If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Replacement shocks for a 97 Z71

This is a discussion on Replacement shocks for a 97 Z71 within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; just curious what some of your thoughts were on the best shocks to get for a 97 Z71. its completely ...

Smile Replacement shocks for a 97 Z71

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    just curious what some of your thoughts were on the best shocks to get for a 97 Z71. its completely original (no lift or lowering) The bilsteins are going. backend is starting to hop and bounce alot over train tracks and bumps in the road that it didn't before. seems like there is some more body roll as well. it has 173,000 miles and i pretty sure they are the original shocks.
    trying to keep the price around 60-80 dollars for each shock. (cheaper if you guys know of any)would like to keep it close to the orginial ride.
    looking at bilsteins, kyb, monroe, edlerbrock...

thanks for any advice......

p.s. if there is any thread already out there about this just send me a link to it. i searched but couldn't find anything.

Re: Replacement shocks for a 97 Z71

wow 173k on the oem bilsteins they are shot for sure! I just replaced mine at 143k and they were dead in the rear but not too bad up front. I went ahead and got a set of 4 Monroe Reflex Monotubes from checker. They did a price match and beat it by 5%. They were $42.75ea. They are a overall good shock. ride is nice but then again the OEM's were shot. They are by far the best priced shock you will find that is a monotube. Get ONLY a monotube style shock. You may also look into the Gabreil Max Control Monotube they are around $50 and so is the KYB MonoMax. Hope this helps some. Let me know if you have any more questions. The part number for the Monroes are Front 911511 and Rears 911512.

Chris
    Red 2004 Silverado Z71 ECSB, 17" Alloys, 265 Dueler Revo's, Spectre Cold Air, No Name Dual Exhaust, TruXido Lo Pro, Westin Nerfs, OnStar, XM, TomTom, Bose, USA Spec iPod interface, Sprayed in bed liner and Valet Remote Start!

just me

BILSTEINS

98'Z71,20'sSOLD,22's in the summer 16's in the winter,
    2006 Z71 Tahoe
    2002 Cummins Dodge 4x4
    2002 D-MAX Chevy 4x4
    2006 Mega Cab Cummins lift 37" Kumho mt's ,Garmon Diesel Performance engine and full billet trans...

I have a 97 ext step side Z71 . I have been looking around as well for shocks and it seems like i am going to have to by the bilsteins . every thing else looks like it mite be a rip. let me know what you find out there . I will keep my eye open to.

Quote Originally Posted by 1realZ71
    BILSTEINS
    '96 K1500 Ext. Cab, 5.7 w/Upgraded Spider Injectors, S&B CAI, 6" RCD, Flipped BJ's, 35" BFG M/T's On Ultra Xtreme's, Yukon 4.56's & True-Trac, Dual Flow 40's, Wet Okoles, Line-Xhttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/1281046/1 Sig By alphaecho4386

What is the difference in the Bilstein 5100s and the HDs as far as ride and all.
    Last edited by rlc2500hd; 09-13-2006 at 02:01 PM.

Z71nutty, thanks for the part numbers on the Monroe Reflex Monotubes. I will keep them in mind. going to do some more research on both the monroe and the bilsteins... I was pretty happy with the bilsteins but I am a little tight on the cash. going to try and replace them myself. I have done s-10's and blazers before, hopefully they are similiar.

thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by chevy1980
    Z71nutty, thanks for the part numbers on the Monroe Reflex Monotubes. I will keep them in mind. going to do some more research on both the monroe and the bilsteins... I was pretty happy with the bilsteins but I am a little tight on the cash. going to try and replace them myself. I have done s-10's and blazers before, hopefully they are similiar.

thanks again
    Really simple to do. Support with a jack & stand, unbolt, bolt new in. probably have to put in the new bushings & metal sleeve too, I had to on mine.
    '96 K1500 Ext. Cab, 5.7 w/Upgraded Spider Injectors, S&B CAI, 6" RCD, Flipped BJ's, 35" BFG M/T's On Ultra Xtreme's, Yukon 4.56's & True-Trac, Dual Flow 40's, Wet Okoles, Line-Xhttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/1281046/1 Sig By alphaecho4386

yea they are simple to do. I have help when doing mine. a second pair of hands helps alot! Just found out that the Monroe Monotube also have a large 46mm piston bore like the Bilsteins...oh and Monroe also has some shock deal going on when you buy 4 shocks you get a $20 cert. to the store you bought them at. The Monroea also came with every thing I needed like bushing and what not...good luck!
    Red 2004 Silverado Z71 ECSB, 17" Alloys, 265 Dueler Revo's, Spectre Cold Air, No Name Dual Exhaust, TruXido Lo Pro, Westin Nerfs, OnStar, XM, TomTom, Bose, USA Spec iPod interface, Sprayed in bed liner and Valet Remote Start!