If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

My truck sputters when I press the gas... What could be wrong?

This is a discussion on My truck sputters when I press the gas... What could be wrong? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Ok here's the story... I was out driving around in my truck yesterday, just cruising on the back roads through ...

Unhappy My truck sputters when I press the gas... What could be wrong?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Ok here's the story... I was out driving around in my truck yesterday, just cruising on the back roads through the woods. The moment I saw a side road that dipped down then went up a hill, with a huge puddle the size of a small lake at the bottom I was turning down that road and picking up speed like the smart person I was. After parting the damn thing like Moses and the red sea my engine abruptly shut off. As you can imagine, a few very colorful words left my mouth as I watched the steam rolling out from the engine. Luckily I'd coasted up the hill a ways, so I was clear of the puddle. In a hopeless attempt, I tried starting my truck up again. She turned over, but she didn't catch. I popped my hood, feeling like a complete retard as I saw everything under the hood had been drechenched. I couldn't see anything out of place, but I really wasn't sure what to look for. I don't know if the fact it was a hot day had anything to do with it, but ten mintures later I hopped back into my truck and tried to start her up, after a bit of groaning, she finally fired up. I continued down the trail and was able to find my way out without running back through the puddle again. It didn't take me long, to notice that when I was pressing on the gas, a sputtering noise would start, then stop as soon as I left off the gas. I went home and listened to my truck idle, hearing a clicking noise under the hood. I changed the spark plugs and the clicking stopped, but the sputtering noise still starts when ever I press on the gas.

My dad is out of town and I don't want to take my truck in if it's something I can fix myself.

Does anyone know what could be happening?

Re: My truck sputters when I press the gas... What could be wrong?

what year? might've sucked up a little bit of water and burned out the MAS

My truck is a 1990 Chevy 2500 HD, manual.

What does MAS stand for?
    Last edited by Redneck Girl; 05-27-2007 at 11:18 AM.

I would check under the distributor cap to see if water got inside and caused arcing. clean the inside of cap and top of rotor. No service engine soon light?
    you dont have a MAS(mass air sensor).
    Last edited by NEUMANNZZ; 05-27-2007 at 12:33 PM.
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Girl
    My truck is a 1990 Chevy 2500 HD, manual.

What does MAS stand for?
    MAS is mass airflow sensor, a 1990 wouldn't have one. Probably water in the distributer cap. Or maybe your air filter got wet. Which will cause the truck to run rich and sputter at Partial to [WOT] wide open throttle. Sometimes the water in the distributer will dry up after a day or so, but not always, and it could have rusted the contacts. You just changed plugs, wouldn't hurt to put in a new cap and rotor. Just make sure to label your plug wires so you don't forget where they go.

Thanks, you guys are helping me alot. I really apreciate it. I haven't looked under my distributor cap yet, but I had it replaced less then a month ago if that information helps. I just went out and looked at my air filter, but I'm not sure how to tell if it's wet or if that's just the way it looks from normal wear and tear. I may run down and get a new one, since it's fairly cheap to replace and probably needs one anyways.

I like to take some wd-40 or silicone spray and spray into the distributor cap and then wipe it out good with a paper towel, That helps with water or moister.

Would a 1988 have a MAS?

'88 k15
    '41 C10
    '53 3600
    '54 3100

Supporting Member

nope

Thanks just wondering
    wasn't sure.

'88 k15
    '41 C10
    '53 3600
    '54 3100

Id done the same thind with my first truck 93 s10 and it was the cap and rotor button had gotten wet. I just change it not very much