If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

View Poll Results: How many miles before you had to replace knock sensors on your new gen motor? 6.0, 5.

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • under 30k

2 2.00%
  • under 50k

2 2.00%
  • under 80k

11 11.00%
  • under 100k

13 13.00%
  • over 100k

72 72.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Knock sensor replacement, 6.0, 5.3, 4.8

This is a discussion on Knock sensor replacement, 6.0, 5.3, 4.8 within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; After how many miles were the knock sensors under your intake going bad, and was it just one or both ...

Can't find em' grind em'

Knock sensor replacement, 6.0, 5.3, 4.8

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    After how many miles were the knock sensors under your intake going bad, and was it just one or both of them? what cause the failure, water damage, foreign objects, wire getting interfearence, etc. I had to replace my rear knock sensor on a 2004 2500 hd with only 27k on it! the rear sensor was completely water destroyed. i only sprayed my engine compartment clean once, the truck came from new hampshire where it must have sat under some kind of tree, because when i popped my intake off there was a good big hand full of some kind of tree nuts, almost looked like corn kernels. shop vac took care of that stuff, then i put everything back in with a generous amount of silicone to seal the sensor and the wire. only took me and my friend about an hour and a half. and that was with beer breaks.
    Last edited by MeangreenHD; 09-25-2007 at 12:25 PM.

Re: Knock sensor replacement, 6.0, 5.3, 4.8

Quote Originally Posted by MeangreenHD
    After how many miles were the knock sensors under your intake going bad, and was it just one or both of them? what cause the failure, water damage, foreign objects, wire getting interfearence, etc. I had to replace my rear knock sensor on a 2004 2500 hd with only 27k on it! the rear sensor was completely water destroyed. i only sprayed my engine compartment clean once, the truck came from new hampshire where it must have sat under some kind of tree, because when i popped my intake off there was a good big hand full of some kind of tree nuts, almost looked like corn kernels. shop vac took care of that stuff, then i put everything back in with a generous amount of silicone to seal the sensor and the wire. only took me and my friend about an hour and a half. and that was with beer breaks.
    Sounds like a rat or something carried that crap in there. Did you check the wires good. They like to chew on them, especially the knock sensor wires.

130k and still havent had to do them.

If its loud, fast and runs on flammable liquid......count me in.
    Built LQ9...blah blah blah

On my four service trucks 2000, 01 03 & 04 no failed knock sensors. My 2000 has over 228000 hard miles on it.
    04 K1500 Silverado EXT 3:73 gears, 5.3L 265/75-16,Pace Edwards tonneau,

replace only when they fail, there is no life expectancy on them like o2 sensors or spark plugs
    ASE Master Certified Technician

2000 Silverado 6.0 4L80E 2wd
    *RIP*1994 Z71 SCLB 355, Dart Heads, 10.5:1 CR, PM rods, CC XR270HR

anybody have the link for the tsb on replacing knock sensors. Mine just failed
    2007 silverado NNBS ccsb 3.23s 4.8l....neeeeeeed's stuff

mine just went out.. any tips help on replacing it ? i am on a budged this time so i am going to do it my self.. the sensors are cheap.. my check engine light turn on like 3 days ago. autozone told me it was my knock sensor. p0332 . so yeah any tips ? tools i need ? etc.. thanks.. .

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_J
    mine just went out.. any tips help on replacing it ? i am on a budged this time so i am going to do it my self.. the sensors are cheap.. my check engine light turn on like 3 days ago. autozone told me it was my knock sensor. p0332 . so yeah any tips ? tools i need ? etc.. thanks.. .
    go here:http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/...nt-w-pics.html
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

Not a bad job to do, just got finished doing mine. Only took about hour and a half, and had to let the truck cool down, and clean the dirt and mud from under the intake in the rear.
    99', ECSB Z71, 5.3, 31" Cooper Discoverer A/Ts, K&N FIPK, and a little something here and there.

over 100k, happened a week after a thorough washing of engine bay

If you find tree matter that far into the engine bay then that's a good sign of mice infestation.

The best way to ensure that the knock sensors don't fail so early is to avoid the urge to power wash the engine bay and if you must wash off a degreaser then try to avoid sending water into the intake area because it will pool up around the rear sensor and corrode it. My dad made that mistake and got the rear knock sensor code for his efforts. The light went out a few days after he soaked the engine bay but I'm sure it will come back on soon and then I will more than likely end up doing the knock sensor replace work. Yipeee
    00 RCSB Z71/JBA cat-back/Z71 Tahoe valance/EBC slotted&drilled rotors with SS lines & SS braided hoses/Edelbrock headers/BB tune/6000k HID low beam & fog lamps/Auto-headlight disable mod(nice)/Vette servo/LT1 E-fans/LED gauge cluster/Titan 18" wheels/Rollpan/Belltech rear sway bar/2-4 drop

Part of the TSB, GM's "fix" if you will, is to build a "dam" of silicone around the knock sensor holes to stop water from running in there. You really only see knock sensor failure in these trucks if it's a wet climate or the owner washes the engine frequently. Always replace the knock sensor mini-harness while you're in there.
    Gov't/ASE Certified Master Automotive Technician w/ Red Seal
    2000 Chevrolet K2500 CCSB 454
    10:1 compression, ZZ502 cam and timing set, adjustable valvetrain, roller tip rockers, custom heads, Bosch 30lb injectors, custom programming, custom exhaust, high volume oil pump w/ steel shaft guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Bacon View Post
    Part of the TSB, GM's "fix" if you will, is to build a "dam" of silicone around the knock sensor holes to stop water from running in there. You really only see knock sensor failure in these trucks if it's a wet climate or the owner washes the engine frequently. Always replace the knock sensor mini-harness while you're in there.
    2 year old thread bump ftw.

I changed my knock sensors in January, did NOT change the mini harness. Still throwing code that knock sensors are bad and now the engine is knocking intermittently. Im going to change the harness this weekend, but my question is....Is it possible to by faulty knock sensors, or is the problem most likely the harness. And does haveing bad knock sensors/harness cause the engine to knock. I was told by 2 different mechanics not to be too concerned, although i am still going to fix it if possible.
    Sig removed by staff.

Max sig size at FSC.com is
    500 x 200

It's What Lurks Within...

Quote Originally Posted by Tweaks View Post
    If you find tree matter that far into the engine bay then that's a good sign of mice infestation.

The best way to ensure that the knock sensors don't fail so early is to avoid the urge to power wash the engine bay and if you must wash off a degreaser then try to avoid sending water into the intake area because it will pool up around the rear sensor and corrode it. My dad made that mistake and got the rear knock sensor code for his efforts. The light went out a few days after he soaked the engine bay but I'm sure it will come back on soon and then I will more than likely end up doing the knock sensor replace work. Yipeee
    I know the thread is old as is this post but pressure washing the engine bay has nothing to do with it. Just as many, and in fact probably more knock sensors go on LS's that have never been cleaned in their entire life. I have had LS engine GM's of various mileage since their inception. I have yet to change a knock sensor once and religously clean the engine with the same hot water pressure washer I clean the rest of the truck with every single time I wash. It's more a luck of the draw and how well the factory sealed it....

Old i know but mine just went today. Both failed. I washed the motor two days ago : (
    2000 Z71 RCSB 5.3 V8 285s Straight piped
    K&N air intake. Esky cluster

Ok guys found the knock sensors at Autozone...what about the harness, what would that be called, I cant seem to find it anywhere? Also what gasket did you use, Autozone carries two types of gaskets, both Felpro I believe...one for $70 and one for $30-40?
    '02 GMC Sierra EC SLT Z71 - Custom EFI Live Economy Tune, K&N Filter, Weathertech Floor Liners, Black UWS Chestbox, Superior Liners Spray-on

bump
    '02 GMC Sierra EC SLT Z71 - Custom EFI Live Economy Tune, K&N Filter, Weathertech Floor Liners, Black UWS Chestbox, Superior Liners Spray-on

Just did mine today, not too bad of a job but it is a bit time consuming, 130,400 miles on the truck
    01 GMC SIERRA, 6" RCD lift, 33's soon to be 35's

Quote Originally Posted by GMC_Z71 View Post
    Ok guys found the knock sensors at Autozone...what about the harness, what would that be called, I cant seem to find it anywhere? Also what gasket did you use, Autozone carries two types of gaskets, both Felpro I believe...one for $70 and one for $30-40?
    bump for you. I'd like to know if the more expensive gasket is necessary like on the old Gen I vortecs just for future reference.
    2003 GMC Sierra RCSB 1500 2wd, 5.3L, 3.73s w/ g80 locker

Stock 98 C1500 RCLB Vortec 305

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast