If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Cracked exhaust manifold, to weld or replace?

This is a discussion on Cracked exhaust manifold, to weld or replace? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have a 91 Chevy k2500 with a 305. The exhaust manifold has a crack just above the 02 sensor. ...

Cracked exhaust manifold, to weld or replace?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have a 91 Chevy k2500 with a 305. The exhaust manifold has a crack just above the 02 sensor. Can I weld this? If so what would you recommend I use as far as mig/stick - rods/wire go?

If it can't be welded what do you recommend for a replacement? Are their any bolt in headers that are worthwhile or should I just get another manifold?
    http://store.summitracing.com/partde...138+4294918680
    Is that a decent header?
    Last edited by RiceKill; 03-05-2007 at 04:01 PM.

Re: Cracked exhaust manifold, to weld or replace?

These are better.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I run the ceramic coated version 2462 1HKR.
    peace
    Hog
    97 GMC 2wd RCSB 5.7, s10 2700 footstall, Hooker 24621hkr LT's , 2.5" cats dual 4"pipes exit B4 pass. side tire, custom driveshaft 3.42 G80 FIPK MAF descreen GM/Mercruiser Marine intake manifold 29lb LS2(EV6) injectors Ed Wright PCM(best mod), LT4 KM 14.8@94mph 2.007 4000lbs 122mph

Bagged & Bodydropped

Man, I hear its almost impossable to weld those cast iron exhaust manifolds... you are better off getting headers...

And the ones you posted are the same ones I ordered... I recieved Pacestetter headers, they perform really great... I also added a 3 inch Magnaflow cat and got rid of my Flowmaster for a 3 inch Magnaflow muffler

California vehicle code, sections 27156 AND 38391, prohibits the advertising, offering for sale, or installation of any device, which modifies a vehicle’s emission control system, unless exempted, unless otherwise noted. HOOKER Headers have not received an exemption from these code sections and are to legal for sale or use in California on vehicles originally equipped with catalytic converters, it is illegal, except for racing vehicles, which may never be driven upon a highway. To remove or otherwise render inoperative any emission control device on the regulated motor vehicles – check catalog listings to ensure proper application in the other 49 states, unless otherwise noted, HOOKER Headers are not legal for pollution-controlled motor vehicles, except for racing vehicles, which may never be used upon a highway and are not intended or applicable for highway use.

What's everyones opinion on this?

Quote Originally Posted by CChase
    California vehicle code, sections 27156 AND 38391, prohibits the advertising, offering for sale, or installation of any device, which modifies a vehicle’s emission control system, unless exempted, unless otherwise noted. HOOKER Headers have not received an exemption from these code sections and are to legal for sale or use in California on vehicles originally equipped with catalytic converters, it is illegal, except for racing vehicles, which may never be driven upon a highway. To remove or otherwise render inoperative any emission control device on the regulated motor vehicles – check catalog listings to ensure proper application in the other 49 states, unless otherwise noted, HOOKER Headers are not legal for pollution-controlled motor vehicles, except for racing vehicles, which may never be used upon a highway and are not intended or applicable for highway use.

What's everyones opinion on this?
    Basically anywhere besides California you can put whatever headers you want on so long as you retain all the emissions equipment (air system, cat, o2 sensor, etc). That is unless you get some real jerk of an inspector.

I welded my exhaust manifold on my old jeep wrangler and it held up for about 3 or 4 months then then i just put a new one on it.

2004 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 z71 extb cab 5.3
    sport red mattalic 20x9.5 Helo wheel's Billet
    grille Flowmaster dual's and K&N drop in filter.

Wife came out of the food store last summer to three state-boys pulled up around my truck , her first thought was aw chit what now! She walks over to the truck and they ask her to start it. She does and they start asking where did you get that exhaust and those wheels and tires and where can I get a hood like that . Took her 15mins. to get out of there and it's the loudest , no emissions truck in the county.
    Last edited by sharp94; 03-06-2007 at 01:03 AM.

Hmm... what about states that have adopted the Cali standard? I thought MA had done that too or something?

I'm looking into headers still, and can't figure out what's legal and what's not... not to sidetrack the thread, but it might still be relevant if it needs to be legal.

Habitual Troublemaker cancritter's Avatar

JB weld for a quick fix...
    [Stole/FOUND 13/03/08 :O)
    91GM 4x4 excb 5.7 @ 40 over, Westers,Eld 3704.Lunati Trickflow 195 @1.6 RR,Walpro 190/overbuilt 700r4 /TCS TC,4.10/tru trac,14 blt,Hooker LT,areofilter,Extreme TBI.MSD.AGR still adding
    07/ 6.7 Cummins..truck included
    70 fury 3
    71 sport fury GT

http://www.pacesetterexhaust.com/shorty_headers.php

Pacesetter has got a set for your application that are "50-states legal, C.A.R.B. E.O. #D-439-6 "

Ontario has fairly strict emission laws, but nothing particular about equipment. As long as it passes, it doesn't really matter what exhaust equipment is on it, with the exception of a cat if it came factory equipped with one.

1994 K1500 350
    K&N Open Element, MSD 6A, Cobalt SS E-fans, BFG A/Ts, Cat-back duals, TSX HID retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    I'm out of state withno Internet. I had to fix the forum with my iPhone. Sorry guys

sbw

It's not worth trying to repair it. Buy a used manifold.

Quote Originally Posted by cancritter
    JB weld for a quick fix...
    It's pretty easy to get to with a mig welder. How long can I expect JB weld to hold up for? I'm probably just going to weld it for right now. Then I'm going to try and decide between headers and another manifold. Are those $30 eBay manifolds any good? Because for what NAPA wants for a manifold I may as well get the headers.
    Last edited by RiceKill; 03-05-2007 at 06:43 PM.

If your going to weld it , chanfer to the crack if you can , then get them hot before you weld and let them cool slowly. Quick temp. changes will cause more cracking.

Bagged & Bodydropped

Habitual Troublemaker cancritter's Avatar

that JB welds pretty good stuff...for filling in and sealing a small crack it will work well...have used it on many occaisions as filler in projects and it'll hold up as long as prep and instructions are followed... of course it would be nicer to put shorties on there and be done with it...
    however if yer in a bind or short of cash jb weld will help ya out in this situation
    [Stole/FOUND 13/03/08 :O)
    91GM 4x4 excb 5.7 @ 40 over, Westers,Eld 3704.Lunati Trickflow 195 @1.6 RR,Walpro 190/overbuilt 700r4 /TCS TC,4.10/tru trac,14 blt,Hooker LT,areofilter,Extreme TBI.MSD.AGR still adding
    07/ 6.7 Cummins..truck included
    70 fury 3
    71 sport fury GT

I think cancritter has a good temp. fix if you need to keep them on the truck for now. If not replace it , welding cast can be done but it can be a 7wheel s.o.b. even if you do it right. BTW to weld it right they have got to be off the engine anyway.
    Last edited by sharp94; 03-06-2007 at 01:08 AM.

Good link. I found out I can weld the manifold fine, I just have to spend more on rods then another manifold would cost and I'd have to remove it anyway.

I suppose the JB weld is the way to go for the moment. Now does anybody have any more header recommendations for something that will bolt into a 90? This is a work truck and DD. I'm not trying to make a race truck, I just want something that's going to last, not eat my wallet, maybe make a little extra power and sound alright if I do the rest of the exhaust.