***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Edelbrock IAS shocks and Bilstein HD Shocks comparison

This is a discussion on Edelbrock IAS shocks and Bilstein HD Shocks comparison within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; When I first bought my truck new (2005 ECSB 2WD)to improve handling I looked into the Edelbrock IAS shocks and ...

Edelbrock IAS shocks and Bilstein HD Shocks comparison

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    When I first bought my truck new (2005 ECSB 2WD)to improve handling I looked into the Edelbrock IAS shocks and Bilstein HD Shocks. Both very reputable companies with good quality products. I read positive and negative reviews on both the Edelbrock IAS shocks and Bilstein HD shocks from different truck(2WD and 4 WD) owners from Ford, Dodge, Chevy and etc. Both shocks were praised for better handling and performance compared to stock shocks. Some Negative reviews said that the Edelbrock IAS shocks were TOO FIRM and produced a "jarring ride" and that IAS shocks when first introduced(sorry dont know date) originally had issues with leaking. Some Negative reviews on the Bilstein HD shocks said that it was TOO SOFT. I could not find anything Negative on Quality issues with the Bilstein HD shocks. Many reviewers mentioned what vehicles the Edelbrock IAS shocks and Bilstein HD shocks were installed on but most failed to mention what setup they were running for example, wheel size, tire size, Suspension drops/lifts and modifications if any, 2WD or 4WD and Part numbers of the shocks. Also some reviewers were writing reviews for the wrong Bilstein shocks. Bilstein makes COMFORT and HEAVY DUTY(HD) shocks. HD shocks are valved differently than COMFORT shocks.

Having said that I installed Bilstein HD shocks for the FRONT Part Number F4-BE5-2902-H0 (Made in Germany:stamped on the Box) and Edelbrock IAS shocks for the REAR Part Number 34010. It has now been 50,000 miles with them on my stock 2005 ECSB 2WD with 17 inch factory wheels and 275/60/17 tires with no suspension modifications driven as a daily driver in Los Angeles freeways and streets. Last week, I replaced the front Bilstein HD's with Edebrock IAS shocks Part number 33010. While there is no difference in ride quality on smooth roads going straight, there is a significant noticeable difference in cornering and twisty roads. The Edelbrocks take the corners with much better control than the Bilsteins. Body roll is minimized over Bilstein. Going in/out of driveways and speed bumps is very much improved over the Bilstein HD's. On rough roads and freeway expansion joints they are almost identical. With either shocks if you hit a pothole, you will definitely feel it because they are both stiffer shocks than stock. However, Edelbrock IAS shocks are a bit more stiffer than the Bilstein HD's and because of that, you feel more of the JOLT going over the pothole. This maybe why people say that it is "jarring?" Having tried both front shocks from Bilstein and Edelbrock, everything being equal the only advantage of Edelbrock over the Bilstein is in cornering, twisty roads and minimized/reduced body roll and improved control. Ride quality is about the same. Both Bilsteins and Edelbrocks are MUCH BETTER over stock Tenneco shocks. Had I had to do it all over again from the beginning, I would go with Edelbrocks over the Bilsteins. But you really can't go wrong with either of these
    shocks. They are both great shocks.
    2005 Silverado ECSB LQ9 4.10
    Black Bear Performance Tune
    Circle D 2800 Converter
    Shift Kit and Vette Servo
    Eaton Detroit Truetrac LSD
    Eibach Pro Truck System
    Hellwig Front and Rear Swaybar
    Caltracs
    Edelbrock IAS shocks
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Tru cool 40k

Re: Edelbrock IAS shocks and Bilstein HD Shocks comparison

Thanks for hte good insight i have been thinking about purchasing Edlebrocks for my truck.

great review
    1989 Silverado Project // 2013 GMC Sierra

Edelbrock IAS shocks Update after one year.

I now have 90,000 miles on the truck with the Edelbrock IAS Shocks. Of which 40,000 miles was in conjunction with Eibach Pro Truck System. They work as a good combination. Firm but not too harsh, but not too soft either. Perfect for daily driving in Los Angeles Freeways and streets. During install of the Eibach Pro Truck System, a torn polyurethane bushing was found on the left shock(bushing only, the shock was fine). I called Edelbrock and explained about the torn polyurethane bushing. Edelbrock has great customer service. They not only sent me a replacement bushing, but sent me a whole set of polyurethane bushings and washers free of charge.

To this day the IAS shocks are holding up very well. Great overall handling. One thing I will say is that when you hit a good size pothole, make no mistake, YOU WILL DEFINITELY FEEL THE JOLT throughout your truck and your spine as you will with any other shocks, but the JOLT will be greater than other shocks because it is a stiffer shock.
    2005 Silverado ECSB LQ9 4.10
    Black Bear Performance Tune
    Circle D 2800 Converter
    Shift Kit and Vette Servo
    Eaton Detroit Truetrac LSD
    Eibach Pro Truck System
    Hellwig Front and Rear Swaybar
    Caltracs
    Edelbrock IAS shocks
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Tru cool 40k

wtd

Nice review but one thing I have a problem with is that you are comparing a brand new Edelbrock shock to a 50,000 mile Bilstein shock. I would expect the Edelbrock one to do better.

I currently have the Bilstein HD's on my 98 Z71 and they have been on the truck for about 70,000 miles. While they seem to ride the same on straight roads, they don't seem to corner as well as they did when they were new.

I looked into the Edelbrocks when I was looking at new shocks, but at the time, Edelbrock was having some issues with leaks and I decided not to get them. I may try them in the future though.

I know one thing, the Bilstein HD's are IMO, a lot better shock than the original Bilstein comfort ride shocks that my truck came with.

Wayne
    98 ext-cab Z-71 5.7L/4L60E/10 bolt/3.73 locking diff
    Borla duel rear exit exhaust, HD bilstein shocks LT265/75R16 Michelin LTX A/T tires

98 reg cab long bed K3500 4x4 7.4L/4L80E/14 bolt FF/4.10 locking diff. Flowmaster Cat-back, LT245/75/16 Michelin LTX M/S tires.

good review..... I have been contemplating getting the IAS for my truck..... I think i will now.