***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Can I spray carb cleaner in the EGR Valve port on the intake?

This is a discussion on Can I spray carb cleaner in the EGR Valve port on the intake? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Without killing the engine? I mean, if I pull the EGR valve off (engine cold) and spray carb cleaner in ...

Can I spray carb cleaner in the EGR Valve port on the intake?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Without killing the engine?
    I mean, if I pull the EGR valve off (engine cold) and spray carb cleaner in there, then bolt the EGR valve back on and start it, will it blow the engine up, or will it be OK?
    -87 Corvette Z52 Coupe
    *K&N Filter,Yank Torque Converter,Custom Cat-Back
    -95 Tahoe 2-door 4x4
    *Posi-Lok/G80, 285's, Custom Cat-Back, 3.73's
    -96 S10 ECSB V6
    *ZQ8 Rims, 3" BellTech Drop, Dynomax Cat-Back

Homesick NBer
    Edmonton, AB (but still an easterner at heart)

Re: Can I spray carb cleaner in the EGR Valve port on the intake?

Quote Originally Posted by TIMSPEED
    Without killing the engine?
    I mean, if I pull the EGR valve off (engine cold) and spray carb cleaner in there, then bolt the EGR valve back on and start it, will it blow the engine up, or will it be OK?
    i'm not sure what it would do, when i clean mine, i spray wd40 inside it and on a rag, then push it inside with a screwdriver and work it around, when its clean i bolt it back on, never have had any problems.
    2003 Chev Silverado 4x4 4.10 gears and it has a 4.8L
    1997 GMC Sierra 4x4 4.3L 4L60E KOSS CD player,16mpg,3.73 gears z71 skid plates <<<sold

4th year apprentice at Chev Dealer

Quote Originally Posted by kenman1717
    i'm not sure what it would do, when i clean mine, i spray wd40 inside it and on a rag, then push it inside with a screwdriver and work it around, when its clean i bolt it back on, never have had any problems.
    You spray it in the LOWER port right? (The square port) the Round port on the top blows air out like a MOFO..so it's gotta be clogged on the lower port...thanks for the affirmation though.
    -87 Corvette Z52 Coupe
    -95 Tahoe 2-door 4x4
    -96 S10 ECSB V6

Homesick NBer

Quote Originally Posted by TIMSPEED
    You spray it in the LOWER port right? (The square port) the Round port on the top blows air out like a MOFO..so it's gotta be clogged on the lower port...thanks for the affirmation though.
    yes the lower port. i don't have a square port on mine cause i have an electric one, you have the vaccum operated one, but they both build carbon up the same.
    1997 GMC Sierra 4x4 4.3L 4L60E KOSS CD player,16mpg,3.73 gears z71 skid plates <<<sold

I put a new GM EGR on my truck last week because the universal one was a POS. I sprayed Seafoam Deep Creep in there, both ports, dug around with a screwdriver before that, and let it set while I fixed some other things. I wiped it out as best I could with a rag. I also took out my IAC and cleaned the port for that, as well as the pintle. When I started the truck back up later, it didn't want to start, took a few cranks to start it and ran rough for a second. I had also sprayed alot in the TBI so I don't know if it was actually due to that or the IAC.

The truck IS fine now though, so you shouldn't have any problems.
    Facebook

03 Tahoe Z71- '09 Z71 wheels, amber DRLs, 1.5" crank, more to come
    95 Impala SS- DGGM, a few mods
    74 Impala - 350/TH350/Edelbrock/Holley/duals/BFGs/Rallys.
    93 Blazer- 237K, blocks/crank/Bilsteins/Slomaster/14sf/u-bolt flip. SOLD

Homesick NBer

Quote Originally Posted by matt trakker
    I put a new GM EGR on my truck last week because the universal one was a POS. I sprayed Seafoam Deep Creep in there, both ports, dug around with a screwdriver before that, and let it set while I fixed some other things. I wiped it out as best I could with a rag. I also took out my IAC and cleaned the port for that, as well as the pintle. When I started the truck back up later, it didn't want to start, took a few cranks to start it and ran rough for a second. I had also sprayed alot in the TBI so I don't know if it was actually due to that or the IAC.

The truck IS fine now though, so you shouldn't have any problems.
    i've been told that can happen, that it may not want to start a few times, i was told to spray stuff in and let it sit overnight then try to start it, the mechanic also told me it may run rough for a few minutes to.

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have done it without knowing, but whatever, LOL. I did it until it filled up the ports, and then it just settled down eventually, I was doing other things to the truck for about 25 minutes anyway. After I installed the new EGR and other stuff, it took a few cranks, and ran at a low low idle and rought for maybe 25 seconds literally and that Seafoam smoke came out my tailpipes a little.

That Seafoam DEEP CREEP is really just Seafoam in an aerosol, it works nice.

My truck runs great now. Just AWESOME. I know I said that before about 5 times after I would fix things, but after changing my plugs again(i ran Seafoam thru my vacuum hose 2 times over the last 6 months, and didn't change my plugs, the truck was skipping, hahaha), it seriously runs beautiful.
    Also, if anyone needs to get a GM AC Delco EGR, check eBay! I got mine off of eBay, and wound up paying 44 bucks including the shipping. Sure beats what I'd have paid at a dealer. It was identical to my original EGR, even the casting numbers. Those parts store ones are terrible.
    I changed my EGR solenoid too since it was only 12 bucks.
    Last edited by matt trakker; 04-23-2006 at 06:47 PM.
    Facebook

I'm going to pull off my IAC and spray the passage for it too, because my idle seems a little rough.
    -87 Corvette Z52 Coupe
    -95 Tahoe 2-door 4x4
    -96 S10 ECSB V6

Assuming this is your 95 which is a TBI like mine, if your idle is actually "rough", that might be your cap, rotor, plugs or wires causing it. OR the EGR valve and solenoid. I just went through total insanity getting my truck to run smooth for the last 6 months, LOL I even put a new MSD coil in mine. The IAC usually the culprit for like a high or low idle I think.
    BUUUUT I would still take out the IAC, spray the port out for it and clean it with a rag over your little finger the best you can. Use the extension tube for the cleaner so it blasts the inside better. Then hold the IAC out in front of you, and blast the pintle and the spring off, but be gentle with wiping it. Then when you put it back in, take some oil off the dipstick and put it on that paper/felt gasket for it.
    And you have to go through a process with cycling the igniton key to reset the valve. I forget it exactly, it says it in the Haynes Manuals. Someone told me you have to drive at 40MPH for a little while afterward too, don't know what that does though...

Sorry for the OT heheh
    Last edited by matt trakker; 04-23-2006 at 10:32 PM.
    Facebook