If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

need picture temp sending unit

This is a discussion on need picture temp sending unit within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Does any have pictures of a temp sending unit for a 1990 gmc sierra 350 5.7 4x4 auto? i need ...

Cool need picture temp sending unit

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Does any have pictures of a temp sending unit for a 1990 gmc sierra 350 5.7 4x4 auto?

i need to know where the sending unit is, because my temp gauge seems to not be working properly..

can someone show me a picture, email if possible

thanks

jdmem1coupe@aol.com

Re: need picture temp sending unit

I am thinking it should be in the driver side cylinder head sort of between the plugs and below them. One wire runs to it. The location is between the front two plugs on the driver side.
    Last edited by Cyclopsblown34; 04-30-2007 at 03:03 PM.

do you knwo if i can replace this and get the part a parts store? because the temp gauge isn't really working, it doesn't move at all, so it's either the gauge itself or the sending unit?

but is the sending unit replacable?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy
    do you knwo if i can replace this and get the part a parts store? because the temp gauge isn't really working, it doesn't move at all, so it's either the gauge itself or the sending unit?

but is the sending unit replacable?

thanks
    The sending unit is replaceable. Have somebody in the truck with the ignition turned on and ground the wire that goes to the sending unit, the gauge should climb immediately. You can get the sending unit at any auto parts store, even the chain stores. Drain the cooling system before attempting it because it runs right into a water port in the head. It is a very simple job.

Smile Re: need picture temp sending unit

thanks for the help guys.. I appreciate it

am thinking it should be in the driver side cylinder head sort of between the plugs and below them. One wire runs to it. The location is between the front two plugs on the driver side.
    On my '90, that is the perfect description of my knock sensor. My temp sensor is here.
    Buffalo
    '90 Chev 3/4 ton 4wd, work-daily driver first, toy second

05 GTO upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo
    On my '90, that is the perfect description of my knock sensor. My temp sensor is here.
    That is the temp sensor that the computer uses to determine what temp the engine is at. The actual dash temp sensor is on the driver side on the side of the head.
    1991 C1500 Ext. Scrapped. I still have the engine, tranny and Detroit tru-trac.
    2005 GTO LS2 with full Pedders track II suspension. StreetsweeperHT cam with Kooks exhaust. Tuned.

Your knock sensor should be on the passenger side in the block in front of the starter.

jor

Here's a drawing from my 87's shop manual that illustrates component location along with another I made up.
    jor

This is on driver's side head (temp sensor for gage)

Yes, the electronic spark control is mounted on the inlet manifold. The knock sensor is in the side of the block to pick up the rattle from the combustion chamber if you have preignition.

You guys are absolutely right and I apologise for giving out false information and for correcting Cyclopsblown34 when I was the one who was wrong. I know exactly which sensor that you are talking about. When I changed my engine 2 years ago I took that sensor to 4 different auto parts stores, none of them could identify it. Somehow I got the two switched around in my head and have been thinking that the temp sensor was the knock sensor. Once again I apologise...
    Buffalo
    '90 Chev 3/4 ton 4wd, work-daily driver first, toy second

EVERYBODY makes mistakes, no big deal.

Bobaganoosh

I have the same problem on my 99. I got a new coolant temp sensor for the intake mani. I will pick up a new sensor for the block. I believe this is the AC part # 12556263. Rock Auto has it for 16.36 and GMPD for 15.53.
    2004 Ducati 749 still somewhat stock
    1999 Tahoe lifted and motor throughly massaged
    1998 Ducati 748 Big Bored 853 Full race machine, street legal.
    I pray to the gods of speed and HP. I have yet to make a sacrifice to the gods, but I know my time will come.

Excellent info! I have went through three thermostats trying to get the coolant temp to reliably swing up into the normal range. When I first noticed the problem the temp would get to 140 and just sit there forever, so I figured the t-stat was stuck open, so I replaced it. The new one allowed the temp gauge to swing normally for a few days after it was installed, then it would go to 170 and stay there(like the original one). The other two replacements have acted the same way, so now I think it must be the temp sensor itself that is bad, as the odds of having three different brands(from three different auto parts stores: Autozone, O'Reilly's, Advance) of new thermostats must be astronomical.
    1995 Cheyenne C2500 V6 RC LB 7200LB GVW