***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Clicking noise in front end 99 Tahoe 4wd

This is a discussion on Clicking noise in front end 99 Tahoe 4wd within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have this weird clicking noise in the front end of my 1999 Tahoe 4wd. I thought at first it ...

Question Clicking noise in front end 99 Tahoe 4wd

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have this weird clicking noise in the front end of my 1999 Tahoe 4wd. I thought at first it was a broken brake pad. It sounds almost like a piece of wire would sound in a bicycle tire. I only hear it at low speeds, but that may be due to road noise drowning it out otherwise. It is really prevalent when pulling into my garage or at a drive thru. I think that is because of the noise bouncing off walls. Anyway, I replaced brakes all the way around a few weeks ago, and the sound did not go away. I started thinking wheel bearings then, but the noise is absent when I jack up the truck and spin the tires. I can easily spin them to a speed matching the speed when I hear the noise. The only noise that is heard during spinning these tires is a SLIGHT catch on the rotors, but that sound is VERY different sound. Someone suggested a bad front axle actuator, but I have been in my yard and ran through all the modes on the transfer case and everything works fine when I do that, and the noise is still present. I am at the end of my rope here. There is nothing else I know to do.

Also, I wanted to check the diff fluid in the front end, but honestly can't figure out where to do so. I have spent hours on the internet looking to no avail.

Anyone with ideas is welcome to PLEASE respond. Thanks!

Re: Clicking noise in front end 99 Tahoe 4wd

I just posted a thread for this exact problem. What, if anything, did you figure out?

Has anyone ever found out the cause of this problem? I have ruled out CV axels, brakes and bearings, just leaves the front differential ?

I'm getting some noise out of the front of my '00 Z71 as well. I don't have any play in the CV shafts and the noise doesn't sound like a bearing. It comes and goes but once in a while sounds like something's gonna come apart!
    I've serviced the front diff and the front driveshaft seems solid as well. All the 4WD modes function properly.
    Any ideas?