If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

96 Chevy K1500 Quit and Won't Start

This is a discussion on 96 Chevy K1500 Quit and Won't Start within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; 96 chevy k1500 vortec 350 quit but wont start. Fuel pump is running, and is getting spark when turning it ...

Exclamation 96 Chevy K1500 Quit and Won't Start

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    96 chevy k1500 vortec 350 quit but wont start. Fuel pump is running, and is getting spark when turning it over. I have checked to make sure their is voltage to the injectors with the key on and their is twelve volts to each set of wires. have installed new fuel filter and new ignition control unit with no avail. I also have recently changed plugs, wires, distributor, cap, and come to find out it was the engine to chasis ground. It ran fine for eight months and last night i was driving down the road no spit or sputter it just quit. I towed it home and put the filter and icu on it. It is getting gas up to the injectors cause i took the lines off and gas pours out while turning it over. Spark is not a problem believe me cause i felt it going through my body. Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you cause im at wits end.

Re: 96 Chevy K1500 Quit and Won't Start

Quote Originally Posted by trayrick69
    96 chevy k1500 vortec 350 quit but wont start. Fuel pump is running, and is getting spark when turning it over. I have checked to make sure their is voltage to the injectors with the key on and their is twelve volts to each set of wires. have installed new fuel filter and new ignition control unit with no avail. I also have recently changed plugs, wires, distributor, cap, and come to find out it was the engine to chasis ground. It ran fine for eight months and last night i was driving down the road no spit or sputter it just quit. I towed it home and put the filter and icu on it. It is getting gas up to the injectors cause i took the lines off and gas pours out while turning it over. Spark is not a problem believe me cause i felt it going through my body. Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you cause im at wits end.
    I dunno, but it sounds like you awnsered your own question here.........

ok it may sound like i answered my own problem but after finding the bad ground wire and changing all them parts it ran great for eight months before it just quit again. I am trying the fuel pressure test today, and will get back to this to let you all know. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Check the fuel pressure, it should be between 55-65 psi. It could be the fuel pressure regulator.

peace
    Pauly
    97 GMC 2wd RCSB 5.7, s10 2700 footstall, Hooker 24621hkr LT's , 2.5" cats dual 4"pipes exit B4 pass. side tire, custom driveshaft 3.42 G80 FIPK MAF descreen GM/Mercruiser Marine intake manifold 29lb LS2(EV6) injectors Ed Wright PCM(best mod), LT4 KM 14.8@94mph 2.007 4000lbs 122mph

Lightbulb Re: 96 Chevy K1500 Quit and Won't Start

Only have 18 psi. On my way for a new fuel pump...... Let ya know latter.

Only have 18 psi. On my way for a new fuel pump...... Let ya know latter.

Only 18 psi. On my way for a new fuel pump. let you know later.

Homesick NBer
    Edmonton, AB (but still an easterner at heart)

pump might do it, but i herd pauly say maybe a fuel pressure regulator. to me18 psi pressure, better get the pressure regulator too.
    2003 Chev Silverado 4x4 4.10 gears and it has a 4.8L
    1997 GMC Sierra 4x4 4.3L 4L60E KOSS CD player,16mpg,3.73 gears z71 skid plates <<<sold

4th year apprentice at Chev Dealer

Sounds to me like a fuel pump internal regulator problem where the pump won't hold pressure but will pump gas under no pressure and still works. This happens often to this style of pump.

1997 Sierra 2500HD 4x4, 454, ECSB
    1998 Silverado K1500 Z71, 350, ECSB
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT Sport

If the fuel pressure regulator is screwed up, it may be lettuing fuel just return to the tank instead of restricting the flow and allowing pressure to build in the rail.

If it a fuel pressure regulator, it is located inside the upper plastic intake manifold. This would be the perfect time to install the updated GM MPFI Conversion Kit.
    Scroll to the bottom of this link, there is a picture of the kit.
    http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=981
    this kit includes a new fuel pressure regulator, 8 new updated TRUE fuel injectors(you can see them at the ends of thise 8 hoses).

The 4th picture from the bottom of this link sjows the original poppet style injectors above the new GM MPFI Conversion spider. You can clearly see the injectors at the ends of the hoses.
    http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...d.php?t=356743

Here is the parts list and prices
    Part: 93441235
    Category: Fuel Injector
    Description: INJECTOR
    Min.Qty: 1
    Unit Price: $188.34
    Quantity: 1
    Ext.Price: $188.34
    Core Charge: $0.00
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Part: 93442096
    Description: BRACKET
    Unit Price: $7.06
    Ext.Price: $7.06
    Part: 17113206
    Category: Manifold Gasket
    Description: SEAL KIT
    Unit Price: $19.60
    Ext.Price: $19.60
    ================================================== ================

SUB TOTAL: $215.00
    SHIPPING: $49.03
    TAX: $0.00
    TOTAL WITH TAXES: $264.03

These are a bunch of pics ofthe intake manifold.
    http://www.pacific-audio.com/perform...es/231640.html

GM realized how bad the stock "poppets" are and was forced to engineer an improvement. If you live in California, you can get this replaced for free as it is an emissions issue, the Cali gas gums up teh stockers from what I hear.

I would rule out a fuel pressure regulator first, its easier to pull that upper intake, off than it is to drop the tank or lift the bed to get at the pump assembly. In my opinion anyways.

peace
    Pauly
    97 GMC 2wd RCSB 5.7, s10 2700 footstall, Hooker 24621hkr LT's , 2.5" cats dual 4"pipes exit B4 pass. side tire, custom driveshaft 3.42 G80 FIPK MAF descreen GM/Mercruiser Marine intake manifold 29lb LS2(EV6) injectors Ed Wright PCM(best mod), LT4 KM 14.8@94mph 2.007 4000lbs 122mph

Cool Re: 96 Chevy K1500 Quit and Won't Start

Thank you all for your input... It was the fuel pump, I lifted the bed and the lines were rusted bad. I replaced the fuel pump and 2 foot of each line, Runs great now. Thank you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly
    If the fuel pressure regulator is screwed up, it may be lettuing fuel just return to the tank instead of restricting the flow and allowing pressure to build in the rail.

If it a fuel pressure regulator, it is located inside the upper plastic intake manifold. This would be the perfect time to install the updated GM MPFI Conversion Kit.
    Scroll to the bottom of this link, there is a picture of the kit.
    http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=981
    this kit includes a new fuel pressure regulator, 8 new updated TRUE fuel injectors(you can see them at the ends of thise 8 hoses).

The 4th picture from the bottom of this link sjows the original poppet style injectors above the new GM MPFI Conversion spider. You can clearly see the injectors at the ends of the hoses.
    http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...d.php?t=356743

Here is the parts list and prices
    Part: 93441235
    Description: INJECTOR
    Unit Price: $188.34
    Ext.Price: $188.34
    Part: 93442096
    Description: BRACKET
    Unit Price: $7.06
    Ext.Price: $7.06
    Part: 17113206
    Category: Manifold Gasket
    Description: SEAL KIT
    Unit Price: $19.60
    Ext.Price: $19.60
    ================================================== ================

SUB TOTAL: $215.00
    SHIPPING: $49.03
    TAX: $0.00
    TOTAL WITH TAXES: $264.03

These are a bunch of pics ofthe intake manifold.
    http://www.pacific-audio.com/perform...es/231640.html

GM realized how bad the stock "poppets" are and was forced to engineer an improvement. If you live in California, you can get this replaced for free as it is an emissions issue, the Cali gas gums up teh stockers from what I hear.

I would rule out a fuel pressure regulator first, its easier to pull that upper intake, off than it is to drop the tank or lift the bed to get at the pump assembly. In my opinion anyways.

peace
    Pauly
    I live in CAlif Is GM still doing these replacements? I got a bad regulator--would this be replaced by gm still?

I am not 100% sure, if I am not mistaken I think GM was forced to extend the injector warranty to 10 years the poppet injector problem is an emissions issue. Check with your local dealer.

I dont know if GM will do a fuel pressure regulator under this extended warranty or not.

peace
    Pauly

If you pinch off the return line and you have good pressure you need and regulator if the pressure dosn't rise your fuel pump is shot

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly

fuel pressure regulator

peace
    Pauly
    I noticed when I took off the upper intake,there was NO hose attached to the pressure regulator. Nor could I find ANY evidence of a hose under there.

I noticed in the pictures you site http://www.pacific-audio.com/perform...es/231640.html
    there are no hoses attached or seen on those presssure regulator.

Is there supposed to be a hose attached, or does the manifold vacuum provided the suction?