***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

10-Bolt Carrier Shims

This is a discussion on 10-Bolt Carrier Shims within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I'm re-building a GM 10-Bolt axle. I got a shim set off ebay when I purchased a 'used' carrier. Anyway; ...

10-Bolt Carrier Shims

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I'm re-building a GM 10-Bolt axle. I got a shim set off ebay when I purchased a 'used' carrier. Anyway; each of these shims are in the range of 1/4 inch thick. Does this seam right? The only other axle I did was a Ford 8.8 and the shims it had were all very thin. Thanks.

TAVS

Re: 10-Bolt Carrier Shims

Quote Originally Posted by TAVS
    I'm re-building a GM 10-Bolt axle. I got a shim set off ebay when I purchased a 'used' carrier. Anyway; each of these shims are in the range of 1/4 inch thick. Does this seam right? The only other axle I did was a Ford 8.8 and the shims it had were all very thin. Thanks.

TAVS
    Welcome to FSC forums.

If you bought a proper shim kit, you should have an assortment of shims from very very thin up to about 1/4".

When disassembling your 10 bolt, keep track of the shims allready in and which side they go on. use the same shims when reinstallingthe new 3rd member. This is usually an excellent starting point.

peace
    Pauly
    97 GMC 2wd RCSB 5.7, s10 2700 footstall, Hooker 24621hkr LT's , 2.5" cats dual 4"pipes exit B4 pass. side tire, custom driveshaft 3.42 G80 FIPK MAF descreen GM/Mercruiser Marine intake manifold 29lb LS2(EV6) injectors Ed Wright PCM(best mod), LT4 KM 14.8@94mph 2.007 4000lbs 122mph

Re: 10-Bolt Carrier Shims

Thanks. I thought this would be the case. The shims just happened to come with the carrier I purchased. No biggie; I'll just buy a proper new shim kit. Thanks