If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

rotor removal 83 k10 4x4

This is a discussion on rotor removal 83 k10 4x4 within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; does any body feel like telling me how to remove my rotors from my 83 4x4? i just bought this ...

Thumbs down rotor removal 83 k10 4x4

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    does any body feel like telling me how to remove my rotors
    from my 83 4x4? i just bought this truck and discovered that the r/s caliper has locked up and fubar'd my rotor. the parts i have located are pretty cheap(new caliper, rotor, pads). i have the tools and the time just not the know how. i have searched and found out a few things but nothing too helpful. btw it is a 1/2 ton w/ 6 bolt pattern. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: rotor removal 83 k10 4x4

From memory... take off allen screws from locking hub.
    Pull locking hub off. you will need an axle socket with four prongs.
    most parts stores rent a kit for this. take off the threaded washer, c-clip, spring, and the following threaded washer.
    I don't remember exactly how the housing for these pieces comes off... but you should be able to pull the rotor off after that.
    Granted you've already got the caliper loose and out of the way.
    It's been four yrs since I had to do it, so like i said it's by memory.
    97 Gmc 4x4 350 True duals w/glasspacks
    K&N

I'm curious like a cat... thats why my friends call me whiskers.

Liberals kill babies, Conservatives kill Terrorists.

do you know how to remove the rotor from the hub, it looks like it may even be one piece. i think i may need a special puller to seperate the two of them.

allright i got it figured out. it is pretty simple on my 83. 6 allen bolts to remove the lockout switch. remove the split ring from the groove in the hub, and you will be able to remove the lockout gear. it will slide right of the spindle. behind this is a round nut w/ 4 notches in it. you can buy a special socket for this nut or try to make one like i did. my tool worked for the outer hub nut, but since i was unaware that there was an inner one, my homemade wrench was not deep enough.
    so off to the parts store to buy the socket.(not bad @ $22) behind the first hub nut is a washer that is a pain in the ass to remove. once you use the tool to remove the second hub nut the hub and rotor assembly will slide off the spindle. in order to seperate the hub from the rotor put a lug nut on the studs and pound them out. once they are all remove, save for some rust, the two will seperate. reverse this for install. i used a lug nut and washers to pull the studs back in. any better ideas how to do this?