***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Testing TBI coil??

This is a discussion on Testing TBI coil?? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; How do I test my ignition coil to see if it is good or junk....

Testing TBI coil??

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    How do I test my ignition coil to see if it is good or junk.

Original Gold Member 97Silverado's Avatar

Re: Testing TBI coil??

This testing procedure is valid for just about any automotive coil. Using an ohmmeter, check the resistance between the side terminals of the coil. Do this with all of the wires to the coil disconnected. You should see 0.75 to 0.81 ohm of resistance. Then check the resistance between either side terminal and the center high tension terminal. The reading should be 10,000 to 11,000 ohms. Any significant deviation from these numbers would indicate that the coil is defective.

Last edited by 97Silverado; 01-26-2007 at 10:26 AM.

Much like alcohol, tobacco, and voting there should be an age requirement for computer usage.
    "Drag racing helps me get rid of all my extra cash."
    Team credit card holder and crew chief - "Hot Rod" Heather JD4193 & Holly "Wood" JD4145

Quote Originally Posted by 97Silverado
    This testing procedure is valid for just about any automotive coil. Using an ohmmeter, check the resistance between the side terminals of the coil. Do this with all of the wires to the coil disconnected. You should see 0.75 to 0.81 ohm of resistance. Then check the resistance between either side terminal and the center high tension terminal. The reading should be 10,000 to 11,000 ohms. Any significant deviation from these numbers would indicate that the coil is defective.

umm i could be wrong, but that isnt the coil he has. there is a way to test the coil but i don't know how to post it here. there is a procedure in the haynes manual tho.

That may not look exactly the same as the coil he has but pretty much all coils have the pos, and neg terminals and the coil wire plug.

I looked at mine today when I did my cap and rotor. Its got the main high tension lug, and then 4 other terminals. Looking from the front of the truck, theres a pair on the left that goes to the distributor, those aren't the wires you're looking for. The terminals you want are on the right side, whose wires disappear in to the loom. Those are the 2 side lugs marked on the drawing above. I checked my coil and I got about 9kohms between the big lug and a side lug, and about .67 between the two little ones. A little bit out of spec but it runs great...
    Last edited by Whifflebat; 01-27-2007 at 03:31 PM.
    Rest in Peace Jason Payne

autozone has the procedure go here:http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d80085d3a.jsp
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

Will this tell me if it is weak or just bad?

it will tell you to replace it if its not within specs.
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r