GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Check gauges light flashing?

This is a discussion on Check gauges light flashing? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have a 90 silverado with a 350 and AT. About 180k on it all original i think. After it ...

Check gauges light flashing?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have a 90 silverado with a 350 and AT. About 180k on it all original i think. After it warms up, say driving down the freeway for about 15 miles or through town it will idle low and the "check gauges light" will flicker when sitting at a light in drive. A quick rev and the light goes out but will keep flickering after it returns to idle. Oil pressure gauge fluctuates but might be broken. Seems worse if the a/c is on or under heavy load (lights, stereo). Drives me nuts its been doing it for over a year now. Any good news?

Re: Check gauges light flashing?

Souds like your oil pressure sender is on its way out. Should be the one by the distributor.

Would that make the rpm's dip when in gear and at a stop?

nope. Is the check engine light on? Could be the throttle position sensor or the EGR valve. Try pulling the engine codes
    Last edited by Dubyagee; 07-01-2006 at 07:54 PM.

No check engine light and there are no codes stored i've already checked that. EGR valve and sensor are new. TPS sensor is new. Just about every other sensor has been replaced within a year. The truck has been doing this even before i replaced the sensors. I've taken it to a few different shops and no one can figure it out.

Sounds like the idle stop needs on the tbi needs to be adjusted a little higher. And in case you havent, check the MAP sensor.

I have a 95 Z71 350....doing the same check engine light flashing/flickering thing... Mine seems to flicker with the vibrations from hitting bumps in the road. I was under the hood yesterday putting a new cap and rotor on, so I started to look for obvious bad wires, moved some wires around a bit. Didnít seem to do much, but now the light stays on harder (not so much flickering) except when I get in (the truck) it goes off. So I thing I had my hands on the bad wire, just have to narrow it down now. It is bogging my mind what circuit could be shorting out and not storing any codes. Hope thins helps a little, I will post anything I figure out.

I replaced the MAP sensor too it was giving me trouble a while back. It idles fine when its cold but i'll give it a try adjusting those needles I guess. What have i got to lose?

Quote Originally Posted by Bagged90chevy
    I replaced the MAP sensor too it was giving me trouble a while back. It idles fine when its cold but i'll give it a try adjusting those needles I guess. What have i got to lose?
    Adjusting the needles will do nothing. You need to know the actual oil pressure to know where to adjust them. Get an oil pressure test gauge, then adjust the needles.

Whens the last time you changed the O2 sensor?

I can see the check guages light flickering if oil pressure is on the verge of being to low. Oil pressure will be lower when hot than when cold. revving the engine raises the oil pressure and shuts the check gauges light off.

My Dads 89 TBI 305 had a flickering check engine light as well as a low oil pressure gauge. An oil pressure sending gauge fixed it all.
    These earlier TBI trucks were known for oil pressure sending units, this could be why your gauge may seem to be broken.

peace
    PAuly
    97 GMC 2wd RCSB 5.7, s10 2700 footstall, Hooker 24621hkr LT's , 2.5" cats dual 4"pipes exit B4 pass. side tire, custom driveshaft 3.42 G80 FIPK MAF descreen GM/Mercruiser Marine intake manifold 29lb LS2(EV6) injectors Ed Wright PCM(best mod), LT4 KM 14.8@94mph 2.007 4000lbs 122mph

Quote Originally Posted by Bagged90chevy
    No check engine light and there are no codes stored i've already checked that. EGR valve and sensor are new. TPS sensor is new. Just about every other sensor has been replaced within a year. The truck has been doing this even before i replaced the sensors. I've taken it to a few different shops and no one can figure it out.
    New or not sensors can go bad.
    Proud to be an AMERICAN, Proud to serve AMERICA, and Proud to be an owner of three AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIERS.
    www.customgm.com
    1997 2 door Tahoe Z71
    SOLD
    2004 Sierra crew cab
    2/4 drop, denali head lights, esky handle, vho wheels, cal speed headers, BBT

Thanks for the info. I'll try replacing the sending unit first and see if that does the trick. Is it one of those things you have to drain a little oil first like a coolant temp sensor or can you just pop it on and off.

The sending unit is at the top of the engine at the back, so unless the engine is running you shouldnt have mcuh oil at all come out.

peace
    PAuly
    97 GMC 2wd RCSB 5.7, s10 2700 footstall, Hooker 24621hkr LT's , 2.5" cats dual 4"pipes exit B4 pass. side tire, custom driveshaft 3.42 G80 FIPK MAF descreen GM/Mercruiser Marine intake manifold 29lb LS2(EV6) injectors Ed Wright PCM(best mod), LT4 KM 14.8@94mph 2.007 4000lbs 122mph

Sounds simular (though not exactlly) like a problem I have ahad a couple times (93 k1500). every time it has been the O2 sensor..... might be somethign to look into.

It could just as easily be a dying alternator. It would fit all the described symptoms.

SOLD - 6/14/07

Mods: TB spacer, Hypertech "dog dish", MSD coil & wires, tbichips.com hot chip, electric fans, K&N