GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Key won't turn in Silverado ignition.

This is a discussion on Key won't turn in Silverado ignition. within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I drive an '01 Silverado. My key worked fine until I parked my truck. I went back ten minutes later, ...

Question Key won't turn in Silverado ignition.

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I drive an '01 Silverado. My key worked fine until I parked my truck. I went back ten minutes later, and I could not get the key to turn. It won't turn at all, in either direction. The wheel is not locked. The truck is parked on a level surface. When I push the key in all the way, and then remove it, the auto door locks unlock like they should. I tried pushing it all the way in, pulling it out a little bit, and then turning, and that didn't help.

What could cause this? Could it be something as simple as a stuck tumbler? My key ring is a little heavy, and from what I've read, that can cause this. Other than that, though, what are other possibilities?

Also, what do I need to do to remedy this problem? Graphite lubrication? Replace the ignition? What would be an approximate cost on the repair?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

LDL

Edited to add: I'm posting this in the Technichal forum also.
    Last edited by LDL707; 09-14-2006 at 02:08 AM.

Beauty & Horsepower! SilveradoSexy's Avatar

Re: Key won't turn in Silverado ignition.

when this happens to me in my tracker I just keep turning the wheel till i'm able to turn the key.

'03 SS AWD 6.0L Radix 112 S/C w/ 3" pulley

Lifelong Chevy Man

Does the Security light flash at you or anything like that? Did anything unusual happen before this started? Just wondering if it can be part of the GM Passlock security system.

- Russ

Make sure the shifter is all the way in park.Jiggle it a bit if you have to.

My (ex-)wife's Malibu did this a couple times. I was going to replace the ignition cylinder, then realized that if I just sprayed some WD-40 in the key hole, everything worked fine. Has been about 6-8 months now, and it is still working fine. I would guess it was a stuck tumbler and she also carried a lot of keys/junk on her ring.
    2007 Silverado 2500 HD Classic ECLB 4x4. 6.0, 4.10's, G80, MB Blitz wheels, 255/85/16 BFG MT's, Predator programmer, SOLD! No more gov't motors for me, at least not right now.

Gun control is not about guns, it's about control.

Thanks for the help.

It ended up being a stuck tumbler. I took off the steering column cover and sprayed some graphite lubricant in the keyhole, then I just tapped the cylinder with a screwdriver a few times to work the graphite into the tumblers. It took about 20 minutes and only cost $1.70 for graphite, instead of the $50/hr the locksmith would have charged.

Thanks again.