If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

2000 - 2500 HD Transmission Problems

This is a discussion on 2000 - 2500 HD Transmission Problems within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have a 2000 Chevy 2500 4x4 with a 6.0L and a 4L80E Transmission I purchased the truck new. After ...

2000 - 2500 HD Transmission Problems

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have a 2000 Chevy 2500 4x4 with a 6.0L and a 4L80E Transmission I purchased the truck new. After the truck had around 20k miles it went to the shop for shifting hard every now and then from 1 to 2 but the shop could never get it to shift hard as I told them it did. It went back to the shop about 10 more times for the same thing and they could never figure it out. Finally I figured out that if I drive in 3rd instead of D it never starts to shift hard, the truck now has 98K Miles on it and needless to say 6MPG driving around in 3rd gear is a little expensive with gas prices today. I could have dealt with it except for the fact that when it used to shift hard while driving in D instead of 3rd before it would shoot trans fluid out of the vent hose. The problem I'm having now is that it's not shifting hard while driving in 3rd gear but it's starting to pour trans fluid out of the vent hose even in 3rd gear.

Can someone please help?!
    Thanks -Lee

P.S. it's already been in 3 trans shops as well nobody can get it to act up while its in the shop, even though the entire underside of the truck is soaked in tranny fluid everytime I take it

Re: 2000 - 2500 HD Transmission Problems

Oh the truck is also a 4x4 if that matters..

F**kin' Truckin' blackdragon4x4's Avatar

my brother has a '99 that has had the tranny go out three times. I think there is just something screwed up from the factory in the '99-02 trucks...If i was you I'd start saving $ for an aftermarket tranny. Or find a decent shop that can diagnose it properly.
    I am Chevy-deprived. my 1991 died with 304,722 on the clock. Next ride: 1995 or '03-'04 RCSB Z71.<br>
    I HATE HATE HATE HATE my current truck, '03 *cough* Toyota *gag* Tacoma 2wd POS.

Does your truck ever set any codes? Does it shift hard all of the time or at one time more than another?
    bolt54
    05 Silverado, Z71, ECSB, 5.3(B), 3.42, Vararam VR-6, Wester's 91/93 dual hot tune
    Rhino liner, Lorado Access Tonneau Cover, Corsa sport cat-back dual rear exit.
    I'd rather push my Chevy than drive a ford.

At the end of the day, only one thing matters: John 14:6

the truck has never given any codes ive had it checked a ton of times

oh yeah once its starts shifting hard if i drive in D it will shift hard in everygear all the time, but if I drive in 3 it will never start, either way in D or 3 it shoots tranny fluid out of the vent house...

Very strange, I wish I could work on this one. Is it possible that the cooler is plugged? That might account for the fluid coming out of the vent. When does it blow out, on first start up cold or after running hot? Has anyone done any work on this truck recently?
    bolt54
    05 Silverado, Z71, ECSB, 5.3(B), 3.42, Vararam VR-6, Wester's 91/93 dual hot tune

It only does it after its running and hot, but the trans always runs at about 160-180 I believe thats good, and no the transmission has never been opened on it. Only thing that has been not is I replaced the speed sensors about a year ago hoping that was the problem, but no :)

How about any other work?
    bolt54

Not really only work that has been done is by me and just the minor stuff like plug wires, replaced the fuel pump, etc..

I am trying to see if anything else caused your problem. How long has it been happening? I have built a lot of these transmissions and have never seen one do what you describe.
    bolt54

It has been happening since around 38k miles the truck now has over 90k on it..