GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Rotors glowing hot!!! whats the deal

This is a discussion on Rotors glowing hot!!! whats the deal within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Ok so about a month ago i had a friend of the family do a brake job and everything worked ...

Rotors glowing hot!!! whats the deal

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Ok so about a month ago i had a friend of the family do a brake job and everything worked fine. but then i got home tonight and when i walked by my truck i could smell some kind of burning so i looked around, and then noticed that rotor on the drivers side was litterally glowing orange. is this bad?? what happened? and how can this be fixed??

Re: Rotors glowing hot!!! whats the deal

sounds like the caliper is locked . definatly get it looked at asap and dont drive it till so.. have seen em get and discolor but not glow red hot!!!!

"Lifes all bout making mistakes, It's how you learn from them that counts"

They can also get overheated if you just slap on a new set of pads without turning the rotors, because the pads won't evenly seat to the worn rotors. This requires you to press the brake pedal down longer and harder, getting the rotors nice and toasty hot.

If you had a sticky or stuck caliper, you would get a steering pull to the side with the stuck caliper, I would think you would definitely have noted that.

1997 Sierra 2500HD 4x4, 454, ECSB
    1998 Silverado K1500 Z71, 350, ECSB
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT Sport

oh that is another thing, when i'm driving fast and coming to a stop it does pull to the right pretty hard, but alignment has always been i liittle messed up so i just figured the rims made it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by GMCon22s
    oh that is another thing, when i'm driving fast and coming to a stop it does pull to the right pretty hard, but alignment has always been i liittle messed up so i just figured the rims made it worse.

Well I'm sure that you've heard that any time you put on larger rims, it puts a huge strain on the brakes and you should upgrade; that's not helping you any. But if you get a pull ONLY when braking, then the problem is almost 100% in the brakes and not in the alignment.]

So which rotor is getting red hot? The left rotor? It sounds like the right side isn't doing it's job - or maybe that's the one getting hot because it's not grabbing.

1997 Sierra 2500HD 4x4, 454, ECSB
    1998 Silverado K1500 Z71, 350, ECSB
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT Sport

nice. glowing orange hot. then hit a water puddle or rain and watch that rotor warp all to hell. get it looked at. something is not right, especially considering only the driver's side is getting heated. i've seen them glow orange hot in nascar, not on a full-size street legal chevy.

Caliper is hanging up.
    2001 rcsb Z71 06 clip, lowered, 6.0 LQ9, p&p 241s, cam, PI3600, LPP long tubes, etc. Tuned by TJ of Baker Engineering Inc - SOLD
    1989 rcsb 4x4, solid axled, HP44/14ff, 4.88s, 35s/20s

the driver side is the one getting super hot. a guy told me whichever way it pulls, it's the opposite side that is the problem. so in this case it pulls to the right which means the left is the problem

stuck caliper, if you've gotten the rotors that hot, the damage is likely already done. if you want advice, tear it apart and locate your caliper problem. could be just in need of grease or the caliper may need to be replaced. either way, you'r brakes are going to fail at this rate, and most likely when you most need them.

I suppose a quick check would be to pull the wheels and give each caliper a couple of good whacks with a rubber mallet. you should be able to determine if the pins are sliding or binding.
    2001 silverado ECSB 4.8 3.73's
    Mods? hows' selling it in 54 days and trading for an 06 for a mod. complete replacement of everything.

new ride:
    06 sierra 5.3 ECSB

ok got it fixed today, it turns out the caliper was sticking. and they only had to replace the caliper which saved me a little money. thank you to everyone who replied
    1995 GMC 1500, 22" Helo Cash wheels wrapped in nitto 265/35's, 2/4 djm drop, 2 Diamond Audio D6 12's, Elemental Designs nine.1 sub amp, Diamond Audio D6 5.25" components in kicks, Diamond Audio D3 400.2 amp for comps.