***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Rechaging AC on '97 K1500

This is a discussion on Rechaging AC on '97 K1500 within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hey, Where's the LOW pressure valve on my 97 K1500's AC system. Trying to recharge the AC, bought all the ...

Rechaging AC on '97 K1500

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Hey, Where's the LOW pressure valve on my 97 K1500's AC system. Trying to recharge the AC, bought all the needed goods(I hope), just not sure what valve to tap. By the way, I heard I could DIE doing this(so the Wal-Mart auto guy tells me). Is this true? Thanks everyone........

Re: Rechaging AC on '97 K1500

Hey, Where's the LOW pressure valve on my 97 K1500's AC system. Trying to recharge the AC, bought all the needed goods(I hope), just not sure what valve to tap.
    My Low pressure fill valve, is located on the Accumulator (yours may differ).

By the way, I heard I could DIE doing this(so the Wal-Mart auto guy tells me). Is this true?
    Yes, personal injury or death could result (with most things, an accident could always happen) if you don't KNOW what you're doing.

Aloha, Mark
    Last edited by ma96782; 05-27-2007 at 02:13 PM.
    '95 Silverado ECSB, K1500, Z71, 4x4, 5.7L, TBI, 4l60e 4 spd auto trans, 3.73, G80, LT245/75R16, alum 6 lug wheels, 6 leaf springs on each side, 14 bolt rear, disc/drum (Code JB6-7200 lb rated), 6600 GVWR (Code C5S), HD chassis (Code F44).........basically stock.

Anyone with more details, pics, or more info? By the way, I bought
    134a, is this cool? Or do I need R12? Thanks...........
    Last edited by Indian Truck; 05-28-2007 at 04:27 PM.

On my '97 K1500 'burban, the low pressure port is right by the compressor. It's pretty close to the high pressure port, but the hose will only fit the low pressure port with 134a. My '97 is 134a, so I assume yours is too, but if it's R12, the 134a hose won't fit.

"ALWAYS".....M1 full syn.

Guy's they havent put R-12 in stuff for a long time now,LOL
    everything is 134a, sounds like you ned to do some reading up
    on this before you hurt your self or your ac system..
    -1999 GMC seirra 3500 4x4 SRW
    - Vortec 454
    - G80
    - 4:10's
    - 4L80E
    - regular Cab long box
    - Western Unimount electro touch 7'6" snow plow
    - 79,000 miles all stock

134a is the stuff you need...the hose will only go on to one of the connectors. Look for a black screw on cap on top of your compressor. As far as death...well like others said you can die doing just about anything. Heres a pic...

Hey is says "YOU MAY NOT POST ATTACHMENTS"

Sorry man I had a great pic for you too....
    Red 2004 Silverado Z71 ECSB, 17" Alloys, 265 Dueler Revo's, Spectre Cold Air, No Name Dual Exhaust, TruXido Lo Pro, Westin Nerfs, OnStar, XM, TomTom, Bose, USA Spec iPod interface, Sprayed in bed liner and Valet Remote Start!

Bagged & Bodydropped

Also, you didn't have a bad leak or did you do any repairs? That way you evacuate it first...

Get in sit down hang on. SolMan98's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Truck
    Anyone with more details, pics, or more info? By the way, I bought
    134a, is this cool? Or do I need R12? Thanks...........
    It's right above the compressor (large black pulley if you didn't know). You will see a black screw off plastic cap. The hose will only connect to that one.

D/D-2006 HHR 1LT 5-Speed.
    1996 Silverado, 5.7, FIPKII, Elect Fans, S/S Headers, Duals, Wait4Me, 4/5 drop on 18" Weld Evo Velosity's. STOLEN ON 9/9/2006

Quote Originally Posted by daman1
    Guys they havent put R-12 in stuff for a long time now,LOL
    everything is 134a,
    '97 isn't too far from the cutoff...it was sometime in the mid '90s ('94?).

There will be a sticker somewhere under your hood that tells what refrigerant you have. Mine is towards the back on the passenger side, on top of what appears to be the receiver/dryer.

To clarify what I said before, I assume you bought either a can with a hose attached or a can and a hose. In either case, the hose has a quick disconnect fitting at the end, and the only thing it will attach to is the low pressure fitting in a 134a system. That means you can't physically attach it to the high pressure fitting, and if your truck were a few years older and had R12, the hose wouldn't fit either of the fittings.

A/C work can get expensive real fast.....tools cost and replacement parts cost.

IMHO....get a book.....it's a cheap investment.....then read it.

Proceed at your own risk. ALL LAWYER TYPE WARNINGS APPLY. Take precautions and wear safety equipment. Release of the refrigerant into the atmosphere is verboten.

DIY...OK....I'M NOT AN EXPERT (so, just assume that I‘m wrong).....get a book.....it's a cheap investment.....then read it.....a Ford is different from a Chevy. Last warning.

Short story.....first is it R12 or 134a (converted or factory)? Factories did the conversion to R-134a about 1994? So, at least you know what you’re dealing with and what type of refrigerant to get.

IMHO…..if you let the expert, dye it, or vacuum it……why not let him do everything to re-charge it?

OK……so, you still want to try? Last warning, again.

Check for leaks.....dye or evacuate (vacuum) the system and see if it will hold a vacuum (30min-60min, your choice). If it's leak free.....continue. IF not....you need to replace parts (don’t forget oil for the components) and/or tighten the connections properly.

If after you replace parts....check for leaks, again......why waste refrigerant?

Say you didn't test for leaks and want to gamble......assuming that the individual components are in good working order? And, you’re still willing to continue.

OK....engine off…….hook up the manifold. Consult the manifold’s manual (directions) on how to use it. Get the initial reading (AKA; Static reading). They'll be a point that the levels will equalize.....note gauges (hi and low side readings). Consult book. The reading will sort of tell you (though, not always)....IF, it just needs a little charge.

Assume here, that it needs a little charge.....ENGINE OFF......with the hoses properly connected and the manifold knobs turned correctly……..introduce the proper refrigerant and let it get sucked up through the low-side port. Can is right side up.

When it's though sucking up, as much as it will take.....note manifold readings. Close off all the manifolds knobs again. Consult the book. Test run.

Still NOT COLD?

Next, turn on the engine, set idle at 1500 RPM, A/C on, A/C fan running.....(a house fan in front of the condenser keeps things cool while the engine is running). Turn manifold knob to introduce more refrigerant into the system via the low-side. (Remember, there are specific capacities involved to properly do the job.) The can may need to be inverted and you mught have to jump the compressor switch (to help it suck up). Keep a watch of the high and low gauges and the temps that you are getting in the interior of the truck.......40 degrees (in F) below the ambient air temps is, "good enough,".......close off the refrigerant and disconnect hoses......It's done. Note the high and low pressures and compare with the book readings. Having an "over charge" is a bad situation too.

Warnings.........there are specific pressure/temps readings involved, and the book mentions that tests are at 80 degrees F ambient air temp. and your location (height above sea level).....so, you're to adjust to the book's table.

ALL LAWYER TYPE WARNINGS APPLY

Here is a good source of info on A/C parts and some other info (note, there is a forum):

http://www.ackits.com/

Aloha, Mark

PS....http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=158183

From an old thread.

Aloha, Mark
    Last edited by ma96782; 05-29-2007 at 05:30 PM.
    '95 Silverado ECSB, K1500, Z71, 4x4, 5.7L, TBI, 4l60e 4 spd auto trans, 3.73, G80, LT245/75R16, alum 6 lug wheels, 6 leaf springs on each side, 14 bolt rear, disc/drum (Code JB6-7200 lb rated), 6600 GVWR (Code C5S), HD chassis (Code F44).........basically stock.

Hey, I got it, and I'm still alive!!
    Thanks a bunch everyone. I'm ridin' cool now.
    Not as hard as I thought.
    Last edited by Indian Truck; 06-04-2007 at 08:33 AM.

Ok I went to do this today and when I put on the valve hose and turned the truck on with the a/c at full blast the guage hit 100 instantly which reads "Danger". What is going on here? My a/c works fine but it's just not as cold as I know it should. I thought that this would work and do the trick. What could be the problem or am I doing something wrong?
    1997 Chevrolet Z71: 3 Dr. ECSB, 5.7L Vortec V8, Auto, G80, Cold Air Intake Mod(K&N Filter), Ranch Hand Bumpers F&R, Delta Tool Box, Flowmaster True Duals, Cranked TB's, NBS Silverado wheels, 285's, Turd Color