***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Need inf on 02 8.1L 496 Engines

This is a discussion on Need inf on 02 8.1L 496 Engines within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Dad has an 02 C-2500 with the 8.1L 496 engine. It has been messing up lately and will run rough ...

Need inf on 02 8.1L 496 Engines

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Dad has an 02 C-2500 with the 8.1L 496 engine. It has been messing up lately and will run rough and sometimes die if he is idling or running at low RPM's. If you are on the road it runs fine. It had a check engine light and the main problem showed up as a Cam Position Sensor. Dad has already checked and changed teh fuel filter before I read the codes. His truck has less than 50000 miles on it. When the truck does die it sometimes is hard to start but not always. Dad has purchsed a Cam Position Sensor but can not find where it goes. He bought a Haynes Manual but it doesn't cover the 8.1L engine and Auto Zone can not get a manual for it. Does any know what could be going on with his truck or have any skematics on the 8.1 engine or know where to find them?

Operations Manager TS Performance

Re: Need inf on 02 8.1L 496 Engines

was it a code for the cam or crank sensor? if the cam sensor its in the front cover. if its the crank its on the top side of the back of the block near the driver side head. its kind of a pain to get out. we have had a couple trucks come in with stalling problems and ended up needed a crank sensor. it will help if you can get me the exact code.

1999 tahoe limited. DD (sold) replaced with 09 crew cab.
    1988 gmc rcsb winter/plow truck
    1995 gmc ecsb project truck

I don't have to code number but I do remember it was the Cam Position Sensor. I have had to replace the crank sensor in my 97 and the sensor dad bought looks very similar but the package says its teh cam sensor. Where at exactly is the cam sensor on the front cover?
    Thanks

Operations Manager TS Performance

its on the driver side of the front cover near the top. the crank sensor for the 8.1l is huge so im sure you have the cam sensor.

1999 tahoe limited. DD (sold) replaced with 09 crew cab.
    1988 gmc rcsb winter/plow truck
    1995 gmc ecsb project truck