If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jerking in overdrive under throttle

This is a discussion on Jerking in overdrive under throttle within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; What could be the cause of jerking or missing while under throttle in overdrive at rpm of 2k and higher? ...

Question Jerking in overdrive under throttle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    What could be the cause of jerking or missing while under throttle in overdrive at rpm of 2k and higher? If throttle is heavy enough to downshift to 3rd it won't jerk, but when od kicks in, it will. I am not getting any codes and no pending codes. Is this a trans problem? It's a 98 Yukon, 5.7L with L460E. Tranny was rebuilt 3 yrs ago.
    Last edited by yukondave; 04-15-2007 at 10:23 AM.

Re: Jerking in overdrive under throttle

what year truck and what tranny is it?
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

It's a 98 Yukon, 5.7L with L460E. Tranny was rebuilt 3 yrs ago.

loose nut behind da wheel JeremyB's Avatar

When it starts jerking, touch the brake pedal just enough to get the tcc to disengage-rpms will jump 2-300 rpms, if the jerking stops, its a possible tc shudder. You may want to get a scanner on it and check the cam retard- it may indicate distributor gear wear if its negative without any work done on intake manifold or anything else that needs the distributor removed

I'll try it. Just to make sure: tcc is throttle control circuit? Thanks!

I had a 97 2wd that did that same thing. Under light accel or just at cruising speed it was like the engine would miss or hiccup. Never did it under med to hard accel. Turned out to be the ignition coil. Changed it and it never did it again.

Quote Originally Posted by yukondave
    I'll try it. Just to make sure: tcc is throttle control circuit? Thanks!
    TCC is the torque converter lockup. If you do what the other poster said about touching the brake and the shuddering stops then go to the auto parts store and buy a can of additive. They sell all different brands now, but it is for torque converter shudder. It is actually common and usually can be fixed with the additive, but not always. Don't keep letting it do it or it will only make it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by 99-2door
    I had a 97 2wd that did that same thing. Under light accel or just at cruising speed it was like the engine would miss or hiccup. Never did it under med to hard accel. Turned out to be the ignition coil. Changed it and it never did it again.
    My 94 k1500 350 also would do this in OD going up a slight hill or light acceleration, turned out to be the plugs on mine.

on mine (97 k 1500) with the 4l60e it started shuddering like you mentioned but it also started acting like it was running out of fuel I do have the shift problem and the trans component slipping code. after I change plugs and wires it hasn't done it again....

02 SILVERADO mine/01 SUBURBAN hers

"ALWAYS".....M1 full syn.

Change plugs, wires ,cap, rotor, should fix the problem, it's
    a cylinder miss i bet..

Good luck!!!
    -1999 GMC seirra 3500 4x4 SRW
    - Vortec 454
    - G80
    - 4:10's
    - 4L80E
    - regular Cab long box
    - Western Unimount electro touch 7'6" snow plow
    - 79,000 miles all stock

Quote Originally Posted by daman1
    Change plugs, wires ,cap, rotor, should fix the problem, it's
    a cylinder miss i bet..

Good luck!!!
    Thats what mine was back in December. Ended up being the distributor cap was worn, cracked and corroded.

this thread might help diagnose the problem also. http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/...d.php?t=217771
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 | ASC #2698 | #22 of 32
    DD: 1991 Chevy Silverado w/190k miles.

"ALWAYS".....M1 full syn.

Yup mine too,,seems like these distributors corrode amd
    cause a miss quite often..
    -1999 GMC seirra 3500 4x4 SRW
    - Vortec 454
    - G80
    - 4:10's
    - 4L80E
    - regular Cab long box
    - Western Unimount electro touch 7'6" snow plow
    - 79,000 miles all stock

I did the trick with the brake, the rpm's went up a little and the shudder stopped. It returned when I let off the brake. I'll be checking the distributor and looking for torque convertor additive. Thanks all, for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by yukondave
    What could be the cause of jerking or missing while under throttle in overdrive at rpm of 2k and higher? If throttle is heavy enough to downshift to 3rd it won't jerk, but when od kicks in, it will. I am not getting any codes and no pending codes. Is this a trans problem? It's a 98 Yukon, 5.7L with L460E. Tranny was rebuilt 3 yrs ago.
    Well I am just going to put my 2cents in this. I have a 99 tahoe with almost the same jerking problem but only in 3rd gear on hi rpm. In overdrive above 2500 rpm I did the whole plug, wires, cap, and rotor deal still the same problem. Then I hear someone say on here that the wearring on the dis. may be wornout and the timing may be off. So I work for a Internationl Dealer in town and we had a "snap on" scanner. I guess this is how you check timing on the chvey they say on here so i gave it a shot and my timing was off by -6 we got it back on time, you have to be -2 or +2 some where in there then i took it for a ride and that took care of it.

My 1998 Tahoe began having the same overdrive jerking problem at about 143,000 miles. The spark plugs had been in since 100,000 miles and the shop said they were fine. After finding this thread I replaced them and all seems good, though it's just been a couple days and I haven't been up to 70mph yet; just a 55mph highway with hills. Feels like I have a little more power, too.

The engine was also hiccuping while idling at intersections, and that has gone away with new plugs.
    Last edited by ehsande; 07-04-2010 at 01:39 AM. Reason: clarify post

my silverado did the same thing going up hill i wasnt forcing it or anything it wouldnt downshift unless i made it to get the revs up so it wouldnt do it......... turned out to be my plugs

you guys have been hitting all around it, just want to add that any engine problems are magnified when in OD with the Torque converter clutch applied

mine did it under any stress especially up hill. i dont think the truck is supposed to jerk like it does.
    Last edited by Turkmod; 07-04-2010 at 04:07 PM.

wtd

My 98 ext-cab Z71 has been doing the same thing lately but my ignition components area all fairly new. My distributor is original though but I have a billet aluminum one to put in some time. I was thinking it had to do with my tranny. My truck only has 115,000 miles on it.

Wayne
    98 ext-cab Z-71 5.7L/4L60E/10 bolt/3.73 locking diff
    Borla duel rear exit exhaust, HD bilstein shocks LT265/75R16 Michelin LTX A/T tires

98 reg cab long bed K3500 4x4 7.4L/4L80E/14 bolt FF/4.10 locking diff. Flowmaster Cat-back, LT245/75/16 Michelin LTX M/S tires.

hey I need some help i have a 1996 burban with 228,000 and mine shutters i guess you could call it after i crest a hill and let off the throttle i just purchessed this truck like 3 weeks ago the first thing i did was replace the plugs and put a K&N air filter in it i need to change the oil but it feels like my tranny might hit the ground any second but its strong every other time except when it does this and when this first started it threw a code of a intermittent MAF sensor so i pulled it out and cleaned it and it went away for a day or so and now the light is on again havent checked to see what the new code is any helpful hints?
    Last edited by high&tight4wd; 09-14-2010 at 03:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast