If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Autoride Disconnect

This is a discussion on Autoride Disconnect within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I know this subject has come up before and I haven't had any luck finding an answer to completely disconnect ...

Autoride Disconnect

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I know this subject has come up before and I haven't had any luck finding an answer to completely disconnect the system and throw away the Autoride shocks until now. I hope.
    I have the Helm manual for my 02 2500 Suburban (With Autoride) and have been reading it intensively and here is what I think I found out. First off, because my truck is a 2500 it doesn't have the load leveling feature with the air pump.
    The system is controlled by the SCM (Suspension Control Module)which detects body roll and suspension movement and adjusts the shocks accordingly. This info is also fed to the BCM(Body Control Module)which also monitors wheel speed, ABS and the EVO. The RPO codes (Z55 and ZK3) are input into the BCM which monitors all the functions of these 2 codes and if you disconnect the shocks or the system detects a voltage flux or change you get the light show on the dash. The Manual states that if you replace the BCM you are supposed to input all your RPO codes into it. If you disconnect the SCM and then input all your RPO codes into the BCM except the 2 autoride codes the system shouldn't detect the Autoride. The reason for disconnecting the SCM is so the BCM doesn't receive any info from it about the suspension. I read on GM-Trucks that a guy with Autoride on his rig pulled the fuse and had no problems except for the light show on the dash. The only catch here is you have to have the GM scan tool to do the programming. I don't know for sure if this idea will work but logic dictates it should so I want to throw it out there to see if anyone has had success getting rid of this system. I don't want to spend $1600.00 to replace the shocks when they finally pack it in. The dealer wouldn't give me any help as well. Let me know what you think and feel free to throw any questions at me in case I missed something. Sorry for the long post.

Re: Autoride Disconnect

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqson
    I know this subject has come up before and I haven't had any luck finding an answer to completely disconnect the system and throw away the Autoride shocks until now. I hope.
    I have the Helm manual for my 02 2500 Suburban (With Autoride) and have been reading it intensively and here is what I think I found out. First off, because my truck is a 2500 it doesn't have the load leveling feature with the air pump.
    The system is controlled by the SCM (Suspension Control Module)which detects body roll and suspension movement and adjusts the shocks accordingly. This info is also fed to the BCM(Body Control Module)which also monitors wheel speed, ABS and the EVO. The RPO codes (Z55 and ZK3) are input into the BCM which monitors all the functions of these 2 codes and if you disconnect the shocks or the system detects a voltage flux or change you get the light show on the dash. The Manual states that if you replace the BCM you are supposed to input all your RPO codes into it. If you disconnect the SCM and then input all your RPO codes into the BCM except the 2 autoride codes the system shouldn't detect the Autoride. The reason for disconnecting the SCM is so the BCM doesn't receive any info from it about the suspension. I read on GM-Trucks that a guy with Autoride on his rig pulled the fuse and had no problems except for the light show on the dash. The only catch here is you have to have the GM scan tool to do the programming. I don't know for sure if this idea will work but logic dictates it should so I want to throw it out there to see if anyone has had success getting rid of this system. I don't want to spend $1600.00 to replace the shocks when they finally pack it in. The dealer wouldn't give me any help as well. Let me know what you think and feel free to throw any questions at me in case I missed something. Sorry for the long post.

I found out the answer, for anyone who's interested. All you have to do is reprogram the BCM without the Autoride RPO Codes (Z55 for the 2500) and (ZK3 and Z55 for the 1500). Once this is done the BCM will no longer recognize the signals from the SCM and you can disconnect those ridiculously priced shocks and replace them with whatever type of shock you choose.

Good info!
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy' until you have a hand full of chunkin rocks.

04'-K2500HD-LQ4-Westers 93 HOT tune

I found out the answer, for anyone who's interested. All you have to do is reprogram the BCM without the Autoride RPO Codes (Z55 for the 2500) and (ZK3 and Z55 for the 1500). Once this is done the BCM will no longer recognize the signals from the SCM and you can disconnect those ridiculously priced shocks and replace them with whatever type of shock you choose.
    Damn! Its great to see info on this! Thank YOU, As I too have autoride. I think I remember trying to figure this out with you awhile back? How did you figure it out under 24hrs from your original post? Is there a member that PM'ed you that I owe a big thanks to also?

Project- 1976 C-10 472 Cadillac Big Block
    -Chad

Wheeler

Great info, i know a few people that will be happy to know they can buy normal shocks now.
    2000 Tahoe Z71, 14bFF 6 lug, 241 swap, bumpers, sliders.
    1988 K5, 350/700R/241 locked 10B, welded 12B, 35's, half doors.

Quote Originally Posted by blazenlo95
    Damn! Its great to see info on this! Thank YOU, As I too have autoride. I think I remember trying to figure this out with you awhile back? How did you figure it out under 24hrs from your original post? Is there a member that PM'ed you that I owe a big thanks to also?
    Nope, I figured it out on my own. I had an idea when I posted the thread last night but wasn't sure until I read the Helm manual again. Since these vehicles are mass produced it wouldn't be prudent for the manufacturer to not make them all similar with simple changes for options.(RPO Codes). I surfed the net for hours on end, checked with different dealers and I actually even called Delphi and strangley enough nobody knew or wouldn't tell me how the system could be deactivated. Maybe it was a liability issue, but for whatever reason you would almost think it was a matter of national security to tell me. I started reading the BCM info in the manual and it said that if you replace the BCM you must input the RPO codes from your vehicle back into it or things wouldn't work right. I then thought about reprogramming my BCM with all my RPO codes except the ones for the Autoride. I then called Lyndon Wester(Westers Garage) and asked him if my idea had any substance and he told me that it did. Apparently the PCM and the BCM can be reprogrammed separately. I am now going to send him my BCM and have the Autoride RPO codes removed. Once that is done the system will ignore the input from the SCM and the truck will work just like it never had Autoride. Goodbye Shocks.

Nope, I figured it out on my own. I had an idea when I posted the thread last night but wasn't sure until I read the Helm manual again. Since these vehicles are mass produced it wouldn't be prudent for the manufacturer to not make them all similar with simple changes for options.(RPO Codes). I surfed the net for hours on end, checked with different dealers and I actually even called Delphi and strangley enough nobody knew or wouldn't tell me how the system could be deactivated. Maybe it was a liability issue, but for whatever reason you would almost think it was a matter of national security to tell me. I started reading the BCM info in the manual and it said that if you replace the BCM you must input the RPO codes from your vehicle back into it or things wouldn't work right. I then thought about reprogramming my BCM with all my RPO codes except the ones for the Autoride. I then called Lyndon Wester(Westers Garage) and asked him if my idea had any substance and he told me that it did. Apparently the PCM and the BCM can be reprogrammed separately. I am now going to send him my BCM and have the Autoride RPO codes removed. Once that is done the system will ignore the input from the SCM and the truck will work just like it never had Autoride. Goodbye Shocks.
    Well! It does make sense and...

THANK YOU for sharing. You the man!!

Project- 1976 C-10 472 Cadillac Big Block
    -Chad

OK, Final Update. I got my PCM and BCM back from Lyndon Wester and I am happy to say that everything operates properly. . The Autoride is gone and there are no error codes on the dash. Every other option and piece of standard equipment works perfectly in the truck. So if anyone else is interested in getting this done it's a piece of cake. You can now toss those Autoride Shocks, replace them with Bilstein 5100's($250.00 for all 4) or whatever shock you prefer, and not worry about getting raped when you have to replace those Electronic Shocks.
    Last edited by Jacqson; 01-08-2008 at 11:42 AM.

OK, Final Update. I got my PCM and BCM back from Lyndon Wester and I am happy to say that everything operates properly. . The Autoride is gone and there are no error codes on the dash. Every other option and piece of standard equipment works perfectly in the truck. So if anyone else is interested in getting this done it's a piece of cake. You can now toss those Autoride Shocks, replace them with Bilstein 5100's($235.00 for all 4) or whatever shock you prefer, and not worry about getting raped when you have to replace those Electronic Shocks.

Here is the Final Final update. In addition to the above info you also have to disconnect the SCM(Suspension Control Module) Once that is done there will be no information about Autoride sent to the BCM. Also,leaving the SCM connected and just removing the RTD fuse will not stop the error codes. You must disconnect the SCM. If anyone wants anymore info, Please let me know. I will try and do a sticky on the whole subject for everyone to see.

How much did it cost to have the BCM reprogrammed? Where did you disconnect the SCM, at the BCM or elsewhere? How long did Lyndon take to reprogram it? I'd be willing to sen it to him since he knows how to do it now. I have an '03 Escalade that i am looking at disabling Autoride so I can replace the rear shocks with airbags (yes, I'm going lower with it)
    rookie929 likes this.

Here is the Final Final update. In addition to the above info you also have to disconnect the SCM(Suspension Control Module) Once that is done there will be no information about Autoride sent to the BCM. Also,leaving the SCM connected and just removing the RTD fuse will not stop the error codes. You must disconnect the SCM. If anyone wants anymore info, Please let me know. I will try and do a sticky on the whole subject for everyone to see.

Finally, the Final, Final, Final update. I've been driving the truck for about a month now in different driving conditions including off road and there are no problems to report. The ride on the truck is a little smoother with the Bilsteins and everything is working perfect. The handling and braking have not changed and other than the better ride there is no difference in the way the truck works, except for the fact that when I need shocks I won't go bankrupt trying to buy them. Just a small note, the SCM has a list price of $730.00 U.S.(It's probably a lot more in Canada)and the best price I could find on one was $490.00. If anybody is looking for one of these I will sell this thing cheap. Just a few notes: First, my Suburban is a 2500 and rides quite firm as I have heavier than stock T-bars, Alcan custom Springs and Polyurethane Bushings in the LCA, UCA, Body Mounts, Rear Spring Eyes and Hangers. IMHO, If this project is done on a 1500 you will probably have to firm up the rear coils and definitely use a good set of monotube shocks like Bilsteins. I have always felt that Autoride was never a good idea on a 2500, but since a 1500 has a much better ride it may be beneficial, however, this conversion will work on any SUV up to 06 with the Autoride function. It might even work on an 07. Any questions, let me know. And they said: "You couldn't disconnect Autoride".
    Last edited by Jacqson; 01-02-2008 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lil' biatch
    How much did it cost to have the BCM reprogrammed? Where did you disconnect the SCM, at the BCM or elsewhere? How long did Lyndon take to reprogram it? I'd be willing to sen it to him since he knows how to do it now. I have an '03 Escalade that i am looking at disabling Autoride so I can replace the rear shocks with airbags (yes, I'm going lower with it)

It cost about $125.00 including shipping both ways. Give Lyndon a call for an estimate. If your Escalade is an EXT the SCM is under one of the rear seats otherwise it's behind the rear right panel closest to the rear hatch. You have to remove the rear panel to get to it. Once you recieve your reprogrammed BCM and have it installed, disconnect all 3 plugs on the SCM and then start your truck. If you don't get a "Service Ride Control" light on your dash after the 5th time you start the truck, everything should be fine. You can then remove the Autoride shocks, position sensors and all the other related parts. Make sure you disconnect the negative battery terminal before removing and reinstalling your BCM. It took Lyndon about 1 day to do the reprogramming, but it all depends on how busy he is. It was about a 1 week turnaround including the shipping to have mine done. All the contact info is on his website(westers_garage.eidnet.org). As far as I know you have to send the BCM to Lyndon as I don't think any of his dealers do this procedure, although you could check just to make sure. I hope this helps. Also, if you can't have any downtime on your rig you can have Lyndon program a BCM for your truck and have it sent to you and you can send your existing BCM back to him, that way you will have minimal downtime. I have an extra vehicle for my DD so not having the truck for a week was no big deal.
    Last edited by Jacqson; 01-02-2008 at 11:22 PM.

Thanks man. Appreciate the help. Let me know how you do selling that SCM! If you get a second buyer send them my way!!!

Does the load leveling system prevent this procedure from working? I have an '04 4x4 Tahoe LT w/ Autoride and towing package (w/ load leveling).

Thanks,
    monsoon
    Last edited by monsoon; 07-15-2008 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by monsoon
    Does the load leveling system prevent this procedure from working? I have an '04 4x4 Tahoe LT w/ Autoride and towing package (w/ load leveling).

Thanks,
    monsoon
    Unfortunately, the load leveling system is integrated with the Autoride on the 1500's. If you do this procedure the load leveling will no longer be automatic. You could disable the system and use a heavier coil spring in the rear or an air shock. You could also connect the air compressor up manually. The 2500's don't have the Automatic level control so it's not an issue on those trucks.

I have an 03 XL Denali that I put Eibachs on & have tried the longer rods on the sensors, & it still rides like it has no shocks. Are you saying I can just take these off & put the Bilsteins on, as long as I can deal with the dash info?
    Do I have to do the fronts also?
    Thanks, Steve

Quote Originally Posted by leonsup
    I have an 03 XL Denali that I put Eibachs on & have tried the longer rods on the sensors, & it still rides like it has no shocks. Are you saying I can just take these off & put the Bilsteins on, as long as I can deal with the dash info?
    Do I have to do the fronts also?
    Thanks, Steve
    Basically Yes, depending on whether you have the load leveling feature on your truck. You have to disconnect the SCM and have the BCM reprogrammed by Westers. The idea is to not have the BCM recieve signals telling the system the Autoride is disconnected. Once you reprogram the BCM and remove the SCM you can get rid of all the Autoride crap like the shocks and the position sensors. Also, part of your problem may be the Eibach's as they are a lot firmer than the factory springs and may not allow the suspension to move which may give you the feeling the shocks aren't working. I know when I removed the Autoride from my Burban and replaced the shocks with Bilsteins my ride noticeably improved. Hope this helps. Also, you cannot just replace the rear shocks, you have to replace both front and rear. There no such thing as half an Autoride system. it's all or nothing.

I have a 2002 Tahoe 2WD with autoride. I want to perform this conversion but I need a recommendation on what rear coil springs to install. The autoride coils are sprung weak and I am afraid the rear end will sag.

Quote Originally Posted by magbluff View Post
    I have a 2002 Tahoe 2WD with autoride. I want to perform this conversion but I need a recommendation on what rear coil springs to install. The autoride coils are sprung weak and I am afraid the rear end will sag.
    See if you can find a set of rear springs from a 01-06 1500 Suburban with the Z71 package. These trucks have a GVW of 7200lbs. I'm pretty sure they will mount on your Tahoe, if not find a set of rear springs from a Tahoe without the load leveling option.
    2011 Silverado 3500HD CCSB 4x4, S&B Intake w/ cold air scoop, Banks Monster Exhaust, Kennedy Lift Pumps, Nicktane Adapter, Cognito Leveling kit w/UCA's, Bilstein 5100's, Bushwacker OEM Flares, Nitto Terra's 295/70/18, Rigid Dually HD D2's, Edge Insight, Rare Parts HD Tie Rods.

My son is a gm tech. We have access to the tech II so the reflash is not an issue. The proper coil spring replacement was the issue. Thanks for the info.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast