GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

NBS 5.3L Coolant Flush

This is a discussion on NBS 5.3L Coolant Flush within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; First off I searched and couldn't find anything solid on this. I have a 2001 5.3L z71 with 68,000 miles. ...

NBS 5.3L Coolant Flush

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    First off I searched and couldn't find anything solid on this.

I have a 2001 5.3L z71 with 68,000 miles. The maitenance has been kept up extremley well. However I have never tackled the coolant on this rig. I have done it a million times on the old TBI 350's, but this 5.3L is a different animal. No radiator cap the overfill is actually pressurized that is you fill point for radiator. On the older motors I would drain the radiator with cap off and flush with garden hose using a T I had installed on heater hose. I don't know it the same method will work on the 5.3L. Anybody have a step by step for these newer motors. Thanks in advance.

Re: NBS 5.3L Coolant Flush

Hello..................anybody done this?????...Whats the most effective way to flush and does anybody know how much water the block holds so I can get a 50/50 mix back in the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Trolin
    Hello..................anybody done this?????...Whats the most effective way to flush and does anybody know how much water the block holds so I can get a 50/50 mix back in the system.
    Hello..................to drain remove the overfill reservior cap, the lower radaitor hose, and block drain plugs if ya have'em. After your final flush/drain fill the system, run the engine to operating temp, let cool, top off coolant. Repeat if necessary. The cap on the overfill reservior is your radiator cap, and the system holds about 15qts. Adios....................
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy' until you have a hand full of chunkin rocks.

04'-K2500HD-LQ4-Westers 93 HOT tune

Joe

There are some good tips in this thread

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/...ant-flush.html
    2007 Trailblazer SS - Red Jewel
    2000 GMC Sierra Z71 SOLD! - Mods // Michigan Classics // My Garage // My ebaY auctions
    Hot Rod Search

Hey Trolin; Here's how you do it. You go to Lowes and look around in water sprinklers and nozzles for this:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...1GF&lpage=none

Cut the end off and take away the spring so you have an adapter that goes onto the end of your garden hose.

Open the drain on the radiator and take off the radiator cap to let everything out.

Next, at the firewall, pick a heater core hose. doesn't matter, whichever's easiest. Gently pull the hose off the core and point it down and away from stuff.

Then, insert the adapter you made onto the heater core fitting, gently, you don't want to kink it in any way.

Turn on the water and flush until your satisfied. The engine doesn't need to be running at all.

Turn off the water, reconnect the hose, let it all drain and check your manual for the total capacity of your system. I think for 4.8 and 5.3 they're the same. 16.7 qts. I round up to get a bit more than 50/50.

So, 17 cut in half is 8.5 qts. That's two whole gallons, plus a 16oz soda bottle full of pure 100% antifreeze. Pour all that in and top with water. Warm it up and cool it down, then check the level. Add 50/50 to top it off.

It's easy, thorough, and you never see a hot engine. In cars we're lucky. There are lines that sprig off the main system to do other work. Meaning the heater core. You tap one of those lines and that puts you behind the thermostat. Flush away, add half the total system capacity in pure antifreeze and the rest water. No comebacks! Good luck!

I think the easiest way to do it is to just take to a shop and have them flush it with there machine. Its really not that expensive and a lot less hassle. Just me .02

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo
    I think the easiest way to do it is to just take to a shop and have them flush it with there machine. Its really not that expensive and a lot less hassle. Just me .02
    that is exactly what I did
    2007 Trailblazer SS - Red Jewel
    2000 GMC Sierra Z71 SOLD! - Mods // Michigan Classics // My Garage // My ebaY auctions
    Hot Rod Search

If it has a 5.3 the heater core hoses have a special fitting. You just cant pull them off. It a quick disconnect fitting like the fuel lines but bigger. I have never been able to find the tool for it.

Well I just got back from hunting and I think I'll just take it to the shop. I tell you what this stuff was a lot f'in easier on my 92 than on this new truck, deep down I want my old truck back :\

how much does it cost at the dealership