If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Truck won't warm up.

This is a discussion on Truck won't warm up. within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Ok I live in WI so it's been below freezing for a couple of weeks now. Yesterday I was driving ...

Truck won't warm up.

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Ok I live in WI so it's been below freezing for a couple of weeks now. Yesterday I was driving and my truck wouldn't warm up at all. It would get to about the 100 degree mark and pretty much stayed there until I got on the highway. When I got on the highway it only warmed up to about 150 or so. Today I put a new 195 degree thermostat in it, and it will warm up to the 155-160 degree line go a little above it and then drop about 5-10 degrees. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is causing it to not reach the normal operating temperature? It's a 95 rclb 5.7 liter with 72,000 miles on it.
    95 Z71 Silverado
    350 Auto RCLB lt headers, true duals, tb spacer, injector pod spacer, ultimate tbi mods, ud pulleys, electric fans, hids, cowl ind hood, tinted tails

94 Mustang
    351w swap in progress

Official FSC mascot!!!!! PHATSPEED7X's Avatar

Re: Truck won't warm up.

Humm? I would of thought thremostat too, but now you got me confused.

-1953 3100- -1991 K1500- -1999 Ford Ranger-

I was gonna say that the thermostat was stuck open, but thats out, it could be your guage, or the ECT(engine coolant temp)sensor

Maybe the gauge, i've heard they're notorious for being inaccurate.

1975 K10 Stepside- Tow vehicle and toy
    1964 Nova- Straight liner
    1956 Chevy 150- Cruiser under construction

I don't think it's the gauge. It blows out warm air out the vents, but not as warm as it should be. Where is the ECT sensor and how would I know if that is bad?
    95 Z71 Silverado
    350 Auto RCLB lt headers, true duals, tb spacer, injector pod spacer, ultimate tbi mods, ud pulleys, electric fans, hids, cowl ind hood, tinted tails

94 Mustang
    351w swap in progress

I Hate You All, Equally.

I know this is a stretch, but the new thermostat may be defective. take it out and stick it in a pot of boiling water to see if it opens and closes properly.

1983 Jimmy Sierra Classic-Future LSX Swap Recipient
    2002 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LT-Daily Driver
    1995 Corsica-Super-Sleeper in Progress

Try changing the radiator cap.
    Also, do you hear water sloshing around when you start it? Maybe you need to bleed the air out of the system.

Do you have good heat? If so I would say your guage isnt working right.

1996 2 Door Yukon 4X4. Dropped 3.5/4.5. All stock except a Wait4Me custom tune........for now.

hucking fates this server FordeatinZ71's Avatar

your clutch fan could possibly be staying engaged...so it's keeping the truck too cool in this cool temperature.

2004 GMC Sierra SLE Z71 rcsb, 5.3/4L60E/3.73/G80 time bomb...3" lift, tinted 03+ Silverado tails, plasti-dipped 16" wheels (unknown brand), 285/75/16 Thunderer M/T Extremes, Thrush Welded muffler...

The heat works good. I wouldn't say it's great. Yesterday when I was driving it the windows kept frosting up on the inside. Today after I replaced the thermostat the windows didn't frost up at all, but it also wasn't snowing (not sure if that makes a difference). I'll see how it is tomorrow driving to work. Thanks for the replies.
    95 Z71 Silverado

94 Mustang
    351w swap in progress

Not active, no PMs

There are two sensors for the block on the TBI 350s. One is located on top of the block next to the thermostat, which I believe is the one that controls the Fuel/Air for the TBI. The one you are after is located on the driver side of the block, right above the heat shield for the manifold, cant miss it. If I'm wrong, someone feel free to correct me as this is what I was told when workin on mine last month, however I just installed both new sensors anyways.

My problem did end up being my gauge in my old cluster, but a 15 dollar sensor is cheaper than you can get a gauge for.
    1988 Chevrolet Silverado - Sold
    Project 88 Thunder Build Thread

1987 Pontiac Trans Am [Restored]
    1988 Pontiac GTA
    2005 Trailblazer LT

Block off some of the air flowing through the radaitor and see if that helps.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy' until you have a hand full of chunkin rocks.

04'-K2500HD-LQ4-Westers 93 HOT tune