***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Proper direction of 1-2 accumulator piston in 4L60E

This is a discussion on Proper direction of 1-2 accumulator piston in 4L60E within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; HELP!!! I'm trying to rebuild a 96 Silverado 1/2 ton pickup transmission (4L60E). I have the 96 GM Unit Repair ...

Proper direction of 1-2 accumulator piston in 4L60E

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    HELP!!! I'm trying to rebuild a 96 Silverado 1/2 ton pickup transmission (4L60E). I have the 96 GM Unit Repair manual on transmissions and it says that the three legs on the 1-2 piston must face "away" from the case. The picture and the instructions show the springs going into the cover and pin assembly, and then the piston, with the three legs towards the cover. The ATSG (Automatic Transmission Service Group) manual says to first put the piston into the Cover and Pin Assembly with the three legs pointing "toward" the case or the spacer plate. They then show the spring being installed between the piston and the spacer plate. One of these instructions must obviously be wrong, unless GM changed the design from 93, which is what the ATSG book refers to, to 96. Does anybody out there know which is the correct way? I rebuilt the transmission last year in May, and in less than 2000 miles it burned up the 2-4 band. The transmission quit shifting into second. I had the three legs of the 1-2 accumulator piston facing away from the case and the springs inside the Cover assembly.I wonder if the piston and springs should have been reversed?

Re: Proper direction of 1-2 accumulator piston in 4L60E

Hey man, i hope this link may be able to help you- i tried asking several buddies and its a matter of knowing the piece when you remove it the first time. I know the the dished sides of the accumulator piston should face towards the seperator plate, i just cant picture the actual 'legs' on the piston. I suggest checking this link out it has a couple good diagrams:

http://www.tciauto.com/instructions/376001_inst.htm

Also, another thought, look at your lip seal on that 1-2, make sure it is facing the correct direction in respect to the actual piston, it needs to 'seal and slide' properly or you'll be doing yet another rebuild. Hope this helps you get the wheels turning again. Good luck.

Smile Re: Proper direction of 1-2 accumulator piston in 4L60E

Thanks for your response, live2dew. The site you gave had the pistons the same way as the ATSG manual. I am pretty sure that the OFFICIAL Factory Manual has the piston and spring for the 1-2 accumulator backwards. I traced the fluid channels through the valve body and the transmission case, and the 2nd cyl fluid line comes in on the top of the 1-2 accumulator housing. The fluid schematic in the OFFICIAL manual shows the fluid entering on top of the 1-2 accumulator piston and acting against the spring force. If you go by the assembly instructions, then the fluid acts in the same direction as the spring, which accomplishes nothing. I wonder how many shops rebuilt the 4L60e transmission incorrectly because of the major error in the shop manual? Thanks again for yor help.

No way, a shop manual....wrong? never. ha

So did you get your 4l60 back and shifting? Good thing for the forums, i know thats not the only thing that has been found wrong in shop manuals. They just love to have comebacks and double charge everyone for the rebuild. Anyways,I have a 4T60e book that i can check in too, im pretty positive that the accumulators etc are all the same throughout the transaxle/transmissions, if you have any problems again, just let me know and i'll check there to see if its different.

Keep the Rubber Side Down

Re: No way, a shop manual....wrong? never. ha

So how hard is it? I'm thinking doing it to my 97 Tahoe..
    And yes there is differences through the years.
    1995, 96, 97 all recieved updates each year.

1997 K1500-5.7L-Duals-AEM Brute force-Upgraded ign sys.-Detroit Trutrac, COOPER STT 285, 3:42's DVD player HU, KX1200.1, 2 kicker 10" L7's, Polk Components, TYC HID's, Shiftkit Built Trny
    2001 Camaro Z28 lotsa goodies-Mid 12's.

4t60e

A shift kit isnt that hard. The basics for the GM 4t60e are pretty much alike through the years. There were some changes and improvements, but all in all its a commonly used transmission and im sure there are plenty of resources out there for your 97 year model. Be sure to check your ID plate on the side of the transmission, keep that number and use it when ordering the parts/kit. A complete rebuild is another thing. If you're looking just to get a Transtar kit or something alike, all that you need to do is remove the valve body and channel plate, bore out a couple fluid passages, replace a spring or two and you're just about done. If you're looking to upgrade clutches or replace anything internally, you're going to be looking at a cluster of seperate pieces, snap rings, o-rings, bearings, servo's, clutches, bands, sun and planetary gearsets and so on. The process is lengthy and be sure to know what order you took things out, the direction they were in the tranny.Make srue you set them aside in the order you take them out, it'll save you some frustration. Also, Get yourself a good manual, but dont trust it completely(see Robert L's problem), just make sure you really know what order and the configuration of the internals. However, i say if it aint broke dont fix it. Go with the shift kit, drop the pan, remove the valve body etc, and you'll feel stronger shifts and you will get performance out of the 4L60E for a little over $100, and a couple hours in labor. All in all its worth it. Good luck buddy.

Re: Proper direction of 1-2 accumulator piston in 4L60E

From '82 to'93, ALL 700R4 and 4L60E put the piston in the housing first (legs facing the plate). Starting in '94 and through '06 ALL 4L60(65)(70)E had the springs first and then the legs facing the housing. Unfortunately, the ATSG book came out in '93 and is only accurate for that year.
    bolt54
    05 Silverado, Z71, ECSB, 5.3(B), 3.42, Vararam VR-6, Wester's 91/93 dual hot tune
    Rhino liner, Lorado Access Tonneau Cover, Corsa sport cat-back dual rear exit.
    I'd rather push my Chevy than drive a ford.

At the end of the day, only one thing matters: John 14:6

I think we've found our answer

Alrighty Bolt54. That makes sense, good to know. Thanks for summing it up.
    ~Keep the rubber side down and burn those tires-

2000 Sierra Stepside RC 2wd 4.3 CPI 5-spd