If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Location Of Oil Pressure Sending Unit????

This is a discussion on Location Of Oil Pressure Sending Unit???? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; The oil pressure gauge in my truck is bouncing around and acting stupid. I have checked the oil level and ...

Location Of Oil Pressure Sending Unit????

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    The oil pressure gauge in my truck is bouncing around and acting stupid. I have checked the oil level and it is good. I have seen people advise to change the sending unit with this problem. My question is where exactly is it located on a 5.7 Vortec? I can't see into my engine bay well enough to try and locate it and I want to know how involved it is going to be before I ask my brother to help me install it. Thanks to anyone who can tell me where it is located.

Re: Location Of Oil Pressure Sending Unit????

on my motor it's behind the left exhaust manifold near the firewall. just put a wrench on the hex near the bottom of the unit and just unscrew it.
    Last edited by 1ugly88; 07-24-2007 at 06:10 PM.

Thanks 1. I'll start by looking there. Hopefully that is were it will be on my truck.

pfk

Depending on the year of the truck and if 2wd or 4x4 it could be in 2 different locations. (the differences mentioned below are based on an educated guess as to which vehicles have which sensor location, the locations themselves are accurate though )

in a 2wd, or vehicles without oil cooler lines, just up from the oil filter on the side of the block as already mentioned

in a 4x4,or vehicles with oil cooler lines, just beside the distributor on the driver's side.
    (here's a pic I stole from Mjilnor's thread where he broke his sending unit, makes it easy to identify)

1995 GMC K1500 Suburban, 385cc, .040" over stroker,Patriot heads ,1.6:1 roller rockers,224-236 113 lsa cam , Edelbrock Intake (performer RPM) Holley TBI Adapter, BBC TBI with vAFPR,Transgo Shift Kit, Dynomax cat back with Edelbrock ceramic TES Headers. Paxton SN93 s/c, electric fans 4.10 posi

i have 2 oil sensors... one for the oil temp and one for the pressure. don't know which is what but one is on the rear block with the brass fitting by the dizzy.... the other is on the lower driver side of the block with a flat tip.
    Last edited by synergyglow; 07-25-2007 at 12:54 AM.
    It's ugly but atleast it's sort of run'n.

'89 k2500 - sealed beam, gold/red/black, rusted

Thanks guys. It is a two wheel drive so it should block. sounds simple enough.

SWBLS12B

Since it is a vortec motor it is behind the distributor like in the pic. above. G.M. stopped using the one above the filter back in 1990 and went to a switch and sending unit all in one like in the pic.
    88 Ext. cab longbed TPI 350
    99 Suburban LS Vortec 350
    90 SWB Silverado 5.3l and 4l60e 4 sale will part out
    2003 Z66 Avalanche

i have both of those switches on mine. i thought the one by the distributor was the sending unit for the comp and the one on the block was for the gauge? i have a buddy with a 99 obs 1ton and he has the same setup i do.

SWBLS12B

Quote Originally Posted by 1ugly88
    i have both of those switches on mine. i thought the one by the distributor was the sending unit for the comp and the one on the block was for the gauge? i have a buddy with a 99 obs 1ton and he has the same setup i do.
    I am assuming your buddy has a 454 and maybe they did not change them on the big blocks?
    My 99 sub with a 5.7 and the 5.7 vortec I have on the stand has the single sending unit/FPOP switch set-up. Just like in the pic.
    2003 Z66 Avalanche

his is only a 5.7 that's kinda weird...

SWBLS12B

Makes you wonder what is going thru an engineers mind when they design something.
    2003 Z66 Avalanche

pfk

Quote Originally Posted by long&low
    Since it is a vortec motor it is behind the distributor like in the pic. above. G.M. stopped using the one above the filter back in 1990 and went to a switch and sending unit all in one like in the pic.

That is exactly what I thought however when I looked it up in alldata, they had both listed
    1995 GMC K1500 Suburban, 385cc, .040" over stroker,Patriot heads ,1.6:1 roller rockers,224-236 113 lsa cam , Edelbrock Intake (performer RPM) Holley TBI Adapter, BBC TBI with vAFPR,Transgo Shift Kit, Dynomax cat back with Edelbrock ceramic TES Headers. Paxton SN93 s/c, electric fans 4.10 posi