***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

2000 escalade w/ 5.7L fuel pump inop

This is a discussion on 2000 escalade w/ 5.7L fuel pump inop within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Thought the truck was a little quiet when i turned the key this morning, sure enough, fuel pump is not ...

Exclamation 2000 escalade w/ 5.7L fuel pump inop

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Thought the truck was a little quiet when i turned the key this morning, sure enough, fuel pump is not charging. Actually, fuel pump is not running at all. I have removed the fuel pump relay under the hood, hooked it up to a 12v source, and it checks good. I can't seem to get my hands up around the connector good enough to disconnect it at the top of the tank. I'd drop the tank, but i just filled it. Also, i have never done it before, and not sure how far i can drop it without damaging the aluminum lines that go into it? Is there some kind of a fuse or something other than the relay? Fuseable link or something? Any help would be appreciated seeing how that is my only ride, and i'm stuck at home now.

Re: 2000 escalade w/ 5.7L fuel pump inop

you should be able to drop it about 8 - 10 inches without a problem. Check the connectors at the pump and the wiring leading to the pump. Unfortunately this is a common issue in these trucks (the pump dies). I did mine 2 years ago, and since then I change my fuel filter every 12k and never let the tank run below 1/4. The gas keeps the pump cool, if you drive it often on E it'll kill your pump in no time
    Last edited by 99SLT; 09-23-2006 at 12:18 PM.

How much is a pump going to run me if i do the job myself? Or how much would you guess a shop would charge me? What would be a good method of empying the fuel out, of course, i just filled it, and only have 40 miles on the tank!!!

The fuel pump itself will run you around $300 or so. It's quite easy to do it yourself but the hard part is ,in your case, dropping the gas tank. See if you can buy a gas pump sucker, whatever is called, I have one and it sucks the gas right out through the filler gas hole.

96'RCSSB 5.0L Cammed LS1 or 6.0 Coming Later
    03'RCSSB 5.3,3:73's,G80 SOLD!!

You can probably get one for about $150-$200 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-D...QQcmdZViewItem) if you don't go to the dealership. When you drop the tank get the 3 digit code from the top, this will make your search alot easier. Try to find a hand syphon to get the gas out. I like the delco pumps myself, they have a no B.S 1 year warrenty I was able to use my dying pump to get the gas out, it took about 3 hours but I had no other way. After that it should take you about 2 hours to do it yourself for the first time (between dropping the tank, disconnecting everything, removing the pump, replacing the pump, reconnecting everything and putting the tank back up) Some places will charge upwards of $600 for this service

I almost forgot. If you do it yourself the only special tool you'll need is a fuel line disconnect tool. It'll save you alot of time and cussing
    Last edited by 99SLT; 09-23-2006 at 04:40 PM.

I'm gonna help you out here.I have a 99 Denali.I've done the pump twice.Do not get the "Master" brand.It is loud as balls and will drive you nuts.The Bosch one worked well for me.Yes you will need the little fuel line quick-disconnects.All the auot parts stores have them

Here is the order in which you should do it.
    1..You are gonna have to get the tank almost empty.Trust me.No two ways about it.Do NOT think you can get it 1/2 or 1/4 and be succesful.

2..jack the back of the truck up about 10inches or so.Keep the rear-end up with it.

3..Lay underneath and look towards the back.You will see two hoses.Large is the feed and the small is the vent.Undo clamps and pull off.

4..Loosen the two clamps that hold the strap for the body of the tank.

5.Have a floor jack here just incase.I layed under the tank and let it down and the large filler opening will catch the rear-end and leave it there.Careful now.A little tug and it is all over.Take the left rear wheel off.Right behind the frame rail will be a small harness.NOT the fuel harness but another on the top of the "buldge" of the rear-portion of the tank.Undo it.

6..Undo the fuel harness wiring.Careful here too.Brittle little bastards.CHECK the insides here 1st.BIG issue with them getting shorted out.

7..Take the quick-diconnects and undo the two fule lines.You have enough of "soft" flexible line to play with.It's not all metal.

8.Up front-side of the tank should be another sensor.Undo that.

9..Let the tank down BACKSIDE 1st.You are gonna have to give it a pull to get by the rear-end.Be ready for it.

10..Pull the tank out and undo the collar for the fuel pump.take notwe of the orientationof the fuel sender direction and wiring harness.It will only work one way right.Take it out and look at it.Look for shorts.It'll scrae the crap outta ya.Shorting wires in gas..yes it is true.

11..Put the pump is and make sure the seal is good.Use the new one they give you.It's pretty straight forward.

Reverse those steps and you are done.BEFORE you do anything make sure look all in the tank with a flashlight and look for debris in there.Do not get the filter on the bottom of the pump kinked or folded over.You'll see what I mean when you get in there.Put the tank up over the axle again and hook both sensors and the wiring harness back up.Hook the fuel lines.They just click on.Make sure they click.Be gentle with them.Turn the ignition on and make sure it works right before bolting it all up.

I did this twice in a couple days.By myself.Not fun but I could do it on the side of a road now in about 20 minutes with the right tools.The pump is expensive.Get the right one.It iwll be obviuos which one is right if you are unsure.many different wires other one.

Good Luck.

I just did a front window motor today..That sucked.Next time will be simple though..knocksonwood

So you recommend getting the bosch pump instead of the gm pump? I was told the bosch is a lifetime warranty. GM is a year.

You can get fuel pump repair kits off of ebay fro $85. They include new GM pumps, new strainers, flex hoses and everything else you need to do teh swap.
    This will be my next pump choice.

I am still on teh stock pump after 210,000 miles.(knock on wood)

peace
    PAuly
    97 GMC 2wd RCSB 5.7, s10 2700 footstall, Hooker 24621hkr LT's , 2.5" cats dual 4"pipes exit B4 pass. side tire, custom driveshaft 3.42 G80 FIPK MAF descreen GM/Mercruiser Marine intake manifold 29lb LS2(EV6) injectors Ed Wright PCM(best mod), LT4 KM 14.8@94mph 2.007 4000lbs 122mph

My Bosch one is very quiet.Quiet is good to me.I wouldn't rebuild one to save my life.Once you look what it sits in you'll know why.

I boughtt he Master cause I was cheap at the moment.It was around $200...I brought it back to the auto parts store so they could hear it.It sounded like water running through a half-empty hose.I could literally feel the fuel/air run through the lines under the driver floorboard.No one else could in the truck but I could fell it and that was that.They agreed something was off and gave me the Bosch as an upgrade for no more money.I've had it for several months and no issues.(knocksonwoodagain)

You dont rebuild teh pump, you get a new pump, you just dont have to replace all the parts in the strainer assembly that are still good.

I wouldnt rebuild the actual pump itself either.

There is a short pice of flex hos ethat actually absorbs the vibrations from teh pump. If yiou replace this special hose with hi pressure fuel injection hose, the pulsations from teh pump can be transmitted throughout the fuel system.

peace
    PAuly
    Last edited by Pauly; 09-24-2006 at 10:50 PM.
    97 GMC 2wd RCSB 5.7, s10 2700 footstall, Hooker 24621hkr LT's , 2.5" cats dual 4"pipes exit B4 pass. side tire, custom driveshaft 3.42 G80 FIPK MAF descreen GM/Mercruiser Marine intake manifold 29lb LS2(EV6) injectors Ed Wright PCM(best mod), LT4 KM 14.8@94mph 2.007 4000lbs 122mph