***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

EVAP Canister cleaning

This is a discussion on EVAP Canister cleaning within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Is there any way to clean the EVAP canister on a 1997 GMC K1500 4.3 5spd. I had the square/rectangular ...

EVAP Canister cleaning

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Is there any way to clean the EVAP canister on a 1997 GMC K1500 4.3 5spd. I had the square/rectangular canister mounted under the hood. I think its kinda clogged/restricted and causing my P0446 SES light. I have replaced the vent selinoid on the canister and cleaned the purge on the intake. If i can't clean this thing look like i'm in for a new one at around $100 . Any help is appreciated.

Re: EVAP Canister cleaning

Bump to the top, someone has to know something about this.

Someone has to have tried something or had experience with this.

Would love to help, but have never cleaned one before. Mine is sealed with silicone.

EVAP components are typically non servicable units and the only fix is to replace it, or live with the check engine light on. I'm not very familiar with the 96-00 OBS style EVAP system but I believe its also got an EVAP vent valve as well and its first in line for dirt contamination, and dirt that gets past it goes into the canister and contaminates it. What I'm trying to say is if you know you have dirt in the canister then you need a new vent valve as well. Typically is there is dirt in the vent valve is almost gauranteed there will be dirt in the canister. Get what I'm saying?
    1995 Silverado - ported vortec heads, 4L80E, efans, LT4 Hot Cam, Rear disc brake conversion w/drilled and slotted rotors
    1999 NBS Silverdo - transgo HD2 shift kit, 3 inch dynomax ultra flow, Ford keys and 305/70-16 Mickey ATZs

Quote Originally Posted by oldred95
    EVAP components are typically non servicable units and the only fix is to replace it, or live with the check engine light on. I'm not very familiar with the 96-00 OBS style EVAP system but I believe its also got an EVAP vent valve as well and its first in line for dirt contamination, and dirt that gets past it goes into the canister and contaminates it. What I'm trying to say is if you know you have dirt in the canister then you need a new vent valve as well. Typically is there is dirt in the vent valve is almost gauranteed there will be dirt in the canister. Get what I'm saying?

Agreed...thats the price of transportation

03 Sierra 5.3
    HP Tuners Tune - k&n CAI - Magnaflow Exh. - Trailblazer Stall - Superior billet servos - shift kit -
    Zo6 Springs - Comp 212/218 115 lsa - 160' stat - Det. Tru-trac - Ford keys & 4" Block - 305/70/16 STT's

Yeah i tried just replacing the vent valve to get rid of the light, after that is when i found out it was the canister. I guess i'll just have to buy one. I thought i read some where that you could blow low pressure air through the canister and tap it and maybe dislodge or break up the clogs in the filter. i was going to try this before i went and spent $100+ that a college kid can't afford.

As long as your gas tank isn't collapsing down then I'd run it with the light on. EVAP is a bunch of BS. All they are doing is taking the gas vapors from the fuel tank and burning it. The TBI's have a single little hose running from the fuel sendor to a charcoal canister under the hood that is supposed to collect gas vapor and then when vacuum is applied to the EVAP soleniod it opens allowing vacuum to suck the vapor from the canister. Its that simple but evidently simplicity doesn't cost enough to fix. I don't even have my EVAP solenoid hooked up and it doesn't even throw a code. Got to love OBDI.
    1995 Silverado - ported vortec heads, 4L80E, efans, LT4 Hot Cam, Rear disc brake conversion w/drilled and slotted rotors
    1999 NBS Silverdo - transgo HD2 shift kit, 3 inch dynomax ultra flow, Ford keys and 305/70-16 Mickey ATZs