If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pulling ABS Fuse, Drawbacks?

This is a discussion on Pulling ABS Fuse, Drawbacks? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Are there any drawbacks from pulling the ABS fuse? I've heard of so much crap coming from the ABS system ...

Pulling ABS Fuse, Drawbacks?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Are there any drawbacks from pulling the ABS fuse? I've heard of so much crap coming from the ABS system on the OBS chevy's that I just don't want to deal with it. Would my normal brakes still work properly?
    1997 Chevrolet Z71: 3 Dr. ECSB, 5.7L Vortec V8, Auto, G80, Cold Air Intake Mod(K&N Filter), Ranch Hand Bumpers F&R, Delta Tool Box, Flowmaster True Duals, Cranked TB's, NBS Silverado wheels, 285's, Turd Color

......................... Atomic's Avatar

Re: Pulling ABS Fuse, Drawbacks?

About the only drawback is....you wont have ABS, and you get a dash light telling you so...

The only time ive ever heard of abs not being useful is offroad because offroad (sand, mud, dirt, etc) material will build up in front of a locked tire - such is not the case on pavement, hence the need for abs.

I cant remember who but a guy here wired a switch on the ABS fuse so he could flip it off and have ABS disabled, then flip it back on and hes back to normal. He said he only used it offroad.
    Last edited by Atomic; 03-12-2007 at 01:43 AM.

Does your ABS work properly now? Do you drive primarily on pavement? If yes/yes, leave it hooked up. Unless you have a good reason to disable it, why break something thats not broken?

The primary culprit for the ABS system is bad sensors. I know this. My ABS has always worked fine till a few weeks ago. One of my wheel sensors has deceased (damn Chinese parts ) so now my abs system doesn't work at all. And I have this wonderful ABS light looking at me on my dash. This will be replaced shortly and all will be well again.
    08 HHR LS - 2.2 | 5 speed | 30 MPG

98 K1500 Z71 - 204k | L31 | 60E | 3.73's | 3" BL | 33x12.5x15 Dick Cepek F-C II's | Dynomax Ultra Flo X DI/DO | 14 MPG

84 S15 Jimmy 2dr 4x4 - engine/tranny all rebuilt

pulled my fuse as soon as i got my tahoe. brakes work fine just no abs. I just pulled mine because i never liked abs. ya the dash light is on but i can live with it

Just curious what happens when the ABS system tends to "cycle"?
    1997 Chevrolet Z71: 3 Dr. ECSB, 5.7L Vortec V8, Auto, G80, Cold Air Intake Mod(K&N Filter), Ranch Hand Bumpers F&R, Delta Tool Box, Flowmaster True Duals, Cranked TB's, NBS Silverado wheels, 285's, Turd Color

What about bleeding the brakes with an ABS system anything special?

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStarZ71
    What about bleeding the brakes with an ABS system anything special?
    nope, nothing different

98 K1500 Z71 - 204k | L31 | 60E | 3.73's | 3" BL | 33x12.5x15 Dick Cepek F-C II's | Dynomax Ultra Flo X DI/DO | 14 MPG

The only drawback is the light will be on but you can remove the bulb if it really bothers you. The best part is ABS will not bother you and your brakes will still function like they should. I hate the ABS on mine. Its too sensative and IMO doesn't help slow things down at all. To each his own.
    1995 Silverado - ported vortec heads, 4L80E, efans, LT4 Hot Cam, Rear disc brake conversion w/drilled and slotted rotors
    1999 NBS Silverdo - transgo HD2 shift kit, 3 inch dynomax ultra flow, Ford keys and 305/70-16 Mickey ATZs

Quote Originally Posted by oldred95
    The only drawback is the light will be on but you can remove the bulb if it really bothers you. The best part is ABS will not bother you and your brakes will still function like they should. I hate the ABS on mine. Its too sensative and IMO doesn't help slow things down at all. To each his own.
    You may not think it slows you down fast enough, but there is physics behind ABS. It takes more energy to overcome initial friction then it does to overcome all the friction after that point. If you've got a large heavy box you need to push across the floor, the hardest part will be getting it moving, after that it will only get easier (the limitation then being your energy to push it). ABS takes advantage of that "initial friction" by repeating it over and over. As someone who first learned how to drive in place where there is snow on the ground 6 months out of the yeah, I know for a fact ABS makes a hell of a difference. That being said the main benefit of ABS is not shorter stopping distaces, but being able to keep control instead of skidding out of control. When your front wheels lock up, it doesn't matter where you turn the steering wheel, wheels that aren't rotating don't provide any direction. ABS keeps them rotating so that your vehicle still goes where you point it.

That being said, the ABS on my truck has been out for 2 years now. I do get a little nervous about it when the ground is wet, not so much me, but the other retards down here in DFW. Also having done a rear end swap with bigger brakes, it throws the braking system out of proportion so my truck jack knifes a lot.
    Last edited by cedjunior; 03-13-2007 at 11:35 AM.

1995 K1500, 350, NV4500, 9.5" rear axle
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT 6.0 - 361/385 Stock Cortex Tuned

That's some good info to know, thanks. But what does "cycling" and "IMO" mean?

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStarZ71
    That's some good info to know, thanks. But what does "cycling" and "IMO" mean?
    IMO In My Opinion

ABS cycling, applying and releasing brake fluid pressure to keep the brake from locking up, thus allowing you to stop substantially faster even on dry pavement.

I have done ABS and non-ABS testing in my truck, ABS stops you in a much shorter distance, plus with ABS you still have maximum braking WHILE avoiding a possible collision. You cant steer while under maximum braking with a non-ABS equipped vehicle.

peace
    Hog
    97 GMC 2wd RCSB 5.7, s10 2700 footstall, Hooker 24621hkr LT's , 2.5" cats dual 4"pipes exit B4 pass. side tire, custom driveshaft 3.42 G80 FIPK MAF descreen GM/Mercruiser Marine intake manifold 29lb LS2(EV6) injectors Ed Wright PCM(best mod), LT4 KM 14.8@94mph 2.007 4000lbs 122mph

I thought about doing the same thing on the Tahoe... Cause every time I am pulling the trailer with a load/ jeep or nothing and I hit the brakes while on a bumpy/ crappie road the pedal starts to bounce up and down along with truck starts sliding cause have no brakes? SUCKS

no air in the lines and fluid levels are hight, but this only happens when pulling the trailer? loaded or unloaded kind of out of ideas unless I pull the ABS out!
    2006 Dodge Durango SLT 4X4
    2004 Jeep Wrangler 3.5" RE Super Flex on 33's
    1992 S-10 Blazer 8" lift on 33's
    1994 Full Size Blazer V8 4x4 AKA Green Beast

Original Gold Member 97Silverado's Avatar

Pulling the ABS fuse or otherwise disabling the system is a bonehead move.......IMO.......

Much like alcohol, tobacco, and voting there should be an age requirement for computer usage.
    "Drag racing helps me get rid of all my extra cash."
    Team credit card holder and crew chief - "Hot Rod" Heather JD4193 & Holly "Wood" JD4145

My ABS almost cause multiple slow speed acidents due to bad wheel sensors. Now that my fuse is pulled, I have never had anything close to an accident. They really only lock up in the snow/rain, and thats only with a LOT of pressure. With my ABS in, they would constantly lock, push back on the peddal, and not stop the truck at all.
    1998 Chevy K1500- Used, Abused, and Sold 1989 Camaro Iroc-Z 5.0, auto....- Sold
    1987 Dodge Dakota 2bbl, 5 spd, v6, 4x4, -scrap
    1993 Honda CBR600 F2- DD when nice out 1987 k5 blazer- bad ass

Quote Originally Posted by bowtieboy42
    My ABS almost cause multiple slow speed acidents due to bad wheel sensors. Now that my fuse is pulled, I have never had anything close to an accident. They really only lock up in the snow/rain, and thats only with a LOT of pressure. With my ABS in, they would constantly lock, push back on the peddal, and not stop the truck at all.
    Until you need teh brakes to work in a panic stop, you'll slide right into whatever is in front of you.

You have ineffective brakes if you cant lock them up, or if it rakes substantial force to lock them in the rain/snow. With my GM brakes I can lock my fronts at over 75mph.
    My truck "feels" unsafe without ABS.
    I would have cleaned/fixed the sensors, but I dont treat my truck like an amphibious vehicle like you do. lol

peace
    PAuly
    Last edited by Pauly; 03-13-2007 at 05:06 PM.
    97 GMC 2wd RCSB 5.7, s10 2700 footstall, Hooker 24621hkr LT's , 2.5" cats dual 4"pipes exit B4 pass. side tire, custom driveshaft 3.42 G80 FIPK MAF descreen GM/Mercruiser Marine intake manifold 29lb LS2(EV6) injectors Ed Wright PCM(best mod), LT4 KM 14.8@94mph 2.007 4000lbs 122mph

If you were to get into an accident and your insurance company finds out the fuse was pulled you will be in some chit. I too hate ABS brakes.

Project- 1976 C-10 472 Cadillac Big Block
    -Chad

I've only got rear ABS on mine and I have yet to figure out what that is...?

1994 K1500 350
    K&N Open Element, MSD 6A, Cobalt SS E-fans, BFG A/Ts, Cat-back duals, TSX HID retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    I'm out of state withno Internet. I had to fix the forum with my iPhone. Sorry guys

Quote Originally Posted by neevnav
    I've only got rear ABS on mine and I have yet to figure out what that is...?
    I think the rear ABS is a marketing ploy, my dad had the same thing on his 94 W/T and neither of us were able to get them to work. The rear end would lock solid though, just not "pulsate" like they were supposed to.

In my truck it doesnt have any ABS that i know of. I have no sensors at any wheel and etc...
    Should i have ABS?

Not trying to jack,
    Chackerman

Daily Driver/Weekend Wheeler:
    1986 GMC 3/4ton 4x4,Mildly Built 350,True Duals, Big Block Rad, blah blah blah all sitting on 315/70R17's stock.

Down due to VI:
    1994 Chevrolet Cheyenne 2500 4x43 inch PA body lift, 6 inch pro-comp suspension lift

1994 has rear ABS only, as described above...
    "GO BIG OR GO HOME"
    C/K's NBS&OBS (too many to list)
    2003 Suburban 1500 soon to be a 2500.(needs front clip ++)

frame, axles, eng, trans, all together
    body back on with new front clip
    is now driveable!! and almost complete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast