***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

95 350 Chevy engine problems

This is a discussion on 95 350 Chevy engine problems within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; My truck is a 1995 Silverado with the 350 engine serial number "K" model. I just put a stock replacement ...

95 350 Chevy engine problems

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    My truck is a 1995 Silverado with the 350 engine serial number "K" model.

I just put a stock replacement cam in it and I have some new problems showing up in addition to what was already happening B4 the cam swap.

B4 the swap, the engine hesitated when you stepped on the gas almost to the point of dying. In fact I think it would die if I had not let up on the pedal somewhat. It it ran good after the engine got up to speed and had good power. It was very hard to start when cold. I had to hold the gas pedal to floor in order to start it. There was a very strong gas smell and a rich smelling exaust. I know that the TBI was flooding the intake with too much gas. A friend borrowed the truck one day and told me that he checked and I was getting about 9-10 mpg

After the swap, the engine has less power than B4. I think it needs timing fore sure but it still has starting problems and still has the hesitation on take off to almost dying. Still has the flooding problem.

What is wrong with the truck that will make the TBI flood the engine like that? They man who helped me get the cam in told me that the MAP sensor may be one of the problems, is this correct?

Help, I am about to pull my hair out...jim
    Last edited by 95chevy350k; 04-29-2007 at 12:52 PM.

Re: 95 350 Chevy engine problems

if the cam was much bigger than stock, u need to get a reprogramed e-prom chip, and the hard starting is probally from the timing, if u retard the timing a lil it will be easier to start, and the map sensor can cause a flooding problem due to a big cam, and the ecu not being upgraded. a larger cam causes less vacum, which inturn makes the map sensor tell the ecu that the load on the motor is heaver than it really is, therefore making it run rich...

Whats the conditon of the TBI unit? whats fuel pressure reading?
    is timing set to zero degrees with tan/black wire disconnected?
    whats vacuum reading coming off the map port on the tbi?
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

Hi, thanks for the reply. Both the old and new cams were stock.

Can a bad map sensor cause flooding with the stock cam?

What can go wrong with the TBI unit that would cause flooding?

thanks again...james

Quote Originally Posted by brokenotdead
    if the cam was much bigger than stock, u need to get a reprogramed e-prom chip, and the hard starting is probally from the timing, if u retard the timing a lil it will be easier to start, and the map sensor can cause a flooding problem due to a big cam, and the ecu not being upgraded. a larger cam causes less vacum, which inturn makes the map sensor tell the ecu that the load on the motor is heaver than it really is, therefore making it run rich...

I wish I knew all that but your talking to a mechanical idiot.
    thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by NEUMANNZZ
    Whats the conditon of the TBI unit? whats fuel pressure reading?
    is timing set to zero degrees with tan/black wire disconnected?
    whats vacuum reading coming off the map port on the tbi?

even with a stock cam, if u have a vaccuum leak to the map, or a bad map it will flood, and often the o-rings on the injector go bad and pour gas.
    '92 Z71 350 TBI

i just had the hesitation problem on my '95 350 after replacing the intake gasket. ended up being the TPS (throttle positioning sensor). made it run rich and would flood on hard acceleration, also made it shift funny.

'95 Tahoe - t/b crank, add-a-leafs, pro comp shocks, rock crawler wheels, trxus 33's, new paint, lights, grill, and a lot of blood sweat and elbow grease.