***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

White Smoke coming out of throttle body....Help!!

This is a discussion on White Smoke coming out of throttle body....Help!! within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hi Ladies and gents.. I have a 1991 K1500 350 5 spd - has 217k miles on it. My truck ...

Buckshot

Question White Smoke coming out of throttle body....Help!!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Hi Ladies and gents..

I have a 1991 K1500 350 5 spd - has 217k miles on it.

My truck just today on the way home started sputtering around idle, I was very low on gas due to it being around $3 a gallon so I filled up thinking I was that low.

Well that wasnt it. Truck is still sputtering around idle and just really sounding like ****. I can smell a heavy fuel smell like it is runnin really rich....or almost flooding itself. I think it may not be running on all of the cylinders.

So tonight when I got home finally I take off the aircleaner assly, so I can see the fuel spray from the injectors, My left one looks a little bad but not bad enough that it should be making the truck run like this. I looked at em a couple weeks ago and they looked the same but the truck was running perfect.

Well I have the truck running, I then shut it off and after about 30 seconds a white smoke will intermittently come billowing out of the rh side of the throttle body (Passenger side) by the IAC Valve. The iac valve is new so I dont think it'd be shortin out or anything.

Im afraid my motor may be done? If im not mistaken white smoke usually means oil right?

What perplexes the hell out of me is the truck ran fine on the way to work this morning but then i get in it to drive home and it runs like crap. Only an 8 mile drive.

Ive got enough $$ for a rebuild so if thats the case I will go that route, its just that I didnt want to have to sneak the work vehicle home every day for a week or two.

What might this be?

Oh and heres a little history on the maintenance w/i last 2 yrs, most w/i last yr.....new fuel pump, new plugs, new plug wires, cap, rotor, spark module, coil, iac valve, fuel pump relay, pcv valve - new vacuum line from pcv 2 throttle body, new egr valve.

Your help is greatly appreciated. Im just afraid this one will be costly. Ive already sunk $2k earlier in the year on brakes and clutch so am scared Im gonna get too much $$ in it and get in a wreck or something and loose out.
    1991 K-1500 5spd, 350 Red, Reg Cab Long Bed. Toff Bed liner on Rockers/Flares, Still contemplating Lift
    217K miles and still tickin

1996 WS6 TA #1877 50K, A4 All options accept 6way power seat

Re: White Smoke coming out of throttle body....Help!!

I was under the impression white smoke indicated water/coolant, blue smoke was fuel, and balck smoke was oil. Don't know that I should add more, because I am not sure what is going on exactly.
    1989 K1500 Sport 4x4 RCSB
    Swapped the 2nd 4.3L for a '93 burb 350
    And of course a 5-speed manny tranny
    "There'd be no truck drivers if it wasn't for us trucks, No double-clutchin', gear-jammin', coffee-drinkin' nuts"

blue is oil, white is lean or water, black is rich. sounds like you have an injector stuck open and its dumping your 3 dollar a gallon gas right into the cat.

Quote Originally Posted by 1991 K1500

...white smoke will intermittently come billowing out of the rh side of the throttle body (Passenger side) by the IAC Valve
    Easy on the engine being toasted...when you say "billowing", how much? Is it as much as someone exhaling from a cigarette? Is it as much as the steam coming off a boiling pot of water on the stove? Is it more like the smoke that trails off a match or candle when it's extinguished?

Buckshot

Quote Originally Posted by Pete-FWA
    When you say billowing how much?

Is it the smoke that trails off a match or candle when it's extinguished

Thats what its like

I know im overreacting, the truck is my only wheels right now. I have a problem w a performance shop I ordered some rotors from and my car is sitting w/o any brakes now till the end of the week.

I have true duals too, no cats so that cant be the prob.

I listened to it again w my neighbor helping on the gas and it definitely sounds like its running a cylinder or 2 down. Black smoke coming out the LH Exhaust pipe and thats the side that sounds a little rougher, so am going to replace those 4 plugs tonight and see if that remedies the problem.

I just find it odd that a plug could go all of a sudden.

Thanks for the replies
    1991 K-1500 5spd, 350 Red, Reg Cab Long Bed. Toff Bed liner on Rockers/Flares, Still contemplating Lift

Probably an injector acting up or the fuel pressure regulator diaphram is leaking fuel into the intake.

I had the smoke like that before, its the injectors flooding the motor when you shut it off, the cold gas on the hot motor cause it.

I had to have the throttle body rebuilt and new injectors to fix
    2002 Chevy Silverado Z71, 4.8 4X4 EXT Cab, 3.73 gears(GT4). With 2" lift, via rear leafs from a 2500, & cranked T Bars

Buckshot

Well I replaced all the spark plugs crossing my fingers itd be that one of them was way to fouled, but that wasnt it.

Still running like ass, hard to describe but the motor seems like its running smooth but the exhaust sounds like **** and it smells heavily of fuel.

It was dark now but I never did see any white, or blue smoke coming out of the exhaust.

When it was light b4 I replaced the spark plugs there was a little black smoke coming out of the LH side of the exhaust, and thats the side that sounds like c rap.

Can an injector just go that suddenly? I guess I answered my own question because it is an electrical item. When Its running you can hear it making a strange noise near the injector, cant tell if its from it pulsing or from the engine vacuum? My hearings not the best at picking out individual sounds, just sounds louder than normal.

When I held my hand over the LH exhaust it was blowing out a liquid, almost like Water but it smelled heavily of fuel...the RH Side was dry.

So I figure either a blown head gasket??? or my injectors / throttle body needs rebuilt? I was planning on doin that in the next couple weeks but looks like I'll be attempting that first in hopes that its not the latter. Hell maybe my distributor took a crap??

Thanks again.

Blown head gasket? Distributor cap? dont jump the gun

Like mentioned above it sounds like you have leaky injectors and you're running extra rich. The injector spray should be cone shape of mist with no dripping or direct squirting. Anything other than the cone shaped mist and it will throw the ecm off bad enough to make it run like crap.
    Last edited by cedjunior; 04-11-2006 at 08:52 PM.

1995 K1500, 350, NV4500, 9.5" rear axle
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT 6.0 - 361/385 Stock Cortex Tuned

Sounds like a stuck injector, try a heavy dose of injector cleaner (although I really really doubt it will do anything). Also check the wires going to the injectors... i've seen them chafe and short out before. Another one could be a ruptured fuel pressure regulator diaphragm. Your best bet at this point is to take it to a mechanic, seeing as how it's your daily driver.

John