If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

97 z71 power steering problem

This is a discussion on 97 z71 power steering problem within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hello everyone. I recently bought a 1997 chevy silverado z71 extended cab with 164k miles. there were several small issues ...

97 z71 power steering problem

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Hello everyone. I recently bought a 1997 chevy silverado z71 extended cab with 164k miles. there were several small issues with the truck that i have addressed such as the blower motor, wiper circuit board,and broken door handles. The power steering pump was growling and groaning and it was very hard to turn the steering wheel after the truck had been running for a short while. the steering would barely turn at all if the truck was stopped. if i put the truck in neutral and gave it gas it would turn but was still groaning and growling. after adding fluid due to a small leak the steering was still hard to turn.
    So, today i changed the power steering pump. well the noise is gone but after a while the steering still becomes hard to turn, unlessI run up the rpms a bit. I have flushed and blead the system still no help.

Has anyone experienced this same problem or have any suggestions.

I am new to the forum it looks like there is a wealth of knowledeg here. I am looking forward to using this site.

TIA dp6an

Question Re: 97 z71 power steering problem

same truck, same year, same problem here. replaced ps pump with same results. really sucks when backing my boat. anyone know what the deal is here.

Needs project money chevyz71man's Avatar

Re: 97 z71 power steering problem

Same problem here, but all my stuff is coming out for a hyrdro boost system and a 1 ton steering box... that should fix it. My guess is there are some seals leaking threw in the box.
    Last edited by chevyz71man; 05-21-2006 at 08:19 PM.
    1994 ECSB SAS 7" lift, satin black h2 wheels, 36" IROKS, 98 Interior
    Built 383 and Built 4l60E
    2007 Yamaha midnight warrior

I have the same problem

hmm thats opposite of the normal issue with this year of truck(i have one of they same). most say its always to easy to turn. I've heard that replaceing the pump with a '96 ps pump fixes the to easy steering perhaps it would be the same for realy stiff steering? see what some of the other members say before you take my word on it though.