GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 194 of 543 FirstFirst ... 94144184192193194195196204244294 ... LastLast
Results 3,861 to 3,880 of 10853
Like Tree22Likes

96-99 454 Vortec owners?

This is a discussion on 96-99 454 Vortec owners? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by 99chevy7.4L Yes they do put the Yellow Top Ford Motorsport Injectors in there trucks. They are nearly ...

Re: 96-99 454 Vortec owners?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Quote Originally Posted by 99chevy7.4L View Post
    Yes they do put the Yellow Top Ford Motorsport Injectors in there trucks. They are nearly identical to the originals in our trucks. The original injectors are prone to leak as does the fuel pressure regulator. Word to the wise while you have the upper intake off take care of everything in there and back there. Change the fuel pressure regulator, Distributor cap, Rotor, Wires, maybe even put an ignition module in it. Many here use the ford injectors. I couldn't bare the thought of blue oval parts in my Bowtie so I use LS-1 Injectors. I find that they work great and you don't need to tune the PCM to use them. The part number is GM# 125558894.

The link below is the link you are looking for. Those are the ford motorsport injectors that are drop in replacements as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/8-199...Q5fCarQ5fParts
    Hey thanks. I had the heads re-done, new dizzy gear, all the electronics behind the plenum replaced, msd 8mm wires.

I know I have a leaking injector and with 153k it is time to replace them. I will also change the FPR.

I have a 99 4X4 L29 The factoy PF 454 Oil Filter is awfully small,
    a NAPA 1060 Filter screws right on and I see no clearance issue.
    What size filter are you guys running?
    Last edited by sno-pro79; 06-29-2010 at 09:18 AM.
    99 3500 Crew Cab Dually 4x4 L29

85 K-20 400 SB

Quote Originally Posted by sno-pro79 View Post
    I use the larger filter........ AC Delco PF 1218. Apparently some 454s got them from the factory and some didn't. There was a vin number where the split occurred, but I don't know why.

I may not be using AC Delco for much longer, Though. First they moved production to Mexico, and I actually emailed ACDelco/GM and complained. Then they brought production back to the US, so others must have complained too. However, I think they're made by Champion Labs, now. They look different/cheaper than they used to. I don't know if they're really bad, but I don't like the way they look......... the end the screws onto the engine looks a bit flimsy to me. I may switch to NAPA/Wix.
    454cid
    1999 K3500 RCLB

Rockford, IL, just below the cheddar curtain

I personally haven't found any listing for a PF454 on a 454, all are PF1218's now (96-00).

The 8100's all got PF454's, but I don't think there is a reason they can't use a PF1218. Even my mom and dad's 2003 Damon 373 RV with 8100 V8 got a PF454.... Amazingly small....

I have seen shops put on the PF454 to keep from stocking the PF1218 (not used much in comparison)... Wrong filter for the application, but it works.... for a while till it goes into bypass much sooner than a PF1218 will.

Quote Originally Posted by sno-pro79 View Post
    I switched to Wix a while back, I like the construction too, much more solid oil filter....

Quote Originally Posted by 454cid View Post
    I use the larger filter........ AC Delco PF 1218. Apparently some 454s got them from the factory and some didn't. There was a vin number where the split occurred, but I don't know why.

I may not be using AC Delco for much longer, Though. First they moved production to Mexico, and I actually emailed ACDelco/GM and complained. Then they brought production back to the US, so others must have complained too. However, I think they're made by Champion Labs, now. They look different/cheaper than they used to. I don't know if they're really bad, but I don't like the way they look......... the end the screws onto the engine looks a bit flimsy to me. I may switch to NAPA/Wix.
    Last edited by N0DIH; 06-30-2010 at 12:19 AM.

Out of curiousity are the gas caps in our trucks Vented or Non-Vented? I am curious as to whether not fastening the gas cap till it clicks would allow the fuel pressure to bleed off. I put in the new injectors a while back. New FPR of course. So out of curiousity I checked the fuel pressure and sure enough it was bleeding pressure off. I checked the gas cap and it wasn't tight. I had to turn it a little bit to get it to click. My dad recently borrowed my truck and didn't tighten the cap all the way.
    CCLB dually, LS-1 Injectors, Airaid Intake, Magnaflow 2.5 dual in/out, Derale Cooling Tube Pan, B&W 24K super cooler[

Anyone on here ever switched to hydraulic lines in place of the cheesy oil cooler lines from gm?

Quote Originally Posted by Hatfieco View Post
    Anyone on here ever switched to hydraulic lines in place of the cheesy oil cooler lines from gm?
    No, but it's something I thought of trying. I think the local CarQuest will build the lines for me.
    454cid
    1999 K3500 RCLB

I believe that they are non vented due to emission requirements. I usually get a bleed off of pressure when I open my gas cap. Especially if the tank is near empty.
    2003 2500HD, Duramax, FloPro Dual Exhaust, Pioneer AVH-3400

2012 Camaro, 1SS, M6

No I haven't replaced those lines but I have really considered it. If I were to change them I would go with a braided line maybe even that new Blue hose they make. The blue hose is just as good but easier to put together.
    CCLB dually, LS-1 Injectors, Airaid Intake, Magnaflow 2.5 dual in/out, Derale Cooling Tube Pan, B&W 24K super cooler[

Hey guys, finaly working on the OBS to NBS brake upgrade.

So far everything is looking good. The swap will use stock ball joints. The lower will fit into the hub carrier just like stock. The upper however needs the hole in the carrier reamed out to the larger size for our stock upper to fit into it.

What I am trying to figure out right now is if our stock ball joints have 7 degree(1.5" per foot) or 10 degree(2" per foot) tapered shafts. I tried to measure and do the math, my numbers came out just over 2" per foot but I would like to verify.

I am looking for a local shop that has the tapered reamer bit to enlarge the hole in the carrier, because I really don't want to spend the $100 it cost to buy one for just 2 holes.

If anyone has any spec info on the stock balljoints that would help alot. Thanks.

Just thought I'd join the ranks of 454 Vortec owners. I have a 1996 C3500 crew cab dually and wouldn't part with it for the world. I can't believe the amount of information you all have compiled... absolutely mind boggling. Everything I've been looking for is here. Thanks.

Hi 1 Ton Bowtie welcome to the forum. Have you done any mods to your dually. Any injector or fuel pressure regulator issues?

Thanks! No, no mods yet but I'm interested in modding my truck, that's how I found this forum. Cat back Magnaflow duals, that's about it right now. I've not had any problems with injectors or FPR's... yet. The truck has never let me down.

Well your truck has a dual exhaust back to the muffler. It is dual in single out on the factory muffler. What I have done and a few on this forum is go with a dual in and dual out magnaflow muffler. And x-pipe and dual in and dual out muffler will help quite a bit right from the start. The magnaflow I used was a #12468 and I believe a few more have used this one as well. Don't worry about your cats there hi-flow from the factory. Hope that answers a few questions or atleast gives you an idea of where to start.

I have true duals. Does the x-pipe serve the same purpose as the old crossover or equalizer tube from the 70's and 80's?

wtd

Quote Originally Posted by 454cid View Post
    I think that price means you'll find the words "Made in China" on it someplace. There's another company that sells them on Ebay for a lot more, and I beleive they state that they are US made.
    I bought one of the cheap billet distributors for my 7.4L from ebay last year and it works great. I only paid $80 for mine. It wasn't the one listed above. Its a lot better than the stock one.

Wayne
    98 ext-cab Z-71 5.7L/4L60E/10 bolt/3.73 locking diff
    Borla duel rear exit exhaust, HD bilstein shocks LT265/75R16 Michelin LTX A/T tires

98 reg cab long bed K3500 4x4 7.4L/4L80E/14 bolt FF/4.10 locking diff. Flowmaster Cat-back, LT245/75/16 Michelin LTX M/S tires.

wtd

Quote Originally Posted by 99chevy7.4L View Post
    Out of curiousity are the gas caps in our trucks Vented or Non-Vented? I am curious as to whether not fastening the gas cap till it clicks would allow the fuel pressure to bleed off. I put in the new injectors a while back. New FPR of course. So out of curiousity I checked the fuel pressure and sure enough it was bleeding pressure off. I checked the gas cap and it wasn't tight. I had to turn it a little bit to get it to click. My dad recently borrowed my truck and didn't tighten the cap all the way.
    I don't know but I do know that the replacement gas cap I bought from the dealer works a lot better than the aftermarket one from the local parts store. With the Acdelco replacement gas cap, the truck starts right up. With the aftermarket cap, the truck kind of hesitated before it would start, like it had lost some pressure.

Wayne
    Borla duel rear exit exhaust, HD bilstein shocks LT265/75R16 Michelin LTX A/T tires

98 reg cab long bed K3500 4x4 7.4L/4L80E/14 bolt FF/4.10 locking diff. Flowmaster Cat-back, LT245/75/16 Michelin LTX M/S tires.

wtd

What brand of fan clutches are you guys using on your 7.4's? I bought a Hayden replacement clutch and when I compared it to the original fan clutch, it was almost an inch in diameter smaller and it was the same thickness. I also looked at a Torq Flo clutch and it was the same size as the Hayden one. I took the Hayden one back and I'm probably going to go with an ACdelco one but they are about twice the price. Which ones have you guys had good luck with? Do you recommend aftermarket or OEM? Thanks.

Wayne

Back to the fuel pressure topic for a minute: Your fuel cap will not affect fuel pressure. The tank and filler neck, while sealed from the outside because of emissions requirements, aren't part of the high pressure system. The high pressure system starts at the fuel pump, includes the high pressure line, the injector rail and injectors, and ends at the fuel pressure regulator. The regulator dumps in to the return line, which also isn't part of the high pressure system. That's why if your fuel pressure is bleeding off, you've only got 3 possible problems: the pump outlet check valve, the injectors, or the regulator.

It's easy to tell where your fuel pressure is going, too. Crawl under the truck, and using some hose pinch pliers (or vice grips wrapped in a rag if you're desperate) and start pinching off lines. If the pressure holds with the high pressure or supply line pinched, you need a pump. If it holds once the return line is pinched, you need a regulator. If blocking both lines doesn't help, you need injectors. Please note that this is all done with the truck off - don't start it! :)
    Gov't/ASE Certified Master Automotive Technician w/ Red Seal
    2000 Chevrolet K2500 CCSB 454
    10:1 compression, ZZ502 cam and timing set, adjustable valvetrain, roller tip rockers, custom heads, Bosch 30lb injectors, custom programming, custom exhaust, high volume oil pump w/ steel shaft guide.

Rockford, IL, just below the cheddar curtain

I haven't had to replace one yet since my 76 Delta 88 one failed. Put a factory Ford HD one on, was identical, just had a 5 blade fan on and I installed my 6 blade on it. My 80 Turbo T/A has the identical fan and clutch as my 7000 lb tow package 94 LT1 Fleetwood has. 100% identical. And both work very well, to a point where I can stick my hand in the fan with it running and even spin it backwards, that is how good it free wheels..... . But if it is engaged, forget it!

Quote Originally Posted by wtd View Post
    What brand of fan clutches are you guys using on your 7.4's? I bought a Hayden replacement clutch and when I compared it to the original fan clutch, it was almost an inch in diameter smaller and it was the same thickness. I also looked at a Torq Flo clutch and it was the same size as the Hayden one. I took the Hayden one back and I'm probably going to go with an ACdelco one but they are about twice the price. Which ones have you guys had good luck with? Do you recommend aftermarket or OEM? Thanks.

Wayne