If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

2wd 5lug to 6 lug bolt pattern

This is a discussion on 2wd 5lug to 6 lug bolt pattern within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Has anyone thought about changing a 2wd 5 lug bolt pattern to a 6lug bolt pattern for better wheel choices....

2wd 5lug to 6 lug bolt pattern

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Has anyone thought about changing a 2wd 5 lug bolt pattern to a 6lug bolt pattern for better wheel choices.

Re: 2wd 5lug to 6 lug bolt pattern

Yes, it's been discussed, I think a few people here have done it. If I remember correctly, it is done with either an OBS 4x4 rear axle, or a NBS axle, and OBS 3/4 ton light duty rotors (I think thats the correct model, it was something oddball like that).
    Last edited by Ward83; 07-19-2007 at 08:59 PM.
    1995 Silverado Ext Cab Stepside 5.7L
    1988 Trans Am GTA 5.0L, 5-speed, 9-Bolt, digi-dash, leather

I'm so much cooler online Mark13's Avatar

The easiest way would be to find a nbs 2wd truck then you won't have to change anything. I'm sure that doesn't help though.

2006 Chevy 2500HD
    Boss 9.2 Poly V plow

Loves GMT400 haters someotherguy's Avatar

Yep, you're either gonna have to do some mods to your rear end or swap it for one from a NBS, which may also require some modding. If you mod yours, you're gonna have to order custom axles or re-drill your existing ones, then you gotta deal with the drums as well. Or, convert to rear disc while you're at it.

The fronts, yeah, it's as easy as just swapping on rotors from a light duty 3/4 ton, first hand experience on that one.

Richard
    Last edited by someotherguy; 07-19-2007 at 09:28 PM.

Could 4x4 axles from a 73-87 truck be swaped out and work on my 96 2wd rearend?

r u stupid or something?

funny, i thought that there would be better choices in a 5 lug.(way back when it was).
    I WOULD RATHER DIE ON MY FEET, THAN LIVE ON BENDED KNEE!!!!

Loves GMT400 haters someotherguy's Avatar

I think if you're doing the swap to 6 lug just for wheel choices, you're gonna be disappointed.

Many of the 6 lug wheels are designed with NBS trucks in mind which have an entirely different front hub/bearing design. The depth and diameter of the center bore can often be too small for the OBS "light duty" 3/4 ton hub. I found this out the hard way on my '94 2500. I could have fixed it with about 1" worth of spacer but then I'd have been screwed for my 5/7 drop.

If you think I'm kidding, look closely at the hub design of an NBS. The bearings sit behind the wheel mounting surface, and the hub itself is very small - looks like the hub from the rear of a 1/2 ton. Now compare it to the design of even a 1/2 ton OBS; where the bearings are in a traditional setup with the outer bearing sitting outside of the centerline of the wheel, with a large hub area surrounding it.

Whether or not a 6 lug wheel designed for the NBS trucks is going to fit an OBS 6 lug setup is gonna be trial and error; and if you think the wheel manufacturer knows for sure, you could be in for a surprise.

Richard

Tbi-MAX

what is the biggest size rim 5 lug that will fit OBS?

Quote Originally Posted by Tbi-MAX
    what is the biggest size rim 5 lug that will fit OBS?
    Not sure I follow this question.... You can order any size rim you want in a 5-lug pattern. Make sure you get what fits your vehicle/mods (backspace measurement may be an issue depending on your suspension).

OBS 5-lug trucks (mostly 2wd, but some older 4x4s ran 5 lugs) are typically 5 on 5. The other size is for cars and small trucks - 5 on 4.75.
    Prov 3:5-6; Jer 29:11
    '99 2wd 4dr Tahoe:
    Mods list

Tbi-MAX

Quote Originally Posted by TigerEyz3
    Not sure I follow this question.... You can order any size rim you want in a 5-lug pattern. Make sure you get what fits your vehicle/mods (backspace measurement may be an issue depending on your suspension).

OBS 5-lug trucks (mostly 2wd, but some older 4x4s ran 5 lugs) are typically 5 on 5. The other size is for cars and small trucks - 5 on 4.75.
    i was thinking about stock rims... sorry. what stock rims 5 lug, and biggest size available?

Biggest and only size for the OBS 5 lug wheels is 15 inches. They had the steel wheels that my truck had from the factory, and the aluminum wheels it has on it now. The 6 lug 4wd wheels they had that were similar to the 5 lug aluminum wheels I believe were 16's but might have been 15's. If I got rims it would be some Torq Thrust II's, they make them in a 5 on 5 pattern. F-bodies use a 5x4.75 and Mustangs use a 5x4 pattern. The OBS front brakes use bearings that go on to the spindle and inside the rotor, I know because I did a brake job last week. The NBS trucks use a spindle with a hub, where you bolt the rotor to the hub like a rim, and you don't have to pack bearings like the OBS.

91 RCSB C1500 4.3 4L60 Cash for Clunkered 8/3/09
    09 Ford Mustang Bullitt #5998 Brenspeed Tune, LCAs. 13.35 @104.3
    94 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra ModdedSOLD 9/4/08

As HornsFan0609 stated, the 2wd 5on5 factory rims only came in 15".... The aluminum ones are 7" wide. I think the steels may have been a little narrower (6.5"). I've got my factory aluminum set in the garage (in boxes) if you're interested.

Most OBS 4x4 rims are aluminum, 16" diameter, and are also 7" wide. Some of the OOBS 4wd trucks ran a 15" 5on5, but they are rare.

I've also got a set of 15x8 TT2 (currently on my truck) if you're interested HornsFan. I recently acquired a set of 16x8 5on5 wheels in chrome (rare find).
    Prov 3:5-6; Jer 29:11
    '99 2wd 4dr Tahoe:
    Mods list

Tbi-MAX

makes sense, yeah i got the 15s with the 5 lug... but i did notice a 4x4 of my year had the same rims but yes they were 16s and 6 lug..

ohh well, i really wanted some 17s or something, even 16s.. but like you said rare find in 5lugs

Thanks for the offer man, but i'm broke right now, just spent 400 dollars on a rear brake job. When I get the money and want some rims, i'm gonna probably go with some 17's or maybe 18's, just big enough to look good and not too much, and where I can put some low profile tires on so they are the same size and rolling circumference, so my speedo isn't too far off.

91 RCSB C1500 4.3 4L60 Cash for Clunkered 8/3/09
    09 Ford Mustang Bullitt #5998 Brenspeed Tune, LCAs. 13.35 @104.3
    94 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra ModdedSOLD 9/4/08

I want to put some late model 16's or 17's on my 1997 Silverado that I am converting to 6-lug. The only problem I find is that all the late model wheels I have looked at so far have a 1 1/4 inch difference in backspacing. I do not want the tires and wheels to be that much further under the truck, any suggestions?