GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

2001 Tahoe 5.3L Spark Plug Question

This is a discussion on 2001 Tahoe 5.3L Spark Plug Question within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; My 2001 Tahoe is about to hit the 100,000 mile mark. It has the original plugs and runs just like ...

2001 Tahoe 5.3L Spark Plug Question

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    My 2001 Tahoe is about to hit the 100,000 mile mark. It has the original plugs and runs just like it has for years. Gas mileage is the same and there are no problems. Should I change the spark plugs or leave well enough alone?

I saw that MSD has coil packs for my motor and that NGK has a plug that will fit, but I don't want to touch something that isn't broken. I am wondering about the MSD coil packs also. They run ~$90 per so they are not cheap. With gas on its way to $3.50 or more per gallon, I am looking for mileage improvements.

Thanks for your input.

Re: 2001 Tahoe 5.3L Spark Plug Question

If you spend close to $800 for all that stuff you would have to pick up a lot of MPG to make it worth it. If you were worried about the 100k and the plugs not being changed pull them out and put some anti-sieze on the threads and re-install. That's my .02.

Check the plugs... if they are still in good shape, leave 'em in there. If they look like they need replacing, install new ones. As Slammed stated, put some anti-seize on 'em either way when installing.
    Prov 3:5-6; Jer 29:11
    '99 2wd 4dr Tahoe:
    Mods list

From what I have read, the MSD coils are not worth the money.

If its loud, fast and runs on flammable liquid......count me in.
    Built LQ9...blah blah blah

Change the plugs, it's only going to run better...not worse unless you damage the plug during install or mess up the gap. Pulling the plugs just to check and not replace them is ridiculous...especially with 100k on them. NGK's are a good plug...delco gets their iridiums made by them.

Your stock coils are more than good enough for a modded motor let alone a stocker. You'd be better off using that money for a tune or some intake/exhaust mods.

Thanks for all the info. It looks like I will go get me some new plugs and install them. I'll save the money and not buy the coil packs.

Thanks again.