***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

2001 5.3L Chevy Suburban belt/pully squeak

This is a discussion on 2001 5.3L Chevy Suburban belt/pully squeak within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Alright, I'm stumped! I replaced the following: - main serpentine drive belt and tensioner - secondary belt (A/C)and tensioner - ...

2001 5.3L Chevy Suburban belt/pully squeak

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Alright, I'm stumped!
    I replaced the following:
    - main serpentine drive belt and tensioner
    - secondary belt (A/C)and tensioner
    - idler pulley

Done all this and I still have an annoying @ss squeak/squeal. I have ruled out the A/C compressor pully as I removed the A/C belt and the squeak still occurs. The only things left are alternator which is brand new from NAPA and I have checked the tightness of the pulley. The power steering pulley and it appears to be fine as well as the fan clutch.
    The crankshaft pulley seems to be where the squeak is coming from but I don't know why or what needs to be done to fix it.The squeak is the same as before I replaced the belts and doesn't occur all the time. It is getting more frequent. One other thing I thought of was the water pump but it is dry as a bone all around and no visuals of any leakage at all.
    Any suggestions, experiences similar to this?
    Thanks in advance!!

Brian

Re: 2001 5.3L Chevy Suburban belt/pully squeak

my wifes 01 burb does the same thing, it can get really annoying when she keeps saying the "car" (ugh!) keeps making that squealing noise...I have sprayed it with a lil belt dressing and that seems to help for a while....then she starts squealing again.....lol
    try picking up a can of belt dressing and spray the serpentine belt. unless you know what your doing under the hood spray the belt with the engine off. If you do it with the engine running you risk injury.

02 SILVERADO mine/01 SUBURBAN hers

Quote Originally Posted by WingsAA View Post
    Alright, I'm stumped!
    I replaced the following:
    - main serpentine drive belt and tensioner
    - secondary belt (A/C)and tensioner
    - idler pulley

Done all this and I still have an annoying @ss squeak/squeal. I have ruled out the A/C compressor pully as I removed the A/C belt and the squeak still occurs. The only things left are alternator which is brand new from NAPA and I have checked the tightness of the pulley. The power steering pulley and it appears to be fine as well as the fan clutch.
    The crankshaft pulley seems to be where the squeak is coming from but I don't know why or what needs to be done to fix it.The squeak is the same as before I replaced the belts and doesn't occur all the time. It is getting more frequent. One other thing I thought of was the water pump but it is dry as a bone all around and no visuals of any leakage at all.
    Any suggestions, experiences similar to this?
    Thanks in advance!!

Brian
    I am in this exact same situation. Where you ever able to trace the source of the noise? thanks.

Look at the power steering pump the shaft and pulley should be even . The ps pulley usually is on to far so pump shaft is sticking out 1/4 inch or so pull pulley out and your problem is solved

The crank pulley on my dads 94 4.3 had a slight wobble to it. Very slight, but enough to cause a squeak. Look at your crank very carefully as it spins and see if it wobbles.
    08 HHR LS - 2.2 | 5 speed | 30 MPG

98 K1500 Z71 - 204k | L31 | 60E | 3.73's | 3" BL | 33x12.5x15 Dick Cepek F-C II's | Dynomax Ultra Flo X DI/DO | 14 MPG

84 S15 Jimmy 2dr 4x4 - engine/tranny all rebuilt

take a spray bottle of water an spray water onto belt if noise stops you know which belt is causing the problem

i would not put belt dressing on belt as it will collect dirt and then it will make noise.

have you cleaned the pulleys, they can build up a film that will make a noise.

are you using a gates or gaterback belt, other cheap belts will soon make noise.

of course your pulleys must be in correct align.

let us know what you find that fixes the problem.

normally on my old 350 i get about 30K miles and then the gates belt starts talking so i just put on a new gates and noise is gone.

Going to try a better belt today. Can't find Gatorbacks anywhere. The shiny ones from the auto parts stores though suck.

i am tellin you check your power steering pulley should be flat with shaft of pump if not that is your squeak or a water pump starting to wear out and lean

Quote Originally Posted by Anthoney456 View Post
    i am tellin you check your power steering pulley should be flat with shaft of pump if not that is your squeak or a water pump starting to wear out and lean
    I'm listening to you! Hey, I did have my power steering replaced by a yahoo and the pulley is not even but the shaft is actually back in the pulley by about 1/8" or slightly more. Do you think this would cause the alternator to whine also? I can spin the alternator and hear it whine but a new one didn't correct the problem. Out of alignment?