-way connector. On vehicles without Supplemental Brake Assist (SBA), install a red cavity plug, P/N 12059168, into cavity "A" of the new 4-way connector, P/N 12186568. On some 2003 and 2004 model year vehicles with SBA, install the dark blue (Circuit 5668) wire of the vehicle wiring harness into cavity "A" of the new 4-way connector.
    Depending on the vehicles model and year, install the brown wire (Circuit 25) or red wire (Circuit 225) of the vehicles wiring harness into cavity "B" of the new 4-way connector.
    Install the gray (Circuit 23) wire of the vehicle wiring harness into cavity "C" of the new 4-way connector.
    Obtain a piece of 0.80 mm/18GA black wire, 254 mm (8 in) long.
    Install a red terminal seal, P/N 12048086, and terminal, P/N 12048074, (crimp and solder) on one end of the new black wire.
    Install the new black wire into cavity "D" of the new 4-way connector.
    Reinstall the connector seal and CPA, from the original connector, to the new connector.
    Plug the 4-way connector into the generator.
    Route the black wire to the generator BAT terminal, sliding the wire into the small end to the output terminal boot, along side the generator output wire.
    Obtain a ring terminal from the terminal kit (J-38125-D) that is the same diameter as the positive post of the generator. Crimp and solder the ring terminal from the terminal kit (J-38125-D) on to the open end of the new black wire.
    Place the generator output wire and the new black wire onto the generator BAT terminal and install the retainer.
    Connect the negative battery cable.
    Note: This modification will not work if the vehicle is utilizing the new "Regulated Voltage Control" system. This is new feature on some full-size trucks and utilities for the 2005 model year. Please inspect the vehicle prior to performing this modification.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
    WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Document ID# 1750221
    2003 Chevrolet Tahoe - 2WD

Wow. Is anything a easy fix these days?
    thanks for the reply.

-Chad

Heltzel

I did this to my 2003 tahoe. Problem fixed. No more light flicker. But, have new problem. This new wire on the alt post is draining my battery. Now what?

Lost before Dawn CustomChevyGuy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by heltzej View Post
    I did this to my 2003 tahoe. Problem fixed. No more light flicker. But, have new problem. This new wire on the alt post is draining my battery. Now what?
    i'm sure it would be a PITA but you could wire up an inline switch..
    Quote Originally Posted by bhookxen
    sometimes bad-assery takes time

71 Chevelle 454
    03 rcsb, 06 clip/tails, HD hood, 22's, Esky handles, Alpine head unit, 5% tint, clear corners, 8K HID's, FM50, 2" rear drop, debadged, BlackBear Tuned!

any other possible casues to this problem?
    A sick 87' chevy 1/2 4x4, 350, 4- speed with 31" bfg mud-terrains and thrush glasspacks
    98' S10 ZR-2 with 270,000 miles and still running strong
    2003 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 5-Speed RCLB, Flowmaster Super 40, K&N Intake,RC Leveling Kit, RDX Billet Grille,

Regulator going bad in the alt.
    2014 Carlisle All Truck Nats info..
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/o...g-1st-3rd.html