If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Where to wire accesories (12v ignition)?

This is a discussion on Where to wire accesories (12v ignition)? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; OK...all the aftermarket accessories and stuff require a 12v positive switched source, right? Well, Everybody says "just wire it to ...

Where to wire accesories (12v ignition)?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    OK...all the aftermarket accessories and stuff require a 12v positive switched source, right? Well, Everybody says "just wire it to the ignition" or "a 12v switched source" or something like that. I've put a couple things on my truck that require a 12v switched source but I've never used the "ignition" source. Where EXACTLY does everybody wire their accessories to? Where is the ignition 12v area where I can put all of my accessory switched power wires on?

Thanks for clearing this up...I realize it's a pretty basic question, but I've tried many places with a 12v tester and I can't find one that is switched by the key. (work with me, lol)
    91 K1500 ECSB
    LQ4/80E/241/60/14SF/4.88/38s
    98 2Dr Tahoe
    L31/0411/60E/241/4.10/285s
    EFILive

Re: Where to wire accesories (12v ignition)?

Quote Originally Posted by 91chevZ71
    Thanks for clearing this up...I realize it's a pretty basic question, but I've tried many places with a 12v tester and I can't find one that is switched by the key. (work with me, lol)
    Not tryin' to be a dick, but you are testing by turning the key correct?

Pull your radio, and find the wire which has your acc power, and splice onto it. Run a wire from either your fuse panel (new circuit) or battery (fuse it) and a ground wire from a decent ground. Then run a wire from your aftermarket accessory to the same location, and tie them all together in a relay. (uses small amount of power from the acc power to switch on the fused power)

You do not want everything ran off of the truck's acc power.
    '99 Tahoe - Whitey
    '03 Tahoe - Blackey

yah, I tested with the key on.
    Yah, I probably should set up another area just for accessories...that's a good idea.
    So, run a wire from the acc on the radio harness to the relay, a fused 12v from battery to the relay, a ground from the relay to ground source, and then all acc switched wires to the last terminal on the relay?
    I don't know jack about electronics, but I think I can figure it out
    Last edited by 91chevZ71; 11-09-2007 at 10:51 AM.
    91 K1500 ECSB
    98 2Dr Tahoe
    EFILive

I spliced the switches for my fog and driving lights into my parking light wire so that they would only be on when my lights are on so I don't wind up with dead batteries.

1994 K1500 350
    K&N Open Element, MSD 6A, Cobalt SS E-fans, BFG A/Ts, Cat-back duals, TSX HID retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    I'm out of state withno Internet. I had to fix the forum with my iPhone. Sorry guys

Most automotive Bosch style relays have the diagram on them, so it's quite easy... Check the draw on your items too. If they're drawing too much, you'll want them on a separate relay, and then you'll have to upgrade the wiring to the relays, and probably need a small distribution block of some sort.
    '99 Tahoe - Whitey
    '03 Tahoe - Blackey

Because I Said So... srlbotanical's Avatar

In my 97, there are two separately fused accessory posts adjacent to the fuse bank under the hood. This is a great place to draw your power from. Your source of power doesn't need to be switched if you are using a relay, only the power that triggers the relay needs to be switched. I just use a relay and then tie into lights, a toggle, or whatever for the "switch" power.

• 97 Chevy 4x4 extended cab 5.7L, the Daily Driver
    • 97 Jeep TJ locked and heavily modified, the Toy
    • 99 GMC Suburban SLE, the Family Tow Pig
    • Check out my ABS Override Switch.

Quote Originally Posted by srlbotanical
    In my 97, there are two separately fused accessory posts adjacent to the fuse bank under the hood. This is a great place to draw your power from. Your source of power doesn't need to be switched if you are using a relay, only the power that triggers the relay needs to be switched. I just use a relay and then tie into lights, a toggle, or whatever for the "switch" power.

Always switch the power to the relay... Because, it draws next to nothing, and you can use almost any style switch you want without having to worry about anything. (you of course, don't have to use a switch at all if you're going off acc power)
    '99 Tahoe - Whitey
    '03 Tahoe - Blackey

You can also pull power from the fuse box on the left side of your dash. There are lots of left over pins in there that have both constant power and ignition power. Just have to take your time and use a circuit tester to find out which pins have what. Also being careful when you put a connector on the pic to ensure you don't short it across anything else.

Have a nice day.

Bill

2005 Silverado 1500 LS 4x4 with Quadrasteer * BlackBear Performance Tune * 180 Thermostat * Airaid air intake * Dynatech Supermaxx headers with cats * Corsa dual side exit cat-back exhaust * 275/60/20 tires

thanks for the help, sounds like there are a few options.

Mike
    91 K1500 ECSB
    98 2Dr Tahoe
    EFILive