GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Gas gauge not working after fuel pump change

This is a discussion on Gas gauge not working after fuel pump change within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have a 94 chevy extended cab 2500. A few years ago I had to replace my fuel pump (in ...

Gas gauge not working after fuel pump change

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have a 94 chevy extended cab 2500. A few years ago I had to replace my fuel pump (in the tank under the bed). I found it easier to remove the bed instead of dropping the tank (but that's another story). Anyway, my gauge only drops to 3/4 full. Did the float get stuck on something? Is there a trick to putting the new pump in? I have gotten use to going by milage, but it is not very accurate when you haul or pull something.

Re: Gas gauge not working after fuel pump change

You either bent the flaot while installing th new pump.......or it's not the EXACT pump for your truck and the float is hanging up on the baffles maybe.
    2014 Carlisle All Truck Nats info..
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/o...g-1st-3rd.html

Geeze Louise, talk about a concidence I just replaced the pump on my truck a few weeks back on the same happend to me. The fuel guage was stuck at 3/4 of a tank.

Well, just today I redid the whole process and found the pipe, witch is connected to the floter , was a bent inward. (happens because the whole sending unit needs to clear the opening of the tank when getting pulled out) The floater was setting on top of the bridge that divides the tank into sections. Well, carefully I bent it inward and the guage went back to normal.

Hopefully, it wont act up again and like CK mentioned if it does I'll check it the floater isnt slightly hanging.

96'RCSSB 5.0L Cammed LS1 or 6.0 Coming Later
    03'RCSSB 5.3,3:73's,G80 SOLD!!

I did not realize that there was a divider in the tank. This make sense. I do dread taking the bed off (again) to fix it, but I guess I will.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sokkernut
    I did not realize that there was a divider in the tank. This make sense. I do dread taking the bed off (again) to fix it, but I guess I will.

Thanks!
    Dont worry, removing the bed is the easiet part! With a helping hand you can do it in no time!!!

96'RCSSB 5.0L Cammed LS1 or 6.0 Coming Later
    03'RCSSB 5.3,3:73's,G80 SOLD!!