If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Converting from Dex-Cool to green?

This is a discussion on Converting from Dex-Cool to green? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Are there any reasons you can't flush the system and start using regular anti freeze in a system that was ...

Converting from Dex-Cool to green?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Are there any reasons you can't flush the system and start using regular anti freeze in a system that was using Dex-cool? Even if it has a sticker that says use Dex-cool only?

Re: Converting from Dex-Cool to green?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce_B
    Are there any reasons you can't flush the system and start using regular anti freeze in a system that was using Dex-cool? Even if it has a sticker that says use Dex-cool only?
    I believe that dex-cool is supposed to be anti-corrosive which is good when it is passing through aluminum parts. I'd keep with the dex-cool and just make sure your system is full.

-Rich

05 GTO upgrade.

As long as you force flush the system it will be fine.
    1991 C1500 Ext. Scrapped. I still have the engine, tranny and Detroit tru-trac.
    2005 GTO LS2 with full Pedders track II suspension. StreetsweeperHT cam with Kooks exhaust. Tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by TITANIUM
    As long as you force flush the system it will be fine.
    Thanks. Would it be enough to drain it, fill with plain water, run it up to temp with the heater on, reapeat a few times, and then go to regular anti freeze?

05 GTO upgrade.

Thanks. Would it be enough to drain it, fill with plain water, run it up to temp with the heater on, reapeat a few times, and then go to regular anti freeze?
    Yep. As long as what is coming out is clean water.
    1991 C1500 Ext. Scrapped. I still have the engine, tranny and Detroit tru-trac.
    2005 GTO LS2 with full Pedders track II suspension. StreetsweeperHT cam with Kooks exhaust. Tuned.

does changing void a warranty if warranty is still in effect?

Get in sit down hang on. SolMan98's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mavericki8r
    does changing void a warranty if warranty is still in effect?
    Probably. You change the coolant to a non specified coolant. Why would they cover it.

Keep the dex.

D/D-2006 HHR 1LT 5-Speed.
    1996 Silverado, 5.7, FIPKII, Elect Fans, S/S Headers, Duals, Wait4Me, 4/5 drop on 18" Weld Evo Velosity's. STOLEN ON 9/9/2006

Original Gold Member 97Silverado's Avatar

There is no valid reason to switch from Dex to green.

Much like alcohol, tobacco, and voting there should be an age requirement for computer usage.
    "Drag racing helps me get rid of all my extra cash."
    Team credit card holder and crew chief - "Hot Rod" Heather JD4193 & Holly "Wood" JD4145

Compromise -- go yellow!

Why do you want to swap back to an inferior product?

If I were going to make any change I would look and changing to Caterpillar ELC or Cummins Coolant as it is some of the best stuff out there. http://www.cat.com/cda/files/165927/7/PEHJ0067.pdf The newer coolants like the dex-cool and other extended life coolants are designed and ph balanced for Aluminum engine components. Not to mention a lot of the better coolants don't contain any silicates in them so sludge and hard water calcification in the radiator are eliminated. In the long run you won't be saving any money by swapping back to the old standard antifreeze.

And you can bet your boots that if you don't run a antifreeze that at least meets the minimum standards of the manufactures recommended coolant that you will not be covered by warranty if a problem should arise.

Nathan<><

I Hate You All, Equally.

Talking Re: Converting from Dex-Cool to green?

i switched to green because dex cool is too expensive and i heard that dex cool may lead to intake manifold gasket and water pump failure. on my 98 sierra i encountered both expensive problems and i feel that i am not losing any cooling performance due to it. in my town of goose bay labrador the temp. ranges from 30-45 degrees celsius. to -40 to -60 in the winter (like the last few weeks. and i have yet to see a downside. thats just me though. piece of mind matters more i think than scientific data.

dex cool eats intake gaskets period!

The only time that Dex Cool runs into problems is when you don't flush it regularly (every two-three years)and monitor the acid/PH of it. I know it says its good up until 150,000 miles, but what you really have to check is the acid/PH factor of it as it ages. Alot of times the acidity of the coolent gets compromised and people do not realize that the 150,000 is a BEST Case senerio.
    Its funny how the same people will be religous about changing their motor oil at 3,000 miles but not think about the other fluids in their cars/trucks.
    So in my case I have always flushed my system every two years and used some DEX Cool, distilled water and water wetter. When I took my 95 Camaro LT1 apart at 114,000 miles, the block and heads were clean like brand new. There was NO rust or "gunk" in the water passages at all. Its pretty easy to flush your system at home. All I did was to get the prestone flush kit and flowed the instructions and was good to go. Just my two cents!
    2001 Burban 3/4 ton-SOLD
    68 Camaro (still building)
    95 Camaro Supercharged and other stuff-SOLD
    2006 2500HD Silverado LS ExtCab 2WD 6.0L

Quote Originally Posted by 97Silverado
    There is no valid reason to switch from Dex to green.
    Take apart a few motors that have ran dex their whole life and take particular not of water pump and intake gaskets. 'Nuff said.

Just finished swapping over my Saturn while getting my truck to start running.

Flushed the system using garden hose water about 4-5 times. Still have this feeling that I need to replace the heater core, it's marginal at best...

Anywhose, it's cheaper, more widely available, lets gaskets remain pliable, and still protects iron/steel/aluminum just as well.

For you folks with dexcool, get a multi-meter, and put the negative lead on the negative post of the battery, and the positive inside of teh coolant resivior (or radiator if that's closer).

.2-.5v reading means it's good
    .5v-.7 is borderline
    .7 and greater means replace it asap.
    Campus policies left students shooting back with camera phones. Life's worth more than pictures. www.ConcealedCampus.com

Quote Originally Posted by frank88chevy
    dex cool eats intake gaskets period!
    great info there, care to elaborate how you came to that conclusion?
    08 HHR LS - 2.2 | 5 speed | 30 MPG

98 K1500 Z71 - 204k | L31 | 60E | 3.73's | 3" BL | 33x12.5x15 Dick Cepek F-C II's | Dynomax Ultra Flo X DI/DO | 14 MPG

84 S15 Jimmy 2dr 4x4 - engine/tranny all rebuilt

I Hate You All, Equally.

Quote Originally Posted by 98GreenMachine
    great info there, care to elaborate how you came to that conclusion?
    found a link on this very site on the ad bar up there referring to a pending class action lawsuit regarding dex-cool. so don't judge me, judge the site if you want to but i am not taking the chance. i've never heard of green coolant eating up water pumps and intake gaskets cuz i have used it in my 97 civic,caprice, cavalier (which was all ****ed except the cooling system) and my diesel jimmy, my dads 86 chevy. never had one problem.

Dex is fine if properly maintained...i've seen how some people take care of their vehicles so it doesn't surprise me that there's complaints about it.

A lawsuit doesn't mean anything...people sue now-a-days for spilling their own coffe on their laps at Mcdonalds. No one wants to take the consequences for their own actions...including lack of maintenance and it pisses me off.

Quote Originally Posted by StepsideLM7
    Dex is fine if properly maintained...i've seen how some people take care of their vehicles so it doesn't surprise me that there's complaints about it.

A lawsuit doesn't mean anything...people sue now-a-days for spilling their own coffe on their laps at Mcdonalds. No one wants to take the consequences for their own actions...including lack of maintenance and it pisses me off.

I fully agree. Before anybody makes a judgement on Dex-cool. Go and take a motor apart that has had only Dex-cool running thru it. Quit reading all these internet horror stories and making assumptions without even seeing the true results if used properly.

When I replaced my 98 350 with a 383 I did just that and the coolant passages are very clean. Dex-cool doesn't eat anything. However you must make sure that there is not air in the system otherwise it does create a crusty substance and get thick. i.e. make sure your coolant recovery tank is full and you don't have any leaks.

There is a problem when people do not maintain their vehicles and then want to blame someone for it. Now the vortec motors DID have an intake gasket quality problem which leads to them requireing to be replaced usually prior to 80,000 miles. However Dex-cool didn't eat them. The gaskets were faulty.

I believe more people nowadays know how to maintain their computers better than their cars.

2006 Chevy LBZ/Allison CCSB
    69 Nova: 3480 lbs Full interior with bench seat, 406, Jerico DR4 10.22 @ 130.45 mph

Quote Originally Posted by Koots
    found a link on this very site on the ad bar up there referring to a pending class action lawsuit regarding dex-cool. so don't judge me, judge the site if you want to but i am not taking the chance. i've never heard of green coolant eating up water pumps and intake gaskets cuz i have used it in my 97 civic,caprice, cavalier (which was all ****ed except the cooling system) and my diesel jimmy, my dads 86 chevy. never had one problem.
    My comment wasn't even directed at you pal, so don't fire off some lame excuses why standard coolant works for you in all your vehicles that don't use Dex-Cool to begin with. Dex-Cool is a superior product to standard coolant, but like anything on your vehicle, it has to be maintained.
    08 HHR LS - 2.2 | 5 speed | 30 MPG

98 K1500 Z71 - 204k | L31 | 60E | 3.73's | 3" BL | 33x12.5x15 Dick Cepek F-C II's | Dynomax Ultra Flo X DI/DO | 14 MPG

84 S15 Jimmy 2dr 4x4 - engine/tranny all rebuilt

Original Gold Member 97Silverado's Avatar

Here we go again.....

Much like alcohol, tobacco, and voting there should be an age requirement for computer usage.
    "Drag racing helps me get rid of all my extra cash."
    Team credit card holder and crew chief - "Hot Rod" Heather JD4193 & Holly "Wood" JD4145

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast