GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

spider injectors

This is a discussion on spider injectors within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; i have a 96 k1500 with a vortec 350 and im misfiring on almost all cylinders and my mechanic told ...

Question spider injectors

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    i have a 96 k1500 with a vortec 350 and im misfiring on almost all cylinders and my mechanic told me that i need to replace the spider injectors.can anyone tell me a little about these injectors and if there is a way to get around replacing all of them and spending 2,000 to fix it.

Re: spider injectors

If you're misfiring on all cylinders, I would think the problem is more likely to be ignition related.

But to answer your question, there is a much better alternative to replacing the original spider injectors which use poppet valves. The redesigned injectors convert the system from CSFI to MPFI. The MPFI set is also much more affordable!

Somebody help him out and post the part number.

Quote Originally Posted by masintenn
    If you're misfiring on all cylinders, I would think the problem is more likely to be ignition related.

But to answer your question, there is a much better alternative to replacing the original spider injectors which use poppet valves. The redesigned injectors convert the system from CSFI to MPFI. The MPFI set is also much more affordable!

Somebody help him out and post the part number.
    haha CSFI to MPFI...thats good, I like that. Explain to me how just changing the type of injector changes the ENTIRE intake system? Central Sequential Fuel Injection and Multi Port Fuel Injection are two different things, and just upgrading stock poppet valve/injector to the Multec 2 setup does not do this..
    08 HHR LS - 2.2 | 5 speed | 30 MPG

98 K1500 Z71 - 204k | L31 | 60E | 3.73's | 3" BL | 33x12.5x15 Dick Cepek F-C II's | Dynomax Ultra Flo X DI/DO | 14 MPG

84 S15 Jimmy 2dr 4x4 - engine/tranny all rebuilt

'99 Tahoe - Whitey
    '03 Tahoe - Blackey

would it fix the problem if i just replace the computer that controls the fuel injectors?

Quote Originally Posted by Z71Countryboy
    would it fix the problem if i just replace the computer that controls the fuel injectors?
    no, the injectors themselves go bad over time. If indeed the injectors themselves are bad, you will have to replace the assembly. Is the truck throwing any codes?

98 K1500 Z71 - 204k | L31 | 60E | 3.73's | 3" BL | 33x12.5x15 Dick Cepek F-C II's | Dynomax Ultra Flo X DI/DO | 14 MPG

It's really not a MPFI conversion, but the injector configuration makes me think more of MPFI.
    Last edited by masintenn; 12-11-2006 at 07:37 PM.

96 chevy sub LT

well i know what you are go though. i had the the same problem with my 96 . what had happen was the pop it valves in my injector were stuck . my mech took my injector apart and cleand each pop it valve . he soked each tail in cleaner then hooked up to a compresser and made shore that they sprayed right . he only had to change one valve in the end . the cleaning ran for about 350 . you can try to hook up to a injector cleaning system first . see what happens . if not well you can come to long island and see my mech . hope this helps .

Beauty & Horsepower! SilveradoSexy's Avatar

I had a similar setup on my last vehicle, it was 96 blazer. the I had the same problem you are having, the feul spider had developed or degraded to were it was leaking feul all inside the plenum. The exhaust smelled like raw feul. I believe I got my parts at advance for half the price. I think around $500. I know it's not the exact setup you have but may give you an idea.

'03 SS AWD 6.0L Radix 112 S/C w/ 3" pulley

Just did this job on one of our trucks, a 97 Chevy C1500 5.0.
    Had to replace all 8 injectors and the pressure regulator. Advance Auto had the injectors for $70 ea, and the regulator was $60. Upper pleneum seal set was $40. Took about 7 Hours total, from drive into the garage to drive out. Includeing changing the plugs and cleaning the Throttle body. Wasn't all that hard to do.
    Last edited by mjwhoopie; 12-13-2006 at 01:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mjwhoopie
    Just did this job on one of our trucks, a 97 Chevy C1500 5.0.
    Had to replace all 8 injectors and the pressure regulator. Advance Auto had the injectors for $70 ea, and the regulator was $60. Upper pleneum seal set was $40. Took about 7 Hours total, from drive into the garage to drive out. Includeing changing the plugs and cleaning the Throttle body. Wasn't all that hard to do.
    You replaced the stock poppet valves with new poppet valves? Did you have to pay for this out of your pocket?

8 injectors x $70 ea = $560
    regulator = $60
    TOTAL COST = $620

gmpartsdirect.com

The whole new assembly with Multec 2 injectors, which includes the regulator = $225

Advance Auto kinda sucks at this point...

My 96 5.7L is running like crap. rough idle and it stumbles when you put the gas to it. The more load on the engine the worse it is. No codes are being thrown, and there is a gas smell to the exhaust.
    Could the injector spider be my problem too?

Beauty & Horsepower! SilveradoSexy's Avatar

Could be, sounds like what I having.

'03 SS AWD 6.0L Radix 112 S/C w/ 3" pulley

I installed the new spider injection system for about $360 total including gaskets. You can get the system & gaskets onEbay sometimes. Or you can order from GMPartsdirect.com
    '96 K1500 Ext. Cab, 5.7 w/Upgraded Spider Injectors, S&B CAI, 6" RCD, Flipped BJ's, 35" BFG M/T's On Ultra Xtreme's, Yukon 4.56's & True-Trac, Dual Flow 40's, Wet Okoles, Line-Xhttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/1281046/1 Sig By alphaecho4386

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyboy96 View Post
    I installed the new spider injection system for about $360 total including gaskets. You can get the system & gaskets onEbay sometimes. Or you can order from GMPartsdirect.com
    I'm about to replace my spider injectors on a replacement engine I'm going to install in my 96 C/K1500. I got the upgraded kit also.But I have a question? when I removed the upper intake I found a small black O-ring sitting by one of the intake bolt holes and now I not sure were it came from.Is there any spot under the upper intake that has a o-ring.Any help would be awsome I really don't want to go forward with this without resolving this issue.Thanks Ray