***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

felpro intake gasket rear water passage blocked? HELP!

This is a discussion on felpro intake gasket rear water passage blocked? HELP! within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I recently replaced, make that re-replaced, intake gaskets on '88 305 TBI. First time was while relacing head gaskets about ...

felpro intake gasket rear water passage blocked? HELP!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I recently replaced, make that re-replaced, intake gaskets on '88 305 TBI.
    First time was while relacing head gaskets about six months ago.
    Re-replaced head gaskets a few weeks ago with felpro set, (didn't check the number, box is gone, trusted the guy at the counter) and noticed that the right rear water passage was blocked on the gasket. Seemed strange, probably should have stopped there, but already set to go on.
    About a week ago, I noticed water on top of the manifold at the thermostat. Then a little oil towards the rear of the intake. Also running a bit rough. I never noticed the over heat, but it must have happened-? There was a LOT of pressure at the upper hose, so I double clamped it to stop the leak... btw, new t'stat, radiator, water pump, heater core, upper and lower hoses, and coolant, since head gaskets.
    I re-torqued the intake bolts and the problem is gone, for now.
    Anybody think I fixed it with the re-torque? No oil in water, or vice versa, near as I can tell.
    Also;
    What is the deal with the plugged water passage? Is that what CAUSED the problem???

I realized too late that I have an extra set of gaskets I bought for my Firebird, which don't have the block, and I'm putting them on tomorrow... unless I can figure a way to avoid it!

Re: felpro intake gasket rear water passage blocked? HELP!

Was it plugged or did it have a small hole in it? It should have had a small hole. The reason is that if the hole is full size, water moves through the head too quickly, keeping it from picking up heat and overheating the engine. I replaced mine in may and they had a small hole at the rear side, its been running fine.

I think the oil at the rear of the intake may be from the oil sensor which is located in that general area...

Is it possible you put the gasket on backwards? Correct me if im wrong, but doesn't the block have water jacket ports at each corner but the intake itself has holes on only 2 corners?
    08 HHR LS - 2.2 | 5 speed | 30 MPG

98 K1500 Z71 - 204k | L31 | 60E | 3.73's | 3" BL | 33x12.5x15 Dick Cepek F-C II's | Dynomax Ultra Flo X DI/DO | 14 MPG

84 S15 Jimmy 2dr 4x4 - engine/tranny all rebuilt

The rear ports on the intake gaskets for TBI trucks should be blocked(with a small hole in the center). If you intall the earlier style(carb)intake gaskets, you will run hot.
    '08 Silverado ECSB

Whifflebat, No hole, not even a pin hole. The square port was imprinted, but not perforated, so I couldn't have just pushed it out, as I tried. I need to recheck the oil sensor, thanks for the tip!
    Like I said, though, the problem seems to be pressure, no overheating that I've seen. Do you think the closed port is too severe for the system? It really wants to blow the upper hose off. After I "double clamped", the coolant was seeping through the thermostat gasket!!! (it is SOAKED with coolant)
    98greenmachine, gaskets were clearly marked as to "up", "front", "left/right"; no chance of mis-placement. My intake is different than yours (I've been watching your 'nightmare' thread) and looks like the pic in #15, here:
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/...+water+passage
    Ports at all four corners.
    Jake Wade, never had it run hot with the 'old' style gaskets as the cause. I've read that this was the reason for the restricted port, but to completely close it off??? Wouldn't that cause it to back up and just heat more? (like a pressure-cooker)
    The gaskets from the Firebird (now gone, wife rolled it) are the '89 TBI (one year newer, and roller), and all four ports are open.
    More info... after I posted this thread, I remembered that I made a huge blunder. The permatex #2 I used on the first install was still fresh, so I just wiped the bolts with a rag, then put a few drops of blue threadlocker on each. (It was late, couldn't find the permatex, work in the morning, etc.) I also used RTV GRAY instead of black, doing the install...
    ?
    Does anybody think I can drain the coolant down, re-goop the bolts, re-torque, and get away with it? I doubt I'll even try it, I want to swap the gaskets, but not if the open ones are worse!
    BTW, thanks for sticking with me and my long threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyenne'88
    98greenmachine, gaskets were clearly marked as to "up", "front", "left/right"; no chance of mis-placement. My intake is different than yours (I've been watching your 'nightmare' thread) and looks like the pic in #15, here:
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/...+water+passage
    Ports at all four corners.
    Yes I know you have the TBI intake, your gaskets should look like this (notice the small hole):

Fel-Pro Part# FEL-MS93317
    Last edited by 98GreenMachine; 12-29-2006 at 08:40 AM.

98 K1500 Z71 - 204k | L31 | 60E | 3.73's | 3" BL | 33x12.5x15 Dick Cepek F-C II's | Dynomax Ultra Flo X DI/DO | 14 MPG

Yep, those are what I would expect for a set that would restrict the water flow, too.
    IIRC, mine only had one port blocked, right rear, and it was completely blocked.
    I've been trying to find a picture, but I don't have a number.
    Right now, I'm cleaning up a "spare" intake, so I can do the swap, but the gaskets I have are "Detroit", or GM, I don't know which, and the holes are wide open... and I don't want to do this again until I'm ready for cam/timing chain, so I want the correct gasket. At least it'll narrow down the cause of the "over-pressure".
    I'm really hesitant, as right now, this is the "family car", and down-time is not an option. Otherwise, it would have been at least started by now! LOL
    I just want to make sure I have the right gasket in there. I can't figure why I have all this pressure, with no overheat.
    I might take a trip to advance to see if I can find out what they sold me, maybe with a number, I can find out why the gaskets are configured this way.

Well those ones I posted are $22 on summitracing.com, and as far as I can tell are the correct ones for a 88 305 TBI. If yours had one port completely blocked off and the other side wide open, then something is wrong..This is why I hate most local parts stores. You have to rely on the dude behind the counter to "know" whats best, which doesn't seem to be the case here

Yeah, I think I'm going to wait, try the re-torque again if I have to, and get the other intake completely ready for the swap.
    I also have a spare tbi unit that I can rebuild in the meantime.
    It really did seem strange that the one hole was closed. I bet it was just quality control that messed up. Maybe the machine pressing out the holes was messed up and nobody caught it.

I (at the time) figured the block was to increase the heat, cuz it is right there by the heater hose. I'm also thinking that this is causing a flow problem, limiting my heat and building pressure to the point of breakage.
    Scary to drive it this way, but I don't want to do it again twice more, and it isn't overheating as it is.