GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Help! I think my truck has odometer fraud

This is a discussion on Help! I think my truck has odometer fraud within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have a 2000 GMC truck and it has the electronic odometer. How would they roll it back?? The truck ...

Thumbs down Help! I think my truck has odometer fraud

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have a 2000 GMC truck and it has the electronic odometer. How would they roll it back?? The truck seems to have more miles on it than the outside would tell. Brakes are worn, and plugs indicate it. How does that thing work? I checked carfax and it says its too new!!

They can roll the electronic ones back. The mileage is held in 2 places as far as I know. The cluster and also I think its some sorta new fangled device in the tranny that holds it.

If its loud, fast and runs on flammable liquid......count me in.
    Built LQ9...blah blah blah

POMOFO Racing!!
    The trick is you have to bypass a couple of fuses inside the panel behind the glovebox..They do it all the time on Camaros so the can race them for a year or so and trde them in w/ like 15,000 miles. A guy at James Wood Denton told me that he would do it to my truck for 20.00 but I didnt want to incase the dealership found out and pressed charges but it IS verry possible this happend to yours.

There are guys that can roll it back using a laptop computer....I don't know how it's done but they can do it. And they do it right cause I seen cars that were traded in and the dealer never knew.

click signature for pics
    90 454ss
    92 454ss
    08 Avalanche

I wish people were like slinkys, fun to play with but when I get bored I can push them down the stairs.

POMOFO Racing!!
    Yup and there is no way of telling either the way these guys do it. Because they take the link between the sender and the reciever so its just like the comp never even knows your driving...

Gear Head
    if the truck had oil changes at like jiffy lube or wal-mart or even the dealer they keep records and mileages,you just need the previous owners name to make a inquiry,at the dealer you just need the vin#

POMOFO Racing!!
    If somebody does this they probrably arent dumb enough to take it to get a oil change ya know?

Originally posted by BADASS2001CHEVY
    If somebody does this they probrably arent dumb enough to take it to get a oil change ya know?
    Also when they do have things done they try to keep the mileage in the same ballpark......so they either go to a friend or slip a $50.00 to the GM service writer.

click signature for pics
    90 454ss
    92 454ss
    08 Avalanche

I wish people were like slinkys, fun to play with but when I get bored I can push them down the stairs.

POMOFO Racing!!
    Damn hackers..

Clusters

They could have very easily traded clusters or gotten a used cluster from someone with fewer miles than actual. This is probably the easiest thing to do.

changing clusters will show a different reading on the cluster, but the comp will show the actual if the dealership pulls it up on their computer system. What is being discussed here is modifying both, so they match and are lower than actual.
    Webshots
    2001 Silverado Z71
    Lift:
    Front end by Rancho - Rear end by Superlift (6" Leaf Springs), RS9000's, 4.56's with Auburn Pro LSD, 16x8 AR Bajas with 315.75 Xterrains
    Exterior:
    SmittyBilt Nerfsteps,Bushwacker Extendafenders, Bug Shield, GM bed rail covers, Xenon Bulbs, Tahoe Chrome grill surround, Billet Bowtie, Stull billet grill, APC clear corners...
    Performance:
    Helix Power Tower, HPPIII, UPD with homebrew RAM-Air, Flowmaster 50 series dual Catback

It is true that changing clusters retains the actual mileage in the computer but CamaroCasanova said nothing about checking the actual mileage in the computer. Basically someone who is buying a 2000 model truck isnt going to go to the dealership to get the mileage from the computer and most average people know nothing about changing out the cluster.

Are you guys sure about the mileage in the computer thing or are y'all just speculating? All of the service managers that I talked to at dealerships said that mileage was stored in the cluster only, not in the internal computer.
    2004 GMC Sierra 4wd 2500HD CC LLY/Alli
    2000 Silverado extended cab Z71
    1995 Silverado extended cab Z71
    1984 Silverado K10 6.2 lwb
    1972 GMC Jimmy 4x4

I know for sure it is stored somewhere besides the cluster. I know some jerk who didn't want to listen to me and rolled his mileage back in his lease car and when he turned it in they called him 3 days later with the exact mileage numbers that it was before he turned it back......he was lucky they just made him pay.

click signature for pics
    90 454ss
    92 454ss
    08 Avalanche

What kind of car did he have?
    2004 GMC Sierra 4wd 2500HD CC LLY/Alli
    2000 Silverado extended cab Z71
    1995 Silverado extended cab Z71
    1984 Silverado K10 6.2 lwb
    1972 GMC Jimmy 4x4

99 Escalade.....I should of said SUV

click signature for pics
    90 454ss
    92 454ss
    08 Avalanche